Alaska 16B

My dad and I are finally able to pull the trigger on a moose hunt. We've talked about it for years but work doesn't allow me to typically plan far enough in advance to book a hunt like this. But the stars aligned properly and we head out this September. 10 DIY moose in 16B!
I haven't hunted Alaska since 2001 when we went for caribou. I plan on taking my bow and dad will be taking his rifle.
The camp gear and food is provided so all we need are clothes and weapons.
Trip is paid in full, hopefully the state will not restrict out of state hunters. I need to purchase the actual tag still but I'm holding off until closer to the hunt.
Is anyone familiar with that GMU?

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Where at in 16b? It’s got some decent hunting. It will also have some decent pressure since much of it is accessible by road. I plan on scouting parts of it this summer for possible hunt next season.

hunt1up

WKR
We just hunted in 16b. We were dropped by plane and the area we were in was THICK. We heard many moose but only laid eyes on one due to the terrain and I shot it. Moose were around but they just didn't cooperate enough to get another. There was plenty of airplane traffic and some other camps weren't too far away, maybe 1-2 miles away? I guess that's to be expected given the proximity to civilization.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Where at in 16b? It’s got some decent hunting. It will also have some decent pressure since much of it is accessible by road. I plan on scouting parts of it this summer for possible hunt next season.

You’re thinking 16A. That’s the road accessible area.

For the OP,

Make sure you get black bear tags. That area can be thick with them, and you’re allowed three black bear per year. This area is a perfect example of why non-residents shouldn’t have to have a guide for grizzly bear. Tons of bear, and they have been tearing up the moose population for years, and the state (and moose hunters) want way more taken. Everyone is allowed two grizzlies per year, but a non-resident can’t even take one if they are on a moose hunt and it walks in front of them (without hiring an unnecessary guide anyway). Why can you take three blackies without a guide, but not grizzlies? Makes no sense.

Are you getting dropped by float plane or wheels?

OP
matthew.l.powell80@gmail.
Good advise about the bear tags. But what do you do with 3dead bears? I've been told that they're not the best tasting. I don't like killing animals just to kill them. Are there places around that the meat can be donated? Or would this be a more of a nuisance tag?
We are going by float plane. Still need to figure out the best way to get the meat back. I'm stationed in up state NY. I have looked at Alaskan West but they stop in Ohio. May have to drive and meet them there.

AlaskaEd

WKR
You don’t have to get three, but even one gone will keep some moose calves around the next year. The area has been an active intensive management area on and off (currently inactive) for 15 years I think. In the recent past there was VERY liberal bear hunting rules due to predator control, so I guess you could think of it as a nuisance tag.

I don’t like killing for no reason either. Some folks like black bear meat, others don’t, you don’t know till you try. Even if you don’t like the meat, you‘ll have a nice bear rug and the satisfaction of knowing more moose will live another year.

OP
We just hunted in 16b. We were dropped by plane and the area we were in was THICK. We heard many moose but only laid eyes on one due to the terrain and I shot it. Moose were around but they just didn't cooperate enough to get another. There was plenty of airplane traffic and some other camps weren't too far away, maybe 1-2 miles away? I guess that's to be expected given the proximity to civilization.
I've heard that it's difficult to find high terrain around there. Best bet is said to be climbing a tree and glassing. Good to know that the area holds moose.
I haven't heard which lake we will land at but I can imagine that there will be several hunters in the area.
Congrats on taking one. We're you rifle or bow hunting?

AlaskaEd

WKR
It depends on where you go, but it’s likely there will be no high spots. Your best bet is calling the moose in, not spotting and stalking. Probably lots of swampy clearings, and the trees in that area aren’t the best for climbing. You’ll have to bring the moose out with calling and patience. This moose was from a 2017 fly-in solo hunt in 16B. He was 37” but I had an “anybull” tag. All swampy bog in the background. Even the spot where he fell turned to a mess and before I was done cutting I was standing in a few inches of water.
08A09196-0247-4B90-89EC-F368579653A5.jpeg

NUGGET

WKR
FYI there was a lot of dead moose this winter in 16B. Almost as bad as 2013. It’s going to be a tough year for a mature bull. Moose numbers were not that great going into the winter anyhow...

OP
FYI there was a lot of dead moose this winter in 16B. Almost as bad as 2013. It’s going to be a tough year for a mature bull. Moose numbers were not that great going into the winter anyhow...
Well that sucks! Is that due to the high numbers of predictors? I'm still optimistic and hope there is at least one shooter nearby. What happened in 2013?

OP
It depends on where you go, but it’s likely there will be no high spots. Your best bet is calling the moose in, not spotting and stalking. Probably lots of swampy clearings, and the trees in that area aren’t the best for climbing. You’ll have to bring the moose out with calling and patience. This moose was from a 2017 fly-in solo hunt in 16B. He was 37” but I had an “anybull” tag. All swampy bog in the background. Even the spot where he fell turned to a mess and before I was done cutting I was standing in a few inches of water.
View attachment 179680
Congratulations on the harvest! And thanks for the info. Did you see very many or was it scares? Sounds like I will need a good pair of hip boots then as opposed to my muck boots?
I'm assuming you're military?

