Alaska DIY Caribou Hunt - Arctic Air

The problem with many hunters is that we’re optimists who have selective hearing and often wear blinders....at least on those first big hunts out-of-state. And then there’s Alaska which somehow really gets guys excited and dreaming of fabulous hunts. And suddenly we’re signing a check to someone who isn’t exactly interested in delivering on their glowing promises of great service. Trust me. I’ve had that experience ONCE and it made me extremely skeptical of all providers until I can vet them thoroughly. I’ve not dealt with Arctic Air but when you keep hearing the occasional “this hotel has bedbugs” reports you know it’s best to be very cautious.

And to be entirely fair to providers: There’s perception and there’s reality to a traveling hunter. I’m certain that expectations often don’t match up with what really takes place....especially when you combine the various elements of weather, animals, actual hunting, and someone running a business. I’ve done a good share of hunting in Alaska and I’ve yet to experience the perfect hunt. But then I’ve learned to keep my feet planted and try to anticipate the inevitable glitches. I expect a provider to be very good at doing the things within their control, and truthfully I know it’s a dice roll after that.

Last edited:
I just got back and very disappointed. Had a 9 day hunt that Sheila cut to 7 then pulled me from the field on day 5 because of bad weather coming. That was a lie. Its in the high 60-70 degrees. They also forgot to provide a stove and water container. Once back in Kotzebue I got my belongings and noticed my brand new Kuiu bag was missing. They made no offer to replace is. I was then dropped off at a airBnB and forced to pay $150 for a room and another $350 to fly out early. While eating a police officer approached me with small talk and asked how my hunt went. I told him about going with Arctic Air and he rolled his eyes. He explained Sheila once owed Ram and had numerous complaints and legal problems. Therefore she sold and started Arctic Air. I called Sheila today to explain my concerns. She took no responsibility, made numerous excuses, got upset and hung up on me. I hunted extremely hard and passed on several animals looking for a trophy. I settled on a meat animal once knowing they were coming to get me early. My hunt was a success due to my positive attitude. I do not recommend this company due to extremely poor customer service and the theft of my personal property.
Ugggg. I have been working out of Kotz for going on 19 years....RAM was sold because the owner went to jail...Do you really think changing the name will improve service?

For all of you guys considering a hunt in the Brooks DO NOT COME UP IN AUG... Too damn hot and the critters are still on the north side of the Brooks Range...

Find a guy like me to work with and most of my job is to educate you about the pit falls and the doos and donts

Walt

NUGGET

WKR
Ugggg. I have been working out of Kotz for going on 19 years....RAM was sold because the owner went to jail...Do you really think changing the name will improve service?

For all of you guys considering a hunt in the Brooks DO NOT COME UP IN AUG... Too damn hot and the critters are still on the north side of the Brooks Range...

Find a guy like me to work with and most of my job is to educate you about the pit falls and the doos and donts

Walt
Or save yourself some $$$ and just book directly with Golden Eagle outfitters 🤷

It always seems that I step on someones toes here. Keep in mind that an outfitter like me makes his money not from the booking of hunts (well a little $) but from the gear I rent. So when I say something like work with someone like me its just a suggestion to fine someone who has been doing this for a while and knows the ins and outs. I tend to steer the client in the right direction and help them have a successful hunt as well as save them $$$. Really you only need a hunt planner for your first hunt because its straight forward after you have done it once! If you work straight through a flight service you may end up on a very pricy camping trip!

Walt

Attachments

• 520652_orig.jpg
    520652_orig.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 84
  • Packing out the Bou.jpg
    Packing out the Bou.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 86

elkguy

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you very much for posting your experience. This will save many folks the time, money, and failed dreams of going on a trip with this particular company!

It’s honest reviews like this that really convince me to put so much faith into someones word on this forum.

@Northwestalaska become a sponsor and I’ll stop giving you crap. Seems like you step on people’s toes on all the forums. You got that used car salesman vibe. Just sayin’
Nugget: Take a look at the number of guys giving the thumbs up and thank you for the advice.. You seem to be the only with a toe problem my man.. Do we know each other? You seam to be very angry and I don't know who you are?

NUGGET

WKR
Nugget: Take a look at the number of guys giving the thumbs up and thank you for the advice.. You seem to be the only with a toe problem my man.. Do we know each other? You seam to be very angry and I don't know who you are?
@Northwestalaska It’s pretty disrespectful for you to constantly be promoting your business here when there are others who are paid sponsors on this platform offering the same services you’re pumping. And unlike you the Alaska sponsor here for DIY hunts does more than take your money, rent you gear and book your trip with an air charter.

You ask if I know you? Yes I know a lot of “walts”. Want something for nothing types. Always trying to fly under the radar while there’s legit operations out there.

