Antler Point Restriction

Yea, if there is data that would be interesting, mostly because once a doe recruits from a fawn to yearling her annual mortality probability is constant throughout her life.
Besides the info posted above, a recent podcast with Mr. Denning and a deer biologist discussed this. I was shocked when I heard it, and the biologist also indicated it was only one study. More are probably pending.

I suspect that first year without their mom they are trying to find their group they hang out with for safety. Be interesting to see if two young bucks that hang out together have a higher survival rate than a single.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Besides the info posted above, a recent podcast with Mr. Denning and a deer biologist discussed this. I was shocked when I heard it, and the biologist also indicated it was only one study. More are probably pending.

I suspect that first year without their mom they are trying to find their group they hang out with for safety. Be interesting to see if two young bucks that hang out together have a higher survival rate than a single.

I ran through some studies (I haven't listened to this podcast). I've found some with lower survival in 1.5 yr old bucks, but marginally lower (~5%), nothing crazy. I could see areas with high lion predation maybe having a higher survival difference between mature and yearling bucks, but those would be the exception to the rule I would think.

I like when APR's are applied to select units. Used to hunt a 3pt APR in WA State GMU.
Very few hunters to deal with, was rare to come across another hunter in the field, away from the main roads. Unlike across the highway in the unit open to any buck w/antlers, spikes included, where the hunting pressure was typical pumpkin patch.

As of the past 15 years, the entire area GMU's are 3pt APR, so hunters now cross the highway into my choice area. More crowded than years ago.

I ran through some studies (I haven't listened to this podcast). I've found some with lower survival in 1.5 yr old bucks, but marginally lower (~5%), nothing crazy. I could see areas with high lion predation maybe having a higher survival difference between mature and yearling bucks, but those would be the exception to the rule I would think.
You should give it a listen. It's probably my favorite that's been done in quite some time.

It was a Rokslide podcast with Robby and a biologist.

I think the point restriction works far better for whitetail than mulies and maybe that's where this all stemmed from. Areas I hunt whitetails have had a 3 point per side regulation since 2003 and I can say without a doubt it has helped increase the age class of bucks in the herd. The problem with translating this to mule deer is the probability of having a mature 3 point of even 2 point is far greater than with whitetails

Back