Among The Old Oaks and Fallow Deer, by Everett Headley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Update Profile Pic 2.jpg

Everett Headley, aka @406life

Raised outdoors in Montana, Everett has an undeniable passion for all things hunting (and angling) and helping others discover those same experiences. His pursuits span the spectrum from upland to big game, archery to muzzleloading. When he isn’t in the mountains, Everett is involved in state conservation with Montana FWP as a council member working on education, access, and landowner-sportsman dynamics. He enjoys waterfowling with his Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Cane, and flying his peregrine falcon, Freyja. For the past several years, he has spent his time creating and teaching hunter education programs as well as being a frequent guest on podcasts, workshops, and events with a focus on hunting ethics. You can find more of his work on his website or Instagram.

Check out his first Rokslide article about a hunt he did in Great Britain. I found it cool to read about the differences between hunting in the States and hunting in Great Britain.

Among The Old Oaks and Fallow Deer

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Totally worth the read!

Good work Everett and glad to have your work on Rokslide.

Like Justin, it was great to read about the differences betweeen US and Britian hunting, and some similarities. Cool the level of sportsmanship and knoweledge required.

Also, I thought "Sika" deer was a typo, but clicked the link and nope, there are Sika and Sitka deer.

Cool beans man

and I wanted to personally thank you for all the work you've done helping HOWL defend our rights to hunt. Can't seem to go to a show and not see you volunteering at their booths.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Heading there in March 2025 for CWD and Muntjac and am eagerly counting the days! Hopefully there will be a fallow or two that hasn't cast antlers yet...
The "Tiny Two" as I've taken to calling them are what I need on my next trip. I saw many as roadkill. They definitely get forgotten about when the fallow and red are around.