Any plumbers here that can help? Problems replacing a Price Pfister Cartridge.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Hello All,

I'm thinking there is a plumber here or maybe even a wicked smaht member who might be able to help me solve my problem.

I need to replace the cartridge (pic 3) in our shower faucet (pic 1) as it is leaking like a sieve.

The silver dollar sized chrome piece (showing my reflection) unscrews to reveal access to the cartridge. It is easy to change once the chrome piece is off and I did this 13-ish years ago.

Pic 2 shows the side view of the silver dollar sized piece and how little there is to grab when unscrewing it. That's about an 1/8" lip you are seeing. Removing the flat chrome piece on sink H/C faucets has not been a problem simply using my hand and something to provide a little grip like a rubber glove.

The problem is I cannot unscrew the flat chrome piece. I suspect the chrome piece has calcified so much over the past 13+ years that I cannot unscrew it. I have tried tapping the flat chrome piece to loosen it. I bought a large pair of channel lock like pliers that allow me to span and grab the 1/8" lip, but it's a no go as I can get a good enough grip on the shower knob but the knob wants to turn as that's how the water temp is adjusted.

Also, removing the chrome piece is made worse since the knob wants to turn when turning the flat chrome piece and I don't want to snap anything off as if this faucet breaks, then water is shut off to the entire house until it's fixed.

I thought of heating the flat chrome piece with a heat gun but was concerned it might really hog things up since the cartridge is plastic

Anyhoo, does anyone have any ideas on how to loosen the chrome piece and/or allow for a better grip on the shower knob?

Thanks,

Eddie

Attachments

• faucetpic1.jpg
    faucetpic1.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 42
  • faucetpic2.jpg
    faucetpic2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 42
  • faucetpic3.jpg
    faucetpic3.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 42
I am not a plumber, nor am I wicked smart, so you may want to ignore me but…..if you suspect it is crusted and locked up with minerals/calcium I would suggest a few rounds of vinegar. Apply some white vinegar all around so it wicks into the threads. It will take some patience to wait for things to soften, and may take several applications as there is not any way to let it soak. It’s a fairly benign approach to start with to avoid mashing up the works.

Good luck and I hope you get a better answer soon.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
A few years back I had a similar problem due to calcium build up. I ended up accessing the valve assembly thru a common closet wall. I had to replace entire assy. When I completed the job, I installed an access door in wall incase I ever had the problem again. It was in front bathroom shower which seldom gets uses so it just sat for a long time and built up calcium. I told the wife to run hot and cold water whenever she cleans in there. So far so good. Remember, Utube is your friend.