All around .308 ammo

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a new Leupold 4-12 CDS scope for my .308 and want to order the custom dial, but wanted to get some feedback on .308 loads. I'll likely end up getting a few different dials for the scope. Last year I shot Nosler Accubond 165 grain for elk/mule deer, and then hunting whitetail back east, I shot 150 grain for whitetail. Where I hunt whitetail, it's really rare that you'd shoot over 100 yards. Where I hunt in the west, I can shoot far, but I'm not a long range guy. To me, 300 yards is about as far as I'm comfortable shooting, and it's unlikely in a real world hunting scenario I'd actually be confident to shoot 300 yards. Thoughts?

rootacres

WKR
My rifle preferred the 165 ABs like yours, my brothers rifle really likes the Precision Hunters (178 ELDX) from Hornady. Id say either of those would take down anything in the lower 48 with ease.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
I've reloaded for 30 years and shot thousands and thousands of bullets from 308 target guns, sniper rifles and hunting rifles.
Finding it hard to beat Federal Trophy bonded 165 loads out of my rifle. Shoots less than an 1" at 200 yards for 5 shots. Muzzle velocity was 2740 FPS and I killed a nice bull in 2018 with it and one shot at 139 yards.... Using the same again this year for my elk hunt.
Tipped so it doesn't deform in the magazine, Soft bonded front half and solid core rear... Whats not to like.

wtHm5nL.jpg

Last edited:
A customs turret does not make much sense for your usage. Collect your actual velocity, enter it in a ballistic app, and create a cheatsheet. Tape the cheatsheet to your rifle stock.

For bullets and your proposed distances, there are lots of great options. Nosler Accubonds, Barnes TTSX or LRX, Hornady Precision Hunter (ELD-X).

I personally choose a load and stick with it. That is the load that I use to hunt all animals with that rifle.

Laramie

WKR
NO reason for a turret in your situation. Read this - https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/7/17/learn-your-maximum-point-blank-range/

If you sight in so your rifle is dead on at approximately 260 yards with a 165 grain bullet (2,700 FPS), you can hold dead center of the vitals with no adjustment and cleanly take deer to 300 yards with no adjustment. Your bullet will be 3.6" high at 100 yards and 3.5" low at 300 yards.

As far as bullets go, your 165 grain accubonds are great for ALL big game. There is no practical reason to switch to 150 grain for whitetails. The accubond holds together so will create no more meat damage even though it's a slightly heavier bullet.

Hope this helps. Good luck

N2TRKYS

WKR
NO reason for a turret in your situation. Read this - https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/7/17/learn-your-maximum-point-blank-range/

If you sight in so your rifle is dead on at approximately 260 yards with a 165 grain bullet (2,700 FPS), you can hold dead center of the vitals with no adjustment and cleanly take deer to 300 yards with no adjustment. Your bullet will be 3.6" high at 100 yards and 3.5" low at 300 yards.

As far as bullets go, your 165 grain accubonds are great for ALL big game. There is no practical reason to switch to 150 grain for whitetails. The accubond holds together so will create no more meat damage even though it's a slightly heavier bullet.

This is what I like to do with all my rifles.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
I've reloaded for 30 years and shot thousands and thousands of bullets from 308 target guns, sniper rifles and hunting rifles.
Finding it hard to beat Federal Trophy bonded 165 loads out of my rifle. Shoots less than an 1" at 200 yards for 5 shots. Muzzle velocity was 2740 FPS and I killed a nice bull in 2018 with it and one shot at 139 yards.... Using the same again this year for my elk hunt.
Tipped so it doesn't deform in the magazine, Soft bonded front half and solid core rear... Whats not to like.

wtHm5nL.jpg

dirty bull!

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider

The idea with the CDS turret is to sight in at 100 yards right?

Laramie

WKR
The idea with the CDS turret is to sight in at 100 yards right?
Most I know with the turret sight in at 200 and then dial from there to their Max comfortable range. Most guys use it so they can shoot 400+ yards.

hodgeman

WKR
If you're limiting yourself to 300 yards, there is zero need for a streamlined, high BC bullet. At .308 speeds, there's no need for a tough, controlled expansion premium bullet either.

I'd make that dial for something common as dirt and half the price like the Hornady 150gr Interlock FBSP or similar. Plain old cup and core bullets at old fashioned MV and practical ranges were perfected decades ago...they just work.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
I also suggest picking one bullet and sticking with it. I also shoot a 308 and agree that a traditional cup and core could work for most scenarios. However, i prefer to put a better bullet on top and try to standardize my guns to a Nosler Partition or Accubond. It may be a head game but i want a tougher bullet in case i hit bone or don't have the best shot angle. regarding turrets, i like playing with them at the range and have them on a hunting rifle or two but find myself not using them most of the time in practice. Like you i don't shoot game at long distances so just haven't needed the turret.

LightFoot

WKR
165/168 gr TSX/TTSX

Since you are limiting yourself to 300 yds, the Barnes is good for deer to elk, from California to Maine.

>>>----JAKE----->

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
I like the 175 gr edge tlr (or new 175 gr terminal ascent). Basically a trophy bonded tip bullet that’s been accurized.

splinter

FNG
At 300 yards the accubond is a good choice but the partition would probably do a better job especially on bigger animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk