Alaska Range Dall Sheep: My First Sheep Hunt

wyosteve

WKR
Don't know if any of you watch a program called 'Building Alaska', but one of the segments features a 'Tom Shankster' building his lodge. Sounds like the same guy. He comes off as a 'horses butt' on the show.

Don't know if any of you watch a program called 'Building Alaska', but one of the segments features a 'Tom Shankster' building his lodge. Sounds like the same guy. He comes off as a 'horses butt' on the show.

Yep, same D.B.

OP
JustOneMoreShot
I was interviewed by AK Troopers over the phone but I did not have any valuable information for them to help their case. I never saw any violations. I had heard of several things by other hunters and guides during and after the hunt. He had multiple felony counts against him. He did plead guilty and took a lesser punishment. I guess now the case is closed and he will continue to work the area but not as a Master Guide or Outfitter. I heard that he is working with another outfitter and still taking clients hunting

AWT charge big game guide with host of hunting violations | KDLG

Colorado hunting guide accused of wasting meat fined $35,000 - Anchorage Daily News

Access Denied

Alaska Trophy Hunts Guide Receives Huge Fine for Several Unlawful Acts - KINY

Last edited:
I'm new to this site so late to extend CONGRATS on your ram. Also glad you made it back without serious injury. AK is a beautiful place, but can also be an unforgiving place at the same time.

Ray

WKR
I guess now the case is closed and he will continue to work the area but not as a Master Guide or Outfitter. I heard that he is working with another outfitter and still taking clients hunting

A quick review of the Big Game Commercial Services Board meeting minutes, and it does not appear that his case has been ran through their process yet. Now that the Courts have finished, they can "investigate" and make a determination to suspend his license. This might be his last year for a while with a license.

Lets hope this guy gets his license revoked for good. HE IS one of the biggest cons in the business up here. I cant believe people would spend the kind of money it costs for a Dall sheep hunt with this guy; with ALL the negative comments out there and have been out there for years! And this is just one instance. It is probably close to half of the CURRENT guides with a license in Alaska running their camps exactly like this guy was.....if not worse. And a majority of them are NON RESIDENT registered guides and master guides hiring NON RESIDENT guides who have NEVER set foot in the area they will be guiding you. Do your homework people, get these cons out of business the good old fashion way by letting the customers who DONT use them kill their business. God knows the state of Alaska wont do anything about it. This will probably be tied up for years in the appeals process.

I know if I as a private citizen would have been convicted of just a few of the items he pleaded too......along with fines and attorney fees....my hunting license would have been revoked for at least a year. Why can this guy continue to operate a business after this. It is disgusting. I'm hoping the next group taking over this guys business (conveniently the owner is also from Colorado and his "manager" is an Alaskan) have their shit together.....but most likely not.

BRWNBR

WKR
Lets hope this guy gets his license revoked for good. HE IS one of the biggest cons in the business up here. I cant believe people would spend the kind of money it costs for a Dall sheep hunt with this guy; with ALL the negative comments out there and have been out there for years! And this is just one instance. It is probably close to half of the CURRENT guides with a license in Alaska running their camps exactly like this guy was.....if not worse. And a majority of them are NON RESIDENT registered guides and master guides hiring NON RESIDENT guides who have NEVER set foot in the area they will be guiding you. Do your homework people, get these cons out of business the good old fashion way by letting the customers who DONT use them kill their business. God knows the state of Alaska wont do anything about it. This will probably be tied up for years in the appeals process.

I know if I as a private citizen would have been convicted of just a few of the items he pleaded too......along with fines and attorney fees....my hunting license would have been revoked for at least a year. Why can this guy continue to operate a business after this. It is disgusting. I'm hoping the next group taking over this guys business (conveniently the owner is also from Colorado and his "manager" is an Alaskan) have their shit together.....but most likely not.

Both new owners are new assistant guides and shankster is still signing contracts for their hunts.

cbeard64

WKR
I will say that I too am amazed at how many people still give these types of guys their business, when pulling up Google and typing their name would scare anyone away from ever hiring them.

I simply don’t understand it.

As a NR, I wouldn’t hunt sheep in Alaska these days period outside the limited draw areas and Brooks Range given the situation there these days. Canada is simply the much better bet.