Alaska travel

buzzy

WKR
Why can’t Canada implement this type of protocol? Set a freaking hotel aside for positive cases and to isolate people. There are a bunch of those since they aren’t allowing anyone in. The folks who test negative go on there merry way.

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
Why can’t Canada implement this type of protocol? Set a freaking hotel aside for positive cases and to isolate people. There are a bunch of those since they aren’t allowing anyone in. The folks who test negative go on there merry way.
Because they have a Liberal prime minister that doesn't care about hunting. Plus they have very few cases compared to US they will most likely not let any of us in until there is a vaccine.

AK McF

FNG
I had a troop fly into Fairbanks on the 12th expecting results within 72hrs. It took 7 days. Early in July it was taking a full two weeks so they may be getting faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
I decided to do the home test 24 hours before my departure, hopefully i have results before i touch down in fairbanks 48 hours later, of not i will retest at fairbanks.
It is what it, i will do my best to comply and be thank full if i get this hunt in.

This is what we're going with I think. We have Everlywell self test kits (specifically listed as approved on their website), which supposedly give you results within 72 hours of the lab receiving them... so we'll take the tests exactly 72 hours from the moment we depart for AK, ship them overnight to the lab, and hope that results are back by the time we touch down in FAI? Anyone have input on if this is the current best guidance?

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
This is what we're going with I think. We have Everlywell self test kits (specifically listed as approved on their website), which supposedly give you results within 72 hours of the lab receiving them... so we'll take the tests exactly 72 hours from the moment we depart for AK, ship them overnight to the lab, and hope that results are back by the time we touch down in FAI? Anyone have input on if this is the current best guidance?
Sounds like a good plan to me I will be doing the same thing. Remember though they can't return results on a weekend.

Southeast

FNG
I went through the process at Juneau last week. Fire Dept employees do the testing/paperwork there. It took about 10 minutes for our group of 6 to get through. One of us had to get tested (on the 5-day program) and the rest had test results from about 80 hours prior. For those of us with the "72 hour" results, the processors looked at the paperwork for about 5 seconds, obviously just checking for our names.

For the guy with the 5-day result, he quickly got tested again (and they don't swab you deep like we had in the lower 48!) and went to fishing camp with the rest of us (which was fine with the outfitter). We don't know if he ever got his results from the AK test.

They told us all to avoid "large gatherings" and that was about it. It's truly an "honor system" deal as one could have handed them about any document with the proper name at the top or skipped the line altogether.

People were very good about wearing masks in all three airports we went though. Lots of food places and shops were closed. The planes were all around 50% of capacity, a couple possibly 30%.

I went through the process at Juneau last week. Fire Dept employees do the testing/paperwork there. It took about 10 minutes for our group of 6 to get through. One of us had to get tested (on the 5-day program) and the rest had test results from about 80 hours prior. For those of us with the "72 hour" results, the processors looked at the paperwork for about 5 seconds, obviously just checking for our names.

For the guy with the 5-day result, he quickly got tested again (and they don't swab you deep like we had in the lower 48!) and went to fishing camp with the rest of us (which was fine with the outfitter). We don't know if he ever got his results from the AK test.

They told us all to avoid "large gatherings" and that was about it. It's truly an "honor system" deal as one could have handed them about any document with the proper name at the top or skipped the line altogether.

People were very good about wearing masks in all three airports we went though. Lots of food places and shops were closed. The planes were all around 50% of capacity, a couple possibly 30%.
Great firsthand info, thanks!

Just on the news. Doesn’t change much for most. But the state is no longer footing the bill for outsiders and doing airport testing.

They also had a story that at our current infection rate and hospitalizations/infection rate, the State health system will be maxed out in 8 weeks. So we shall see if more changes are coming.

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR
US citizens are pretty much not allowed into most countries currently not just Canada.

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
Non-Residents must arrive with Negative Covid test starting August 11th.

it keeps getting more interesting... Labcorp and Picture Genetics are looking like my only options currently no where locally can provide results quick enough

Q child

WKR
Alaska resident here. Yeah, as indicated non-residents have to show up with a negative test beginning shortly. Alaska residents coming home can continue to be tested at the airport of arrival.
Of course there are also local mandates relating to quarantining or mask wearing or business activity. Difficult to keep up right now.

mcseal2

WKR
Yeah I had a plan that is now not going to work. I hope to get a new plan made and make it work.

wolfpup

FNG
This is getting really interesting. I'm planning to fly into anchorage on the 4th, then travel down to Soldotna for a couple weeks with my wife and 4 kids to visit her sisters. Also hoping to hunt for caribou a couple days when the season opens. Due to not being able to test the kids anywhere, we were planning to get tested at the anchorage airport. How this is going to pan out and work is beyond me right now because I can't find anywhere/anyone to get the kids tested before hand.

This is getting really interesting. I'm planning to fly into anchorage on the 4th, then travel down to Soldotna for a couple weeks with my wife and 4 kids to visit her sisters. Also hoping to hunt for caribou a couple days when the season opens. Due to not being able to test the kids anywhere, we were planning to get tested at the anchorage airport. How this is going to pan out and work is beyond me right now because I can't find anywhere/anyone to get the kids tested before hand.
the new mandate doesnt go into effect until aug 11

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Seems on Aug 11 hunters will need to have a recent negative test result before flying to AK, which should be as simple as getting tested 5 days before you leave home so that your results are known 72 hours prior to travel. ASt least thats how it seems at today. Anyone know different?

July 29 article

Whip

WKR
I don't see anything in the new guidelines about 5 days. It appears the only option is to have a negative test that was performed no more than 72 hours prior to departure.

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
So it says 72hrs from departure, I wonder if that means from my first flight from Wichita or the flight from Seattle to Anchorage? I would basically have an extra day to get results back if it's from my first flight, probably not the case though.