NUGGET

WKR
Well that sucks! Is that due to the high numbers of predictors? I'm still optimistic and hope there is at least one shooter nearby. What happened in 2013?
No snow levels. Saw a video of dead moose all over. We had a bad winter in many areas this year. Finding a lot more dead moose in my travels than normal too.2013 was the last time we had a lot of snow....

There’s always shooters around. Good luck! Can’t beat AK in September...

OP
You’re thinking 16A. That’s the road accessible area.

For the OP,

Make sure you get black bear tags. That area can be thick with them, and you’re allowed three black bear per year. This area is a perfect example of why non-residents shouldn’t have to have a guide for grizzly bear. Tons of bear, and they have been tearing up the moose population for years, and the state (and moose hunters) want way more taken. Everyone is allowed two grizzlies per year, but a non-resident can’t even take one if they are on a moose hunt and it walks in front of them (without hiring an unnecessary guide anyway). Why can you take three blackies without a guide, but not grizzlies? Makes no sense.

Are you getting dropped by float plane or wheels?
Float plane. There is talk of going near big lakes or beluga inlet. Not 100% sure.
Any recommendations?

AlaskaEd

WKR
Congratulations on the harvest! And thanks for the info. Did you see very many or was it scares? Sounds like I will need a good pair of hip boots then as opposed to my muck boots?
I'm assuming you're military?

Yes I’m USAF EOD currently at JBER and Eielson up north before that. I have been lucky enough to be stationed in AK for 9 years now.

Muck boots would be fine, but I like hip boots with a long raincoat as well. That’s a great combo for sitting around in the rain.

That’s the only one I saw but I heard many more. I was shooting the first thing with horns, so this guy happed to be the lucky one. As I was packing him back to the river gravel bar after dark I had a big (sounding) bull follow me grunting on one of the trips. Didn’t see him, but he sure sounded big. Every night I would do some calling before I got into my sleeping bag and listen to all kinds of activity. I’ll be out there again this year, as I have another anybull tag.

hunt1up

WKR
I've heard that it's difficult to find high terrain around there. Best bet is said to be climbing a tree and glassing. Good to know that the area holds moose.
I haven't heard which lake we will land at but I can imagine that there will be several hunters in the area.
Congrats on taking one. We're you rifle or bow hunting?

In our particular area even climbing a tree would have been pointless. I’m sure other areas would be conducive to that. I had a local guy suggest the same tactic when we were getting ready to fly out.

We used rifles.

Good advise about the bear tags. But what do you do with 3dead bears? I've been told that they're not the best tasting. I don't like killing animals just to kill them. Are there places around that the meat can be donated? Or would this be a more of a nuisance tag?
We are going by float plane. Still need to figure out the best way to get the meat back. I'm stationed in up state NY. I have looked at Alaskan West but they stop in Ohio. May have to drive and meet them there.

fall bears have no meat salvage requirements- shoot them and skin them. Save a few moose calves! For your moose meat the transporter should be able to give you some ideas - personally I would donate most of it , then put what you really need in 50# fish boxes andcheck as luggage. If you are military AK air gives you 5 free bags up to 70# each.

OP
fall bears have no meat salvage requirements- shoot them and skin them. Save a few moose calves! For your moose meat the transporter should be able to give you some ideas - personally I would donate most of it , then put what you really need in 50# fish boxes andcheck as luggage. If you are military AK air gives you 5 free bags up to 70# each.
Great tip about the military baggage allowance. Forgot about that! May give that serious consideration.

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
I have a cabin in 16B. The unit is pretty much accessible by plane or boat in September. The area is pretty thick, but you can find areas that open up. According to the biologist for that unit, they break it down into three portions. The southern portion of the unit, Alexander creek, Beluga area have the highest density, and it gets lower as you go north into the unit. We've had great success hunting from our cabin over the last years. Its going to be wet, so be prepared for that. As far as tactics......I call.....a lot. It works, just gotta have patience....moose can be slow to show up sometimes. Got a video of one from a few years ago, he was actually the 2nd bull in 3 days. My wife shot hers on the first evening of calling. look up "Daves 2017 bull" on youtube to see what the area is like, and how the moose will respond to calling if you are near the moose.

OP
I have a cabin in 16B. The unit is pretty much accessible by plane or boat in September. The area is pretty thick, but you can find areas that open up. According to the biologist for that unit, they break it down into three portions. The southern portion of the unit, Alexander creek, Beluga area have the highest density, and it gets lower as you go north into the unit. We've had great success hunting from our cabin over the last years. Its going to be wet, so be prepared for that. As far as tactics......I call.....a lot. It works, just gotta have patience....moose can be slow to show up sometimes. Got a video of one from a few years ago, he was actually the 2nd bull in 3 days. My wife shot hers on the first evening of calling. look up "Daves 2017 bull" on youtube to see what the area is like, and how the moose will respond to calling if you are near the moose.
Thanks for the update. I will check out the video tonight. @Hueydriver you should check out this video as well.