Any 280 Remington Shooters?

rmarshall

WKR
I have read and seen a lot of folks using the 280 AI but who's shooting the old 280/7mm express? I just picked a model 70 featherweight and I'm going to give it a run.

clockworkgator

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Ruger M77 in 280. Great versatile cartridge... 140 grain for deer, 160 for bigger game, not much recoil. Ammo is hard to find in stores but easy to buy in bulk online. I decided against Ackley Improving it... didn't seem worth it for what I do.

I do - not as much as I did before becoming a 7MM-08 junkie but still have my KS .280 that I use when I really want to kill an elk - its got good elk Mojo:D
413540891.jpg

OP
R

rmarshall

WKR
clock: since you shoot 4 different weights hows the point of Impact? are you always changing the scope?
Oregonmuley that is a awesome looking rifle. I hear you on the 7-08! amazing cartridge!! I've contemplated going to another 7-08 over the 280. Not a lot difference in them. We have 2 7mm-08's in our house and they are a great gun, and I wouldn't be ashamed of having another. They have taken deer and elk in our house.

BjornF16

WKR
I'm running straight 280 Rem, originally R700 Mountain SS. Had action trued, Bartlein 2B barrel installed into McMillan Mountain stock.

I ran Norma Kalahari 125s for Texas deer and Hornady Precision Hunter 150 ELD-X for elk last year. Sub 0.5 MOA with the ELD-X.

.IMG_2463.jpeg

clockworkgator

Lil-Rokslider
clock: since you shoot 4 different weights hows the point of Impact? are you always changing the scope?
Oregonmuley that is a awesome looking rifle. I hear you on the 7-08! amazing cartridge!! I've contemplated going to another 7-08 over the 280. Not a lot difference in them. We have 2 7mm-08's in our house and they are a great gun, and I wouldn't be ashamed of having another. They have taken deer and elk in our house.
Within a couple hundred yards it's within the kill zone on a medium sized animal (a couple inches) but I re-zero if switching (and generally don't switch) up to 160 accubond... more because moving from Remington to Nosler than bullet size (140 corelokt vs 160 accubond). I also don't know if a different barrel would yield bigger variance. You can also find custom loaded 160 a-frames online if you don't like Nosler.

I hunt 90% of the time with a Browning BAR 280. I love the caliber. I'm mostly in the woods where shots all under 100 yards. I'm thinking about buying another one in a bolt action to use on another property I have access to where there are some shots the BAR isn't up too.

I have a Rem 700 marked “7mm Express”, recently had it worked on so that I can switch barrels with a 25-06 also. Still a project in the works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
Love my .280s. I handload and primarily use 140 gr accubonds at 3040 fps. Both mine have 26" barrels. Of the last eleven big game animals I have shot with this load, only one did not die where it stood. Have taken animals from 20 yards to 621 yards with the .280. I can't see ever needing another cartridge for my needs up to and including moose. Maybe a .280ai just cause they are cool!

My first 28 caliber was a .280, and it remains my favorite caliber today. I have loaded dozens of powder/bullet combos for my rifles, and after shooting dozens of elk, deer, bears, and loaning it out on moose and sheep hunts I have decided it will remain my favorite caliber. It hits elk with authority, but doesn't cause large amounts of meat damage even on small critters, like Coues. The .280's long range ballistics are phenomenal, and retained energy stays sufficient for almost any species to "waaaay" out there. I love the new crop of "long range" calibers, but hit a bull at 400 with a Creed and then repeat it with a .280 and you'll notice a big difference. I know, I've done it. I'm a fan of a lot of calibers, mostly guns that kill elk well, and the .280 has proven to me that it is a lot more gun than Remington ever allowed it to be.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a huge .280 fan as well. I’ve got a Rem 700 Mountain SS with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 on it and it is likely my favorite rifle/cartridge combo (although my Whelen is growing on me). I added a Timney trigger, but, other than that it is stock. It shoots sub MOA with most of the factory ammo I’ve fed it. I’ve killed a bunch of Deer and pigs with it, and it will go Elk hunting if I ever draw a damn rifle tag. Great cartridge with factory ammo, and better if you handload. I’ve got no clue why it is less popular than some of the others.

Big .280 Rem fan here. I owned a stainless Ruger 77 in .280 and should have kept it. I had a chance to buy a brand new .280 Remington Mountain SS rifle a couple years ago - last one our Cabelas had on the shelf. I ended up buying a Tikka T3x that day, but in hindsight I wish I had bought that Remington instead.

I own two 7mm-08's now, but I know that someday I'll have another .280 Rem.

I shoot a ruger 77 all weather. It was my first big game rifle. My dad talked me into it back when I was 13 so we could share bullets with him having one of the first run 700 mountain rifles. Between those two rifles there's been a pile of whitetail several turkeys and my first black bear. Most animals including the bear never took another step after the gun cracked using either 140gr or 150gr coreloks with high shoulder shots. I now started reloading and I've currently got a load with 160 sierra hpbt at about 2895. It's very accurate I'm curious to see how it performs on game.