Any concrete/block experts?

kipper09

WKR
So I am in the middle of building a home. I have ran into something and need some input. We poured concrete porches and poured them over Q decking. The top row of blocks are 4”. The rest are 8. Top row were layed to get up to a level that allowed a small 3-4” step from porch into the house. The question I have is after we poured them the 4” block joint cracked pretty much all the way around the porch horizontally. Nothing else just the joint between the 4” and 8” block. I think it’s from shrinkage or expansion and It’s driving me crazy looking at it. Im not exactly sure what to do with it? Anybody have any input? Was gonna re strike it but am afraid if it settles it’ll crack the slab. The Slab is 36x8. I don’t think it’s structural but on a brand new place it really bothers me. Thought maybe someone could shed some light on it for me. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
I will get pics when I go over in a little bit. But basically it just cracked between the the top 4” block and the 8” below it. Horizontal crack.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
34487f39fcaa719c43c2f43e11b84e90.jpg

c787519e95b0357ef49a7f8702c302bf.jpg

32348b996d3dc67ffc879c612e17a930.jpg

1537c49b597d80157321d5c34bb31d1d.jpg

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
When it was grouted was it all done with the same batch or when you laid the 4 inch you grouted it separately?

Slim Jim

WKR
The only thing you can do is make a batch of slurry mud (no sand) and use a grout bag to squeeze it in the bed joint. Don’t make it too wet or it will run down. Then strike it and brush it. Kinda small though so it might not work. You might want to think about stucco. Cheap and easy fix

GSPHUNTER

WKR
In my limited experience, if block were not wet first, moisture in grout will be drawn out into block and it will not set properly. Joint should still be strong enough, just mix a slurry and fill in cracks.

Agross

WKR
Did any of the vertical seems on the top row do it? Did the porch cap settle anywhere against the house?

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
grind out mortar joint and repoint, normally i would put an expansion material (asphalt shingles,felt paper)between the cinder block and concrete slab but your past that point. stone veneer would work also.

If it settles you think it could crack the slab?

tammons

FNG
Could be settlement. Was the soil compacted properly? For stuff like this, and controlling cracking, its a good idea to have a conc filled cell with a rebar tied to the foundation and into the slab every so often and ladder reinf. It helps with stability too. Really too late to do vert filled cells unless you break out the face which is a real pia.

ElkNut1

WKR
Not to be cruel but that whole block & footing is a mess. I'd plaster the whole thing & give it a skip trowel effect like you would do on drywall. It appears to be a small area.

A good solid mix would be 2 parts sand, 1 part cement & a level square point shovel full (not heaping) of lime every 10 shovel fulls of sand. You can hand mix it in a wheel barrel & apply with a 12" smooth trowel. Give 1st coat a flattening effect & apply the 2nd coat (after 1st one dries) heavy enough to give it your desired texture. It should hide all your grout joints easily & look like a solid stem wall.

ElkNut

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I don't think there would be settling issues with the Q decking, what used to be called Robertson decking. At least never have seen that happening. And if that were the case you would be seeing the same issue through out. What was the decking set on?

Not to be cruel but that whole block & footing is a mess. I'd plaster the whole thing & give it a skip trowel effect like you would do on drywall. It appears to be a small area.

A good solid mix would be 2 parts sand, 1 part cement & a level square point shovel full (not heaping) of lime every 10 shovel fulls of sand. You can hand mix it in a wheel barrel & apply with a 12" smooth trowel. Give 1st coat a flattening effect & apply the 2nd coat (after 1st one dries) heavy enough to give it your desired texture. It should hide all your grout joints easily & look like a solid stem wall.

ElkNut
Agree, rub or use stone on block.
Also, rub the edge of your slab. Easier and prefer to do while wet, but you’re here now.