Any one use a Subaru as a hunting buggy

I have always hunted out of an SUV. No reason to shove an entire animal in one. Use the gutless method in the field and put the meat in a cooler.

I seen a YouTube video the other day of an Outback with a rear auto locker. It kept up with a 4Runner with just that mod and a 2 inch lift.

Thinking about an Ascent for the wife. What are your thoughts and how had it been for you?
It's been great. I use it as my daily driver. We've got 4 little ones and it works well as a family hauler too. As far as off road performance, it's handled anything I've wanted to do with it. I've hunted unit 68 and gone in some rough and rutted roads and it's been fine. Ride is really smooth and the newer turbo 4 cylinders have good torque.

We have a '20 outback and it's gutless but I sure like driving it on winter roads compared to my F150.

Definitely not a pickup but a whole lot of hunting could get done with it.

In the world of an awd unibody suv it’s hard to beat the Subaru. Can’t think of anything in that category with comparable ground clearance, short overhangs and drive technology. Personally I would compare one or two more vehicles that are in the top of their class (mid sized truck, 4Runner), against a Subaru to decide what vehicle fits your needs best. Fuel economy and gas prices have been a huge factor for me.

I realize there are a lot of happy Subaru owners out there, but after the experience we had with one we'll never buy another. It was an 08. Was good on ice, snow, mud, etc.
It was regularly maintained and dealer serviced most of the time. Pretty much all good til we had over 100k on it. Then small things started going wrong. AC, throw out bearing, steering rack, interior door handles broke off on both passenger and driver sides, pretty serious oil leaks. All on a car that was mostly a daily driver, and only occasionally used as a hunting or fishing vehicle. Had enough by 140k, fixed everything and sold it, happy not to deal with it again.

We have been bombing around forest service roads in my buddies early 2000s Outback all season. It's a 300 mile trip to elk hunt and we saved probably n over $1k on gas.

We took that thing places we shouldn't have many times and never had an issue.

I've been thinking of getting an older forester after the experience this year. It will save me a ton on gas for both hunting and working.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

They'll go most anywhere a stock pickup would. The only thing a stock pickup has on a Subaru is a proper low range, other than that it's a toss up.
I bought a 2005 Forester in March, and I've ended up using it for a lot more than I expected. It's a pretty slick little hunting rig. I'm short so it's great to sleep in, plenty of room for all my gear, even good A/T tires are cheap for it, and it has saved me hundreds on fuel this fall. Averages 28-30 mpg and can zip right along on even a fairly rough FS road.
Now that we're getting some snow the Tacoma on 37s will come out of the shed, but the little Subaru really grew on me this year.

They'll go most anywhere a stock pickup would. The only thing a stock pickup has on a Subaru is a proper low range, other than that it's a toss up.
I bought a 2005 Forester in March, and I've ended up using it for a lot more than I expected. It's a pretty slick little hunting rig. I'm short so it's great to sleep in, plenty of room for all my gear, even good A/T tires are cheap for it, and it has saved me hundreds on fuel this fall. Averages 28-30 mpg and can zip right along on even a fairly rough FS road.
Now that we're getting some snow the Tacoma on 37s will come out of the shed, but the little Subaru really grew on me this year.
Ground clearance certainly comes into play later in the season. I keep thinking about tossing a winch on my Subaru because it takes very little to get it out when stuck

Ground clearance certainly comes into play later in the season. I keep thinking about tossing a winch on my Subaru because it takes very little to get it out when stuck
I've been thinking about it as well, would definitely be great peace of mind on muddy, rutted roads. Enough so to leave the truck behind even more often. My problem is that I'll get carried away and it will become another expensive project vehicle like the truck did:ROFLMAO: Lockers, skids, mild lift, good tires...there's a really good aftermarket following for these cars now. If I buy a bit newer one like I'm considering, it will probably get a small winch and a few other mild mods.

I've been thinking about it as well, would definitely be great peace of mind on muddy, rutted roads. Enough so to leave the truck behind even more often. My problem is that I'll get carried away and it will become another expensive project vehicle like the truck did:ROFLMAO: Lockers, skids, mild lift, good tires...there's a really good aftermarket following for these cars now. If I buy a bit newer one like I'm considering, it will probably get a small winch and a few other mild mods.
It gets pricey quickly! I put on a set of Falken WildPeak AT’s while my wife was still driving this car, 50k later and they’re still in great shape. When it’s due for tires I’m thinking a small lift, 16” wheels and slightly larger tires. Beyond that I’ve been wondering if one of those Warn portable winches wouldn’t be able to drag this thing out of just about anything. I’d also like to add a few lights to it as the stock ones are mediocre at best when navigating logging roads in the early mornings and at night.

Have a '16 forester and given 4 deer their last rides in it. Just be sure to carry a tarp in the trunk for this purpose. They also sell trunk liner and back of the seat covers so when you lay the back seats down flat its like a truck bed mat. The AWD on that thing is better than my F150 4WD in snow and mud. Would average 28 mpg with all season tires, up to 35 on sunny pavement cruises at 60 mph. Drops to 25 when speeding on freeway or working hard in snow.

I think the generation right before this had oil problems like 2012-15ish models but look into that
I can confirm, the 2012-2105 have some oil problems for sure. My kids sucks oil like mad. But not worth it to repair and replace.

Back