Am I out of my mind for thinking about sheep?

Hi everyone. For a few years now I’ve become enamored in watching sheep hunts. It’s just amazing to watch how testing it can be and to watch the payoff. I’d like to one day shoot a Dall. Key word is one day. I want an honest opinion if this is out of my realm.

I’m a very seasoned bird hunter. I live in Florida. Hunt 50 days a year. Own duck hunting property in arkansas and go back and forth a few times a year during season with my kennel of dogs. I eat sleep and breathe geese and ducks every day. Travel 3-4 times a year elsewhere to check birds off my slam list (currently 5 short).

I’m 41. I have no dreams of shooting a sheep in the next few years. This is a journey and I know I have a lot to work towards making it happen. I live in Florida. Surf a lot, am in very good shape and hiking and getting in sheep shape is not a stretch to me (I’m 6’0, 190lbs).

Now the caveats:
I’ve only ever been interested in shooting birds and coyotes. Zero interest in deer. Never shot one. No ungulates at all. I live in Florida. Everyone I know who has leases here, GA or AL, sit in one palace for a few days and shoot what happens to walk by, post it to FB and tell battle stories. Not very interesting to me and never has been. I want struggle, despair and success.

Is it crazy to think I could hone shooting skills and bury my head in internet knowledge and then show up to my first guided hunt and think I could have a chance at a Ram?

Having never hunted ungulates before is this a crazy idea? Tell me to stop and I will. But if you tell me it’s possible to be in excellent physical shape, able to shoot well to 300 yards and enjoying starving for 14 days and being paired with a good guide is all it takes, then I’m all in.

I can be honest with myself and I’ve always enjoyed stumbling on articles and threads on this site regarding gear, so I figured it’s worth a post. Thanks gents.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ve got a similar irrational love for grizzly hunting. No other bears. Had my first unsuccessful go last fall and am planning my return trip. Sounds like you need to book your hunt. Good guides will be a couple years out at least. You’ve got the right idea about what it will take. I can make a recommendation if you’re interested. Lots of nice horns in camp when I went for bear.

OP
LonghairDontcare
This just gave me the biggest smile. Thank you. I know where to shoot an ungulate. Just never have. If bypassing this step isn’t crazy, then maybe I’m not crazy either for thinking I can do this. Let me know who you recommend. I’d love to have someone solid to start with.

Last edited:

2five7

WKR
I don't know if you'd ever enjoy starving for 14 days, but all the rest is totally doable. Start putting X amount of dollars away each year until it's time to book, then see if you're still smitten by the idea.

elkguide

WKR
Dreams are the good things in life.
Living and fulfilling those dreams are the best things in life!

Dall sheep is the one dream that I have yet to fulfill myself. While it wouldn't be necessary to take an animal before your sheep hunt, I think that it would be a good thing to do. Watching lots of films and reading everything that you can are wonderful helps but having an animal in your crosshairs and then pulling the trigger is a different scenario. Definitely something that I would recommend doing.

Having worked as an elk hunting guide, the recommendations that I would give you would be to:
1. get in shape (and then some).
2. Shoot your weapon a lot, (and then some more).
3. Once there, trust your guide. That's what they are being paid for, trust them.
4. Probably the most important aspect of the hunt....... have fun! Don't let anyone or anything stop you from enjoying the hunting experience.

OP
LonghairDontcare
I own two restaurants. I only eat once a day anyways so grazing like a sheep is normal to me. I actually had been saving money towards an Side by side the last few years and never needed to pull the trigger on it so I have probably 1/3 saved so far. Advice is much appreciated.

OP
LonghairDontcare

Dall sheep is the one dream that I have yet to fulfill myself. While it wouldn't be necessary to take an animal before your sheep hunt, I think that it would be a good thing to do. Watching lots of films and reading everything that you can are wonderful helps but having an animal in your crosshairs and then pulling the trigger is a different scenario. Definitely something that I would recommend doing.

Having worked as an elk hunting guide, the recommendations that I would give you would be to:
3. Once there, trust your guide. That's what they are being paid for, trust them.
4. Probably the most important aspect of the hunt....... have fun! Don't let anyone or anything stop you from enjoying the hunting experience.
Thank you. All your tips I said “of course” to as I read them. I think I left out that I’ve shot pigs plenty of times but by saying you’re from FL, I would assume that’s a given :). I think you’re right. I’ll get on some deer as much as I can to rehearse.
Go for it!

While you're up here, stop by and hunt cranes to keep that shotgun itch satisfied.
shooting/eating cranes is top of the pops for me…and I shoot/eat a lot of specks. Tell me where and I’m there. I’m also on the search for a good one for the wall but my plan for that is west Texas.

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
I never thought I would ever get to go on a sheep hunt, killed a stone sheep last fall and booked a dall hunt for 2023. It’s a expensive addiction but it worth all the pain and effort. The shooting is such a small part of the whole adventure I would say your nuts not to do it.

Sounds like the only problems you may face are afterwards when you’ve been bitten hard by the sheep bug. You think it’s bad now…

Absolutely go for it. Make it happen sooner than later if you can. Good luck!

If you go with a good guide, are in decent shape, are an average shot in field positions, and you're not a pussy about sleeping in a tent or getting a little cool/wet, there's no reason to think you wouldn't do just fine.

Keep in mind a sheep guide's average client is 50 or 60+ years old with a lifetime of driving a desk and mediocre physical conditioning and a lot of them still have very high success rates. Certain outfitters heavily scout their areas and if the hunts go as planned they are not that physically demanding. If something goes wrong you could be in for a grind. Other outfitters offer an experience closer to what a resident DIY hunter might experience where you're probably going to walk a whole lot more to find a legal ram.

There is an undeniable value to having had experience shooting big game as it relates to reading body language, having a feel for how much to rush or avoid rushing, and many other things but a good guide will make the critical tactical decisions (finding, stalking) for you and you just have to execute the shot.

Last edited:

npm352

WKR
I say go for it. Great idea and never too late to follow your dreams.

I would personally recommend killing a few deer beforehand to get experience and get more comfortable shooting at big game animals.

Freeride

FNG
Do it. As for training, find even a small hill or ditch and side hill it for awhile, get those ankles used to that.

A good guide will get you on sheep as long as you mentally can handle it. And it sounds like you are willing to endure and will be successful.

I personally would even forgo just one of your trips a year and put that money aside for the sheep. Once you go chances are you will want to go again, so the sooner you get out there the better!

I love hunting sheep, for a number of reasons as you mentioned. That said be realistic with your expectations and try to find a hunt that matches.

The really tough struggle is why I moved to Alaska to be able to hunt truly DIY every year on OTC tags (I killed my first Dall's on a walk in solo hunt)

There are slam dunk hunts in Canada for Dall's and Stones that most anyone can shoot a sheep- helicopters, nice lodges, horses to ride up and shoot one etc. Then there are some like backpack Alaska hunts where even seeing a legal ram would be an accomplishment

So if you are serious look at the accommodations, success rates, scenery and hunt methods that best suits your needs and go for it. pikespackout.JPG

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

This is perfect advice. Buy a good .270 Winchester with a good scope, shoot it often from field positions, and trust your guide. You will do fine 👍