Am I stupid not to take a spotting scope on an early season high country buck hunt?

Not from CO. Is early season rifle? Or archery? If rifle, have you considered using your tripod as a shooting platform? The death grip light is a good lightweight option. Agree with mcseal2 There are some good 15-45 spotter options that aren't too expensive (used) or too heavy. I like to hike with my glass - if you know what I mean. I always carry my spotter, then ditch the pack to make a stalk. Maven, Nikon, Vortex all have good options that don't break the bank or weigh too much (value glass). With a good phone adaptor, you can take excellent photos with your phone through the spotter instead of carrying around a big camera.
Early Season above timberline rifle. Pretty limited tag. During archery and Muzzleloader seasons.

If the spotter was expensive, take it and use the heck out of it. I have a medium priced one I use for scouting, then just take my binos and tripod while hunting. Did that during a few Wyoming mule deer hunts and up here in Southeast Alaska for goats, deer and bear.