animal first aid

I believe I saw a thread on med kits for backpacking that was very good. I will have to find my list of m entire pack when I'm running mules but for now let's talk about med kits for your animals.
2 tubes of aspirin paste
Tupperware bowl of wonderdust
Small squeeze bottle of vetrecyn mixed with betadine
Iv fluid set up
Suture kits
Nonstick dressing pads
Vet wrap several rolls
Bluekote wound dressing spray
Udder cream
Gatorade bottle mixed half Gatorade half whiskey

OP
MULEPACKHUNTER
Is it true pepper keeps flys off meat???? An old timer told me back east he hunted moose and they would bring pepper to put on the kill to keep bugs off it? Good way to start seasoning anyway.

rayporter

WKR
colic and cuts. that is a fair start.

cuts-duct tape. as good as baling wire. it keeps a wrap in place. the wrap wont stay if you dont cover it.
also plain dininfectant. i use a green soap type of stuff now. i used to buy the pink by the gallon but it is hard to find now. i still have a pint left that i carry every where. mix a few spoonful in a quart of water and you have disinfectant- for horse or human.

colic-banamine and bute. and a tube of wormer. i had a mule colic once and the vet suggested a worming. it worked. that was when they rode 1500 miles on the trailer to get there. poor drinking and eating add to any probelms that may be present. i now worm a month before i leave.

sutures and no tranquilizer? it is pretty hard pushing a needle through a tranquilized animal.

OP
MULEPACKHUNTER
Very good point on doctoring an un cooperative 1000 lb animal. My wife said I could add lidocaine which would help but your right it would still be a pain. Honestly suture kit is always in my backpack so I just added it to my mule list.

mntnguide

WKR
older army ammo can filled to the brim.....Bute, Banimine, scarlet oil, Furacin sauve and dust, eye cream for eye injuries, Suture kit is a DEFINITE (i have had to do some backcountry doctoring that would have been shooting my horse if it werent for having that), Tranquilizer if you can get it, needles assorted sizes, Penicillin, at least 2 rolls vet wrap, assorted guazes and needle tube sizes. . . I think that for the most part covers what i used. . This was on every pack trip and in any camp, and it got used plenty. The penicillin or something of the sort is a must on longer trips where an injury in the beginning could end a trip if you cant keep infection out... Ill try to dig up my pictures on stitching up my horse a few years back....I came across a DIY pack trip group last summer in Wyoming that were 12 miles from the trailhead and had a horse stick a picket pin through their leg, They had absolutely nothing useful and didnt even have Bute to get the horse out with. If you use animals, ya better prepare for the worst.

mntnguide

WKR
Pictures of stitching up my young horse after a runaway wreck during some training....He clipped his front with his back shoe and it was right down to the millimeter of tearing his achilles....Tranquilized him just enough so he was still standing, but completely out of it to let me do my work with my suture kit....Long story short, he survived 3 more days in the wilderness, and made a full recovery and had absolutely no visible scar or future issues with it down the road.

Attachments

• DSCN0357.jpg
    DSCN0357.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0349.jpg
    DSCN0349.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0351.jpg
    DSCN0351.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0360.jpg
    DSCN0360.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0352.jpg
    DSCN0352.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 31

rayporter

WKR
yall are officially 'doc' now.

i met some fancy riders last year that had to use a pistol to put one down. got kicked right below the knee and snapped clean through.

the last words out of his mouth was ' does he really kick?'

i have seen others laying along the trail.

OP
MULEPACKHUNTER
Pistol for sure, not in my med kit but always with me when I run animals. An old guy told me 2 things you never go without , pistol , knife, spurs. He was an old guy so 2 is really 3. Lol
Great additions guys. Time to volunteer at the local vet clinic