Any Hawaii upland hunters?

travelert

FNG
I do a lot of hunting here on the Big Island, but haven't hit the birds yet, aside from one turkey with my bow. Just got a new Benelli shotgun so im psyched to get some birds this season. I dont have dogs but ill manage. Nice pics! Is that PTA land?

gwl79902

WKR
Man I love those pics! I grew up in Kona and my dad, brother and I hunter birds all the time. I get back now and again and get out. It is still amazing!

It was thoses times with my dad that made me take the path in life that i did. Dad is gone now and we spread his ashes on the moutain. I am now retired from a career fish and wildlife law enforcement. LIfe goes fast!

You live in the best upland bird hunting on earth. Enjoy the weekends all you can.

Thanks for the post brought back a ton of memories.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Bird hunting in Hawaii just got put on the bucket list.
Yep ... Hunted axis deer there a couple of years ago, I just got a reason to go back. Gotta figure out logistics for the dog though, that's a long flight in the cargo hold.

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
That's cool! What kind of birds are those? I recognize the turkey, pheasant, and chuckar, but not the other ones. That would be a ton of fun! Thanks for sharing.

ESmith_10

FNG
Yep ... Hunted axis deer there a couple of years ago, I just got a reason to go back. Gotta figure out logistics for the dog though, that's a long flight in the cargo hold.
How was that axis deer hunt? I've heard good things.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
How was that axis deer hunt? I've heard good things.
Tons of animals. I hunted with Patrick Fisher at Hawaii Safaris. I killed on the first evening, saw several hundred animals. Couldn't complain at all. I got to hunt, brought my wife along and she got her beach time.

ESmith_10

FNG
Tons of animals. I hunted with Patrick Fisher at Hawaii Safaris. I killed on the first evening, saw several hundred animals. Couldn't complain at all. I got to hunt, brought my wife along and she got her beach time.
May have to look into this. Was it an archery or rifle hunt?

WKR
Actually any kind of hunting in Hawaii would be a bucket list item for me. Curious about the bird species. Thanks for posting the pics.

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
The other birds are probably Kalij Pheasant and Erckles Francolin. We also have California, Japanese and Gambles Quail, Black francolins and a few other species about a dozen total. We mostly hit Erckles up on the mountain, getting a little tired of chasing them so gonna focus on Chukar this weekend, gonna hurt but should be fun 🙂 these are Erckles Francolins a Quail and a turkey from last weekend.

Attachments

• C980AD25-0B4A-4B65-AC77-C0033B412181.jpeg
    C980AD25-0B4A-4B65-AC77-C0033B412181.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 17
Years ago I dated a local girl from the big Island. Her folks had a place surrounded by Parker Ranch, her dad had access. The bird hunting, pheasant and Francolin was fantastic. Never tried chukar there, but I’d rather go hunt the big island then the Dakotas this time of year.

ESmith_10

FNG
The other birds are probably Kalij Pheasant and Erckles Francolin. We also have California, Japanese and Gambles Quail, Black francolins and a few other species about a dozen total. We mostly hit Erckles up on the mountain, getting a little tired of chasing them so gonna focus on Chukar this weekend, gonna hurt but should be fun 🙂 these are Erckles Francolins a Quail and a turkey from last weekend.
Miller time.

My last trip to the big island I brought my bow and did some dyi sheep and goat hunting. I saw quite a few erckels francolin, pheasant and a few light brown birds looked like quail. I've been itching to get back

Attachments

• 20190729_091453.jpg
    20190729_091453.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 14
OP
lose_money

lose_money

Lil-Rokslider
28c194cac676b9db83f3de050fb85ba3.jpg

Been having some good action in hawaii this bird season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk