Alaska unit 13 caribou closure

ADFG is closing unit 13 to caribou hunting. The herd has had several difficult winters and late springs. This only affects resident hunters as non-resident permits were eliminated last year for same reason. Hopefully federal regulators will follow adfg’s recommendation to close subsistent hunts in same area.

Atigun

FNG
I guess it’s easier for ADFG to talk to the public about deep snow than it is predator control. Obviously a deep snowpack and late spring attributes to a higher calve mortality, but let’s be real. Ungulate populations are in severe decline statewide and nobody wants to ruffle feathers and address the real issue.

Htm84

WKR
I guess it’s easier for ADFG to talk to the public about deep snow than it is predator control. Obviously a deep snowpack and late spring attributes to a higher calve mortality, but let’s be real. Ungulate populations are in severe decline statewide and nobody wants to ruffle feathers and address the real issue.

Brown bears open year round minus Denali state park. You can shoot 3 black bears in 13 and 5 in 13D. Wolves are 10 a day. Fairly certain they’re shooting wolves out of aircraft still. What else do you want?

bmrfish

WKR
Brown bears open year round minus Denali state park. You can shoot 3 black bears in 13 and 5 in 13D. Wolves are 10 a day. Fairly certain they’re shooting wolves out of aircraft still. What else do you want?

How about Brown bear open to nonresidents without a guide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
To change the law to allow NRs to hunt grizzly without a guide could be achieved if you NRs would simply drive to Juneau and lobby the hell out of our legislature. Of course, you'd have to out-lobby the guides and that may require more $$$$$ than a guided hunt. And then there's the tourism industry that is in the process of dumping numbers equal to double our population on us this summer. The tourism industry lobbies intensely and assures many legislators that grizzlies are rare and endangered and must be protected so their clients can take a selfie with that rare grizzly.

This may be slightly tongue-in-cheek ........but very close to the actual situation.

Bambistew

WKR
It won't be open for years, if I had to guess. Hopefully they put a limit on the subsistence as well, at least bull only and one per household. IMO they over estimated the population 5-6 years ago and killed way too many of them the following few years. Their numbers fluctuated 10-15k animals, and were estimated, no actual count.

Sad deal, I really like hunting caribou in 13. I guess I'll go whack a bear or two instead. Game populations are in the gutter pretty much state wide. Hope we get some easy winters. I heard that 40 mile would be 250-300 on quota, but that was months ago, when the same source also said 13 would be closed.

kaboku68

WKR
So the bios did some surveys and found the central Nelchina herd is almost gone. Just a suspicion that they are not and have broken into about 15 different little mini herds that range from Dust Creek clear up to Chistochina and into the Western side of Denali National Park. The Bios in there don't believe its a priority as long as the locals and community hunters who are shareholders from Anchorage get their boo.

ADFG is closing unit 13 to caribou hunting. The herd has had several difficult winters and late springs. This only affects resident hunters as non-resident permits were eliminated last year for same reason. Hopefully federal regulators will follow adfg’s recommendation to close subsistent hunts in same area.
Where had this been released? Just doing a quick search and couldn't find it. Got a link?

Where had this been released? Just doing a quick search and couldn't find it. Got a link?

It also releases Tier I and Community tag holders from the permit conditions of hunting within GMU13 for moose. I would expect some sprawl into other units from moose hunters that are no longer restricted to GMU 13. I was just telling my wife a couple nights ago that it sounds like a great opportunity to road trip and camp a few nights across the Denali Hwy with the family over Labor Day weekend with most of the typical craziness removed.

Google ADFG emergency orders. It’s under region 4. EO #R4-1-23
Found it thanks! Everytime I googled emergency orders it just took me to the fishing one

It also releases Tier I and Community tag holders from the permit conditions of hunting within GMU13 for moose. I would expect some sprawl into other units from moose hunters that are no longer restricted to GMU 13. I was just telling my wife a couple nights ago that it sounds like a great opportunity to road trip and camp a few nights across the Denali Hwy with the family over Labor Day weekend with most of the typical craziness removed.
Still fairly new and trying to fully understand the regs. So don't fully comprehend but I think I got understand what your saying.

AKBorn

WKR

In the mid to late 1960s, we used to hunt the Denali every fall for our moose and caribou. We would always camp at the start of the Osar Lake trail at about mile 36, the trail that overlooks the McLaren River. We would cruise the main Denali some days, and if we saw too many other hunters (which would have been 5-6 vehicles back in those days) my Dad would say it's too crowded, and we would go back to the Osar Lake trail. Miss those days, long gone.

How about Brown bear open to nonresidents without a guide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this is a great idea.

I will never come to Alaska just to shoot a grizzly bear because Im not paying a guide 20-30k do that.

Remove the outfitter welfare off of goat, sheep and brown/grizzly bear.

Make all goat and sheep draw only for non-resident and if you draw you wait 10 years before you can enter again. Guided or DIY dealers choice if you draw.

Make brown/grizzly/black bear tag that’s a reduced price add on if you possess another tag for a different species (for example, got Moose tag add on black bear for $50 or grizzly for $100). Make wolf tags free as add on license.

To keep the guides happy, continue to have Kodiak brown bear and the handful of other “destination” brown bear areas be guided only. And as much as I hate to say it, allocate a percentage of goat/sheep tags to “outfitter” pool, like New Mexico does.

Easy way to get some predator management. I’ve heard countless stories of non-resident, non-guided hunters have opportunities to harvest grizzlies as an incidental while hunting other species, but couldn’t. Just think of even 25% of those people would take out a predator??