Any advice for career burnout? Can’t think of a new interest to pursue?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m pretty certain that I’m just too burned out to feel a passion or interest in anything new. I’ve seriously contemplated just quitting so I could have a clear mind but paying bills needs to happen. Unfortunately I live in a high cost of living area so just taking a random intermediate job isn’t going be enough income. Relocation is a possibility after the kids are out (oh wait I live in Denver, they’ll never be able to afford living on their own😀) but I still need to have a direction for myself.
This has been going on for several years so I don’t think it’s just a phase.

Thats rough man.
Any potential to take on different responsibilities at the current place?
Even "shadow" someone higher up to give you a change of pace.
Polish up your resume and start applying around. You might get a dream opportunity or help you realize it could be worse.
Use some leave and go to the mtns. That always helps me keep my head on straight.

I would also add, make sure you’re current position or the one you’re searching for is as recession proof as possible. It’s more likely now than it has been in a while that we’ll be seeing an economic downturn. Would be a bummer to switch careers only to run into issues when things slow down.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats rough man.
Any potential to take on different responsibilities at the current place? No, I’m the most experienced that that can still physically do the work
Even "shadow" someone higher up to give you a change of pace. Possibly at a different company
Polish up your resume and start applying around. You might get a dream opportunity or help you realize it could be worse. Can’t polish a turd😄 I’m not trying to beat myself down but I’m one of those who has done the same thing for a long time, not much to say on my resume.
Use some leave and go to the mtns. That always helps me keep my head on straight. Taking a day trip Saturday, family vacation next month.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Every thing is a trade off. I would love to live in The west but know I cannot make as much to support cost of living as i do The Midwest. Someone also told me once “kids don’t care where you live or what you drive” and that stuck. They will go/do what you do

Last edited:

Bobs son

FNG
I see lots of people have transitioned to work from home type jobs or do a side hustle from home that over time becomes their main income. might look into that. I sell guns for a living and it's about as un work like a job I've ever had. pretty fun

bootstrap

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I just had a talk to our daughter about this very thing.

If the company has other locations that might be something to look into.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would also add, make sure you’re current position or the one you’re searching for is as recession proof as possible. It’s more likely now than it has been in a while that we’ll be seeing an economic downturn. Would be a bummer to switch careers only to run into issues when things slow down.
It survived the downturn in ‘08 and the pandemic, but the pay has barely increased since 2010 so I’m not sure if the stability is worth staying.

cnelk

WKR
I spent almost 3 decades in the public school sector in Colorado before I retired [not a teacher]

That is one career that is recession proof.
Hell, they give raises to keep up with COLA and job retainage.

Just a an option to look into.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see lots of people have transitioned to work from home type jobs or do a side hustle from home that over time becomes their main income. might look into that. I sell guns for a living and it's about as un work like a job I've ever had. pretty fun
I have no idea how to do work from home stuff, it would be a nice change of pace and flexibility. I got nothing to hustle on the side.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spent almost 3 decades in the public school sector in Colorado before I retired [not a teacher]

That is one career that is recession proof.
Hell, they give raises to keep up with COLA and job retainage.

Just a an option to look into.
What is COLA? What did you do?

Rich M

WKR
Any way you can get some new training? Lotsa stuff online.

You may be able to slightly shift focus into a new career. Use your talents in a diff capacity.

Imo, burnout often comes from above.

Had a job for 2 years and it sucked. I was supposed to be the manager but they ultimately put a field guy in the office manager spot over me but i was still responsible for the technical end of things and had to sign off on all the reports. He gave me 2 bad reviews 2 years running for being micromanaged and doing what he told me to do. Told him to start doing what i did. He said he didnt have the qualifications, just said I know and left after the magical 2 weeks. 10 years later Im a partner at a diff company.

Sometimes a move is beneficial for your mental health and will open new doors.

cnelk

WKR
COLA = Cost Of Living Adjustment

I was a Construction PM for the school district

I just read today that the same school district is giving an average of 9% raises across the board to employees. Some as high as 16%

Teachers also get raises [as usual]