Am I Overestimating How Much Insulation I Need? (KUIU)

snel6424

FNG
Hey Everybody!

So I have been going back and fourth with myself for a while and just when I think I have it figured out, I change my mind.

Heres the deal: I am trying to figure out how much insulation I am going to need for an early season archery elk hunt in CO. For a baselayer, I am running a Peloton 118 LS. Where I am conflicted is how much insulation I am going to need to account for CO weather.

I have narrowed down my options to the following: Strongfleece 210, Strongfleece 260, and the Kenai Ultra Jacket.

Originally, I thought that getting the SF 210 and the Kenai would be the best combo, as it freaking snowed in CO this year and I HATE the cold. But then I read a lot of people only take a heavyweight pullover (SF 260) and that is enough. Am I going to need the Kenai at all? Do I even need the SF 260, or will the SF 210 be enough?

I’d rather have too much then not enough. If you hate the cold be prepared. I’d suggest the Kifaru LPP and punch the cold in the throat.

ljalberta

WKR
I always take a puffy into the mountains - even in the summer if it's more than a day trip. It only weighs a few ounces more than a fleece. Caught a real wicked snowstorm on July 2nd a couple years back. Was real happy to have the puffy then.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
Agree on the puffy. Not that big but can really save the day. Better too warm than not enough.

Felix40

WKR
Take a puffy for sure. The Kenai is actually not that substantial of a jacket since the wind blows right through it. I think I would get cold with just that and a fleece on some years.

TomJoad

WKR
I’m assuming you’re not backpacking. Regardless you don’t want to be without down in Sept at elevation.

Werty

WKR
You always account for the weather in the mountains. It all depends, do you glass a lot, or are you constantly moving.
I pack like this, if I wear everything I take with me, will it keep me warm on the colddest projected temps.

Medusa7MM

WKR
I’d rather have too much then not enough..... sound advice. I always have a puffy set in pack. Honestly though only you can answer this through trial and error. Everyone runs different temps. Just about every person on here will tell ya it took them several times to get their clothing and gear just right.

OP
S

snel6424

FNG
Okay definitely taking the Kenai then! Does anyone know whether the SF 210 or the SF 260 would be better?

renagde

WKR
Southern or Northen CO? Especially in the Southern half, all you need is baselayers, lightweight insulating layer and a puffy. Ditch the Kenai and get a good puffy jacket with a hood and the Strongfleece 210. If you have rain gear that should cover the bases from 80*-20*.

Lytro

WKR
I keep a Kuiu super down vest in my pack and a wind/waterproof outer shell with a hood. The vest weighs practically nothing and it can be stuffed into a side pocket if needed. Like others have suggested, any type of puffy is the best lightweight insurance IMO.

I would personally go with the 210 because I like wearing multiple thinner layers. I was hunting in 10 degrees and wind this past weekend in only a merino base layer, peleton zip-t hoodie, SF 210, guide jacket, and guide pants. I never got cold or uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Honyock

WKR
As many have said, I always have a puffy in my day pack for just in case. Weighs basically nothing and takes up very little space. I am always glad I have it when I need it.

Jethro

WKR
Kenai is a great jacket, I would always have it with me. While you are worried about staying warm, don't forget a tee shirt. I last archery hunted CO in 2018, we spent way more time in a tee than a puffy.

TBHasler

WKR
For early season I would go with the 210 sf vs 260. If you’re gonna sit and not hike much, 260 is doable but if you move at all that is a different level of warmth vs the 210.

OP
S

snel6424

FNG
Kenai is a great jacket, I would always have it with me. While you are worried about staying warm, don't forget a tee shirt. I last archery hunted CO in 2018, we spent way more time in a tee than a puffy.
Would the Kenai be decent for glassing or should I stick with a down puffy?

Jethro

WKR
Would the Kenai be decent for glassing or should I stick with a down puffy?
Sure it will work. I like the Kenai for archery because it is quiet. It is quiet enough to wear in a tree stand. It’s more breathable than down. A con would be it doesn’t pack as small as a down puffy.