Ammunition Recommendation for .357/.38+P for animal defense

NDGuy

WKR
Starting to look into load options for my GP100. It has a 2.5 in barrel so I need to take that into consideration since I know the .357s lose velocity and I know .38+P would be a bit easier to control with a shorter barrel.

Anyone have personal experience? Won't be hunting in Grizz country anytime soon so mostly for Cats, Black bears, Samsquanches etc.

*Also this is for archery hunting not rifle*

Last edited:
Evan Marshall wrote a book called "Handgun Stopping Power" a few decades ago based on actual shootings. He came up with the 125gr Jacketed Hollow Point in a .357 as the best people stopping round at the time. If you may be faced with black bears, you might look for something a bit heavier to penetrate better, but for cats and samsquanch, the 125 would fill my revolver.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
If you may be faced with black bears, you might look for something a bit heavier to penetrate better, but for cats and samsquanch, the 125 would fill my revolver.
I was looking at the Buffalo Bore ammo since that's usually the first manufacturer that gets brought up. Just torn on the .357 vs .38+P. I have seen some research and videos that the velocity is still way more on the .357 even with a short barrel so leaning that way.

Buffalo Bore is great stuff when you need deep penetration especially for big bears. I think you are more likely to run into 2 legged predators or cats than charging bears in your neck of the woods. My choice would be any quality defensive handgun ammo. I would stick with the .357 loads too.

matthewmt

WKR
A buddy recommended Underwood I believe for hardcast options. I have not ordered any for the 10mm but he said they performed well and they came in a bit cheaper than the buffalo bore.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

C9X19

FNG
If you decide on a JHP, you'll want something with a bonded jacket to help with the bullet's weight retention. As mentioned above, penetration is key for a handgun round. Otherwise hard cast lead will serve you well. I'd go for the .357 over the .38 for your purpose.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
If you decide on a JHP, you'll want something with a bonded jacket to help with the bullet's weight retention. As mentioned above, penetration is key for a handgun round. Otherwise hard cast lead will serve you well. I'd go for the .357 over the .38 for your purpose.
I think I am ordering Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman .357 and .38+P going to shoot both and if the .357 is too spicey I will just carry +P. I'd much rather be able to be accurate than just raw power if I can't hit the broadside of a barn.

howl

WKR
The great thing about .357 is you can just get cheap 125gr hollow points for Samsqua...I forget how you spelled it.

If you're really going to be around black bears, stretch that barrel out to .44 and get some 240gr XTPs.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
If you're really going to be around black bears, stretch that barrel out to .44 and get some 240gr XTPs.
Ya a .44 is on the list for someday but for now I am not overly concerned about blackies with what I have. Most of what I have read is they don't have much of a pain tolerance, lots of people have shot them with 9mm so I would be fine with my revolver with 180gr hardcasts.

If I am ever in Grizz country I will likely just use it as an excuse to buy me a 10mm. Lot easier to convince your wife to let you buy a gun if it's to protect your life ;)

matthewmt

WKR
If you happen to have a 1911 in 45acp I believe you can do a 460 Rowland conversion.
I'd opt for .357 what gun are you planning to field?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Buffalo bore 180g hardcast for woods use. Federal used to make some too but I haven’t seen it on the shelves for awhile.

TauPhi111

WKR
I would also recommend Underwood with BB a close second. I shoot the Underwood 220 Hard cast out of my 10mm and it delivers. I don't own a 357 but I'm sure their 180 hard cast will be awesome as well. Only reason I put them above BB is Underwood has equal or better performance at a better price, and they seem to be a bit more modern. But BB is also awesome stuff. Put either in your gun and you'll be good to go.

Rob5589

WKR
I have fired both hot 38 spls and 357 from a 3" SP101 and there was very little difference in recoil surprisingly. The 357 was 180 BB. I wouldn't want to shoot it all day but it was completely controllable in DA.

Don’t be a puss, just choke the kitty out!!

YMMV

+p 38 is how i’d Roll, but I do know a lot of guys like the hornady bullet for a good mix of expansion and penetration. Need to brush back up on that tho.

Rich M

WKR
I was looking at the Buffalo Bore ammo since that's usually the first manufacturer that gets brought up. Just torn on the .357 vs .38+P. I have seen some research and videos that the velocity is still way more on the .357 even with a short barrel so leaning that way.

Buffalo bore will give you penetration if looking at big bears. I'd go with Critical Defense, Critical Duty, or Horandy Custom (Hornady has 158 XTP HP and should be excellent). You want factory loads if worried about sasquatch for legal reasons.

38 +P is a nice middle of the road ammo - less recoil than 357 but more punch than 38 or 9 mm.

I hunt with and load 357 mags for rifles - think 357 maximum powder loads and those XTP FP 158s absolutely FLATTEN whitetails - most don't take a step, just throw the head back and fall over. Try a Swift Aframe and the dang things run off about 75 yards and keel over, even with a shoulder busted. Really like those XTP bullets for getting the job done.

I think I am ordering Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman .357 and .38+P going to shoot both and if the .357 is too spicey I will just carry +P. I'd much rather be able to be accurate than just raw power if I can't hit the broadside of a barn.
I roll the Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman 158gr hardcast in 38+P. On the BB website, they list velocities out of different barrel lengths for each load.
My 6” SW386 gets really good results and prefer monolithic loads.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Buffalo Bore 180 grain hardcast flat nose. Stout load at 1400 fps muzzle. mtmuley

Yeah gonna take a gander at those and the 38+P loads and pick between them. Maybe take the .38s if I know there won’t be bears. Do hardcasts wreck barrels a lot faster?