Am I being a little over ambitious? (solo elk hunt)

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
As far as solo hunting goes if you have the time do some solo camping and backpacking this summer. It will help you get comfortable being alone in the woods. It will also help you get familiar with any new gear. Good luck and have a safe hunt.

Deepshax

WKR
I will be out driving out to CO on my own this year. I was out there last year (not hunting) and a walked a few places to get a feel for the area in preparation for this year. I plan on trying to do the drive in two days. It was easy last year with my wife and I but dont think Ill be able to do it in one shot by myself. I will most likely be hunting from my truck but will bring a camp setup to throw in my pack just in case I fall into a good area and feel somewhat comfortable. Still trying to pin down and area..thinking I may just pick a unit and see how the chips fall lol

HanceT

FNG
It is great to see so many Virginians on this site. I grew up in the Bedford area. I am also planning a solo hunt this year. I rifle hunted about 15 years ago in CO unit 47 so thinking about heading back their. However, this will be a completely different scenario. I was with a large group last time and we rented stock. This will be a backpack archery hunt. It is certainly intimidating to plan a solo hunt out west, but am looking forward to the physical and mental challenge. I really appreciate the helpful advice found on this site. More than anything, though, I appreciate how folks are willing to share their experiences without bringing any ego into the equation. It is unusual to find that in forums such as this. Thanks for posing the question, Finch. I will be watching this thread for more advice!

Eric M

FNG
You only live once. If you have the means and opportunity you might kick yourself for not doing it. Just do the research. Randy Newberg has some youtube videos that kind of explain the Montana non resident thing. Have the right gear and just go. Before you know it your 50 and wish you had time for all the hunts you want to do.

ChrisS

WKR
i dont have a lot of suggestions, just one fact. you only have so many " helk" hunts in th ol body.
This is where I'm at. I hunt whitetails in the Adirondacks (which provide elevation, but aren't "mountains") and there are a few older guys that hunt with us. It's tough to see them bow out of a hunt at 64 because their knees can't take the climb.

The first time is the toughest I guess, and since you've been out hunting once, it should be easier to go back. So, I'm planning a solo trip myself for the first effort. None of my friends are interested enough to commit. One is close, but he's expecting his first born in August. The rest are like "why? just get a guide and go during rifle season" or "I'll go with you, but in three years."

Shrek

WKR
Finch , the cold and snow are your friends when hunting solo imo. Fresh snow will help you find animals and the cold will give you all the time you need to pack out an elk. Early November in Montana is variable but you will probably not have to worry about meat spoilage. I just put in for a general combo and will be hunting elk and mule deer solo again this fall. Most important thing is go hunt ! You have zero chance of killing an elk in your living room in Virginia.

PA 5-0

WKR
Well just got the news today buddy won't be able to get off in sept so looks like I will be going solo this year! Will be driving from PA if anyone in interested in linking up let's chat pm me. Last year I switched my weeks up an went one week later to hunt with some guys I knew going out for muzzleloader I still archery hunted got out a day early before muzzleloader opened an missed a 6x5 bull that was a ill bit of a poke an shot over him :mad: ranger finder was off I dunno or nerves. I have to get out there again an chase them bugling bulls so will definitely be archery OTC in colorado this sept. Finch good luck on your trip to MT that sounds like one hell of an adventure I'm sure if you prepare all year you got it !

Just hit you with a PM Mike.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Sorry guys, I've neglected this thread the past couple of weeks. Guess that clues you in that I probably will NOT be going out west this year. I didn't get that vacation pick in October which would have been more ideal for me than the November time slot. I appreciate all the advice and tips and hope that it will help someone else!

I should have a better chance at getting Sept/Oct off next year and hopefully my buddy will too. I like the thought of thinking I can do this solo (and I probably could) but some companionship would probably go a long way. Honestly, it's a little intimidating thinking about doing such a hunt solo and being so far from home.

Sorry guys, I've neglected this thread the past couple of weeks. Guess that clues you in that I probably will NOT be going out west this year. I didn't get that vacation pick in October which would have been more ideal for me than the November time slot. I appreciate all the advice and tips and hope that it will help someone else!

I should have a better chance at getting Sept/Oct off next year and hopefully my buddy will too. I like the thought of thinking I can do this solo (and I probably could) but some companionship would probably go a long way. Honestly, it's a little intimidating thinking about doing such a hunt solo and being so far from home.

Sorry to hear that Finch! Was looking forward to seeing success this year...