Alaska Dall Sheep - Undersubscribed Non-Res Draw Hunts

OP
W

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
The outfitter set aside tags are pretty limp dick. At a minimum they should be open to all NR. For the guided set asides last year in the DCUA they had 5 leftover out of 7. But somehow you still only had a 58 percent chance of drawing. The two resident tags had almost 10,000 apps for like 70 tags.

Agreed. The guide welfare tags and a guide lobbying program have no place in a state run fish and game management agency in my opinion.

I don't think there should be such thing as a guided only draw tag. Personally, I'd like to see a pool of draw tags that everyone can apply for, with only a certain # being able to be won by non-res.

MBN

FNG
Nope. They have a separate tag for next of kin.
What is the separate tag for next of kin for archery tags(DS241 & DS240)? I don't think next of kin have an option to apply for them without hiring a guide. They are left out.

Agreed. The guide welfare tags and a guide lobbying program have no place in a state run fish and game management agency in my opinion.

I don't think there should be such thing as a guided only draw tag. Personally, I'd like to see a pool of draw tags that everyone can apply for, with only a certain # being able to be won by non-res.
I’ve said this several times.

Make ALL Dall sheep tags draw only for non-resident. You can go DIY or guided. Your choice if you draw.

If you draw a tag, you cannot reapply for 5 years. If you fill the tag then you are done. You can never apply again. This is for non-residents only.

Htm84

WKR
What is the separate tag for next of kin for archery tags(DS241 & DS240)? I don't think next of kin have an option to apply for them without hiring a guide. They are left out.
Pretty sure you’re correct. I meant they separated all the NR tags between guided and next of kin. With the majority going to guided.

Redmammut

FNG
It would be nice if these could default over to the resident allocation, but ADFG would need some regulatory mechanism to do that. Sounds like that would be a good proposal for the statewide board of game.

On the other hand there isn't anything wrong with leaving sheep on the mountains these years.

Yeah…Prop 149 dropped us down to 5 or 6 tags last year. That went so well they decided to hose second degree further for this upcoming season.

There were two options for next of kin non-res hunters. TWO. So that is only two tags for all non-res next of kin for 2024 season.

Absolutely hilarious that these hunts didn’t draw…outfitter association lobbied to get nonres tags to themselves…149 passed and people didn’t apply this year. Hahahaha.

Hopefully F&G learned their lesson and will open up to us next of kin…I would be happy.
to hunt in there!

KBaird

FNG
The outfitter set aside tags are pretty limp dick. At a minimum they should be open to all NR. For the guided set asides last year in the DCUA they had 5 leftover out of 7. But somehow you still only had a 58 percent chance of drawing. The two resident tags had almost 10,000 apps for like 70 tags.

Only two guys applied. Six apps each. The %Drawn math is worthless for the most part.

Htm84

WKR
Yeah…Prop 149 dropped us down to 5 or 6 tags last year. That went so well they decided to hose second degree further for this upcoming season.

There were two options for next of kin non-res hunters. TWO. So that is only two tags for all non-res next of kin for 2024 season.

Absolutely hilarious that these hunts didn’t draw…outfitter association lobbied to get nonres tags to themselves…149 passed and people didn’t apply this year. Hahahaha.

Hopefully F&G learned their lesson and will open up to us next of kin…I would be happy.
to hunt in there!
I’m guessing this has a lot to do with why no one applied.

Attachments

• IMG_4437.jpeg
    IMG_4437.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 50

Snyd

WKR
These few "Guide Only" tags are a mere snowflake in the wind compared to the fact that Alaska sells an unlimited number of over the counter guide required non-resident sheep tags annually.