Annealing

WJM1000

FNG
I have a question on over annealing.
Why is the brass considered trash if it's over annealed to a dead soft condition in just the neck shoulder junction? I'm aware that some of the alloys are burned off when the necks are over annealed. But don't know why that would make them unsuitable to reload. Is it because there would insufficient neck tension or it could possibly cause an unsafe condition and cause the neck to separate from the case body?

Any insight will be appreciated.

EdP

WKR
I have never heard of it being a problem for the neck/shoulder area. The concern I am aware of is the heat being conducted down towards the base of the case and softening that area also. I will be interested to see what others have to say.

Check out “Reese on the range” “annealing” videos. I believe he’s a metallurgist engineer. He goes over all the properties of brass. I believe he found you can’t over anneal the brass unless it melts. I know in my testing, the neck has to be “work hardened” after annealing.

I had cases ready to load and wanted to try the annealer. After annealing, when I seated the bullets, the bullet would just pull out of the case. So I resized the case and everything went good. I took that batch to the expander die, blew it out to .308, resized back to .306, loaded, all shot great.

Assume that’s why they tell you to anneal, then resize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveCB

FNG
I had some 222 that was annealed dead soft, and it did not have enough neck tension to keep the bullet from moving in and out. pressures were all over the place very inconsistent.

Bater

WKR
I had some 222 that was annealed dead soft, and it did not have enough neck tension to keep the bullet from moving in and out. pressures were all over the place very inconsistent.
So it was still dead soft after you sized it? Was it ruined or did it work harden after sizing?

EdP

WKR
The cases should not have been ruined unless annealed too far down. They might require more than one run thru the sizing die. Each run is going to increase work hardening of the neck.

DaveCB

FNG
I still have the brass. I resized it several time and really could not get the bullets to hold. I did try crimping with a FCD. may have been better but I lost interest in trying to salvage it.
I might try some different loads. I have a much better assortment of components to try.
The rifle is a jewell. Sako Riihimaki 222. I had a new barrel put on a few years ago.

DaveCB

FNG
I have watched a lot of Erics Videos. I watched the annealing Video.
Interesting?

EdP

WKR
That Sako is a real beauty.

I viewed the Cortina video referenced above. He found no difference in the (post sizing) seating force between the brass annealed at 10, 15, and 20 sec. All were annealing times over his normal time.