Put your money where your mouth is. Oh wait....

Last edited:

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back and very disappointed. Had a 9 day hunt that Sheila cut to 7 then pulled me from the field on day 5 because of bad weather coming. That was a lie. Its in the high 60-70 degrees. They also forgot to provide a stove and water container. Once back in Kotzebue I got my belongings and noticed my brand new Kuiu bag was missing. They made no offer to replace is. I was then dropped off at a airBnB and forced to pay $150 for a room and another $350 to fly out early. While eating a police officer approached me with small talk and asked how my hunt went. I told him about going with Arctic Air and he rolled his eyes. He explained Sheila once owed Ram and had numerous complaints and legal problems. Therefore she sold and started Arctic Air. I called Sheila today to explain my concerns. She took no responsibility, made numerous excuses, got upset and hung up on me. I hunted extremely hard and passed on several animals looking for a trophy. I settled on a meat animal once knowing they were coming to get me early. My hunt was a success due to my positive attitude. I do not recommend this company due to extremely poor customer service and the theft of my personal property.
This is the same type of story you here over and over again with Arctic Air. Myself and others have been warning people for years to avoid this company. Once again, this company is owned by Mike Spisak, do an Internet search on him. If after reading up on his legal issues you still need more info, shoot me a message and I'll give you a few more horror stories.

mooster

WKR
This is the same type of story you here over and over again with Arctic Air. Myself and others have been warning people for years to avoid this company. Once again, this company is owned by Mike Spisak, do an Internet search on him. If after reading up on his legal issues you still need more info, shoot me a message and I'll give you a few more horror stories.
My experience with AA was also poor. A forum search should show a mixed bag of results. I regret ignoring the prior negative experiences, and basing my decision on the few glowing ones. My trip wasn’t disastrous, had a great time on an expensive camping trip with other hunters also dropped on the same lake I hadn’t met before, all while not seeing bou!

Unbridled

FNG
So was you bad experience with AA because you weren’t all alone on the same lake, or because you didn’t see Caribou? In all fairness please elaborate. I’ll soon have a review of my own. I just received a pretty decent report from another group.

So was you bad experience with AA because you weren’t all alone on the same lake, or because you didn’t see Caribou? In all fairness please elaborate. I’ll soon have a review of my own. I just received a pretty decent report from another group.
You should actually read his post... pretty much outlined what the problem was in detail..... You come on here with a 1st post like that I am assuming you must be a relative with the owner of Artic Air.
Whats your story?

Unbridled

FNG
You should actually read his post... pretty much outlined what the problem was in detail..... You come on here with a 1st post like that I am assuming you must be a relative with the owner of Artic Air.
Whats your story?

Just a customer, I’ll be hunting with them soon. I was actually responding to Twincedar’s post, the one just prior to mine....

mooster

WKR
I've shared my experience in previous posts, so a forum search would be of help.

Last edited:

Unbridled

FNG
I've shared my experience in previous posts, so a forum search would be of help. But I thought my reply in this thread was sufficient. We were dropped on a lake with another camp directly across from us on the same lake, to our North. That camp had huge ridge immediately behind them which forced them to come around the lake to hunt to our West. We had a river below us to our S, that boxed us in, limiting our range so we could only go E or W. We also saw parties a mile or two to our W, that would pop over the hill to glass our direction, so we were forced to hunt only to our E to get away form people. Unfortunately, movement on our E was little to none. I knew we were hunting public land, but we could have stayed home, hunted national forest here, and saw less people on our hunt.
Thank you. What was the name of the lake or camp they put you on? Maybe I can ask some questions if they suggest that spot for our group.

In every single business-type known to man you'll find good and bad operations. You wouldn't take your child to a so-so surgeon for a tumor removal. You'd do your homework and search for the BEST surgeon available. But when we start talking auto repair, restaurants, building contractors, and hunt outfitters / transporters....we often seem to think a few basic questions are enough and if someone else got lucky, so will we. I did that once on a British Columbia hunt and got burned so badly it changed my entire outlook on booking any type of hunting services. Unfortunately, reports of someone killing great animals tends to put stars in our eyes and remove reasonable doubt from our minds.

Using the restaurant analogy: You can take your wife there for an anniversary dinner even though it has a number of legitimate negative reviews. You might have a fantastic experience. You might also get sub-par food and bad service. If that happens you shouldn't be surprised or terribly upset. You gambled and that often involves losing. Patronizing an outfitter, guide, or transporter who has a checkered report card (or even worse) is how you increase your odds of coming home disillusioned....dead animal or not.

mcseal2

WKR
I can only get away from home for one hunting trip a year. I do a lot of homework ahead of each trip to make it as good as possible. I enjoy that part of it also, and I think it has paid off over the years.