Alternatives to Garmin/ONx - GPS, Hunting Maps & Message/SOS

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, so I was going through my gear and thinking about selling some pieces to go buy a Garmin Montana 700 series that has InReach. Then I go read that ONx doesn't support them.

When I go day hunts not a big issue, I can just take a GPS, although it would be nice to have a Sat Messenger/SOS service Just In Case. When I go longer or deeper, though I don't want to not have something that might save my life (or get a quick message off when cell service is absent).

But I am getting fed up with having to carry 2+ devices (GPS that works with Huntchip and InReach unit) to accomplish this. I say 2+ because sometimes I carry my Rhino or radio to walkie talkie with other hunters. I am also noting that ONx more and more is reducing support for the HuntChips - which are absoutely a must in some areas.

Is there any alternative to the F'ed up world of GARMIN/ONx/Sat com???

Before someone says cell phone/ONx (online) or one of the other cell phone based apps - not an option. Too many times the flat antenna's on cell phone GPS units are unreliable. Not to mention even in airplane mode cell phones burn battery.