Almost Fell

NB7

WKR
Went for an evening hunt last night for the first time this year. Archery whitetail. Don't always like to hunt this early in the heat on a stand, but the corn was just cut the day before and the farm adjacent was currently being cut, which everyone knows is a great time to get deer on the move. In the stand for a few minutes and hear a slight bump type noise from the hang-on. Took a look at the straps and all looked good. About 3 mins later the bottom fell out, as in the bottom of the stand flexed downward, with the 90 degree angle of the platform opening up in a downward motion.

Fortunately, the platform on this stand was set up about 1 foot above a solid branch, so when it went, the platform only dropped about a foot before coming to rest on the branch. I was wearing a harness and strapped in, but the branch stopped the downward motion and prevented me from going overboard, which would have left the harness to keep me from falling. Talk about pucker. Pretty un-nerving from about 18 feet up.

Looked to be a failed weld spot, but haven't yet taken it down to formally determine the cause. We normally conduct a good inspection on these types of things every year, replacing straps and so on. This spot just wasn't visually noticeable as it seems to have rusted from the inside. Thank God for that branch below. Still had the harness on, but have no desire to test it in a true fall. I've got a couple of stands set up like this right above a good branch, and when possible would recommend it. Part of it has always been because it breaks up your outline and helps you blend in, but there was always a little extra feeling of security having that branch below. I NEVER thought it would actually be tested in the way things went last night, but in hindsight I'm thankful this one was set up like that. Be careful out there and double-check your equipment.

OP
N

NB7

WKR
Ha, nope. I thought for a minute on if I could still stand in a sloping platform but it was just a llittle too steep, so I bailed.

Ront

FNG
Great story for using a lifeline.

I fell 30 feet. By the grace of God I wasn’t paralyzed.

Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: NB7

kloppy

FNG
Same thing happened to a friend two years ago - platform failure. Good reminder to always wear a harness.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Some of them yes, but normally replace straps and do preseason checks

I take mine down after every season. Seems to take alot of wear and tear off of them. Great time to do maintenance on them, as well.

Glad everything turned out ok.

DroptineDC18

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of stand? I guess it doesn’t matter because they all could theoretically have this type of failure. Glad you are ok and can’t imagine the initial fear!

dtrkyman

WKR
I mamaged a buch of properties for many years, had 150 ish stands to maintain, I removed the lifelines each year to keep them safe, so I was the fool climbing 150 trees a year twice to put them in and take them down!

Used a linemans on the hang ons but had to get to the top of the ladders and attach my self before working on the straps and lifelines.

At least the clients were always safe!

Had one close call ever, my linemans belt caught me when a strap broke 20 feet up!

jimh406

WKR
If it is a commercially built stand, the brand is important because the construction is not the same for all brands. Safety considerations are different as well.

I’m sure they could all fail, but the specifics about what fails will vary since some use only welds, some use rivets, some use different materials like wood, aluminum, steel, plastic, nylon, polypropylene, cable, etc.

Fwiw, I’ve only had a mini fall about 45 years ago. That is I only fell a few feet before the stand caught again. It was a somewhat typical for the type of fall with a Baker first generation climbing treestand. They were very particular about how they should be adjusted and still hold. They were innovative at the time, but stands are a lot more secure now.