Anticipated impacts of COVID-19 on hunting this year?

brsnow

WKR
What I find interesting is the number of people who will predict what's likely to happen in the next 2 or 3 months. I've been completely amazed by the events we've witnessed and the speed at which they've occurred. Three weeks ago basically nobody thought we'd be where we are today....yet it happened. The LAST thing I'd be willing to do is place a financial bet on where we'll be (and what we all might be able to do) in the next 6 months.

I don’t think anyone is betting, what I would say is quite a bit goes into tag allocations and running the draws. Highly unlikely that work is currently being done.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve got a tag that I plan to hunt in August. I’m guessing this will all be over by then. All the other hunting I do is local so I don’t see that being changed.

Adkjake

FNG
Had to cancel a spring bear hunt I was taking my dad on for his first time out west.... so that blows

Catchfish

WKR
It’s affected me personally already, just delayed a shutdown at our refinery and is schedule for august now, that’s gonna cut into mtn hunting for me here in Alaska and my moose season.

Scrappy

WKR
Good hunters and fishermen should have freezers full of meat from last fall to last a long time :)
Got plenty in the freezer but ain't no way I could not bow hunt this fall. Life is way to short to miss a season.

mcseal2

WKR
In state hunting will be on or around the ranch where I work every day, that won't be affected for me. The caribou hunt I had booked for this fall might be out, I'm not buying a tag or plane ticket until I see how this plays out.

Im wondering if the price of stone sheep hunts (and sheep hunting in general) will go down?

I'm going to step out on a limb here:

The federal government and of course many states are shutting down a majority of business and government entities for various reasons. The stock markets have been repeatedly interrupted when sell-offs and declines triggered the 'circuit breaker' as they call it. Oil prices are so low as to be ridiculous which threatens the industry severely. What do I think this may be leading toward?

I think there's a very real chance we'll see an interruption in fuel supplies. It could be anything from significant to severe. Gas may be near $1 per gallon but unavailable. And of course I might be wrong, but I'm watching this very closely.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
closer to home. i am about to cancel my annual turkey opener hunt. i just dont feel right..two reasons.

1. i am not loving the idea of me dragging my big city butt to a tiny community..
2. i am NOT comfortable of leaving my wife alone for two nights.

It will be interesting to see how the supply of mountain house/freeze dried foods impact the fall if there supply hasnt been replenished. Finding any type of freeze dried food under any circumstance right now is virtually impossible. More people will have to freeze dry their own food or go minus the convenience.

Reactions: OMB
i drew the 1st weekend of our axis deer state hunt and they cancelled the first 4 of 9 weekends for now. it sucks

ewade07

WKR
It will be interesting to see how the supply of mountain house/freeze dried foods impact the fall if there supply hasnt been replenished. Finding any type of freeze dried food under any circumstance right now is virtually impossible. More people will have to freeze dry their own food or go minus the convenience.
Now i dont feel like such a fool for having about 40 meals sitting in my hunting food cache!