Antique Tag

TEmbry

WKR
Anyone know much about the history of elk and the possibility of this tag actually being real? Currently in Arkansas snow goose hunting and in the hunting cabin we are staying at there is a very antique elk mount head down on the ground as it is being moved. The antlers are pinned to remove from the head. Anyway, I saw this tag and was blown away by what was stamped on it. "NE DEPT AGRICULTURE" and on the reverse side "1922". The locking antler tag appears antique and wouldn't surprise me of its age if it is indeed 92 years old, but it would shock me if game and fish departments actually even issued tags to track way back then?!

gajazeza.jpg

gy5y8udy.jpg

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
Gotcha that would make more sense. Wonder if that is indeed the date stamped on it or perhaps it's individual number and not indicative of when it was taken?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My granpa killed a big non-typical buck in the early 40's here in Oregon,it has a tag just like that around the antler.

CentennialELK

Lil-Rokslider
My grandpa had a big ring of tags like that form Idaho. He kept them on a ring in his shop with all of his antlers. I think one of my uncles kept them when he passed away, I will check and see.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
That's what Nebraska deer tags looked like for years. I didn't know Nebraska had elk in 1922.

Last edited: