Any polaris gurus on here?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I bought a used 2014 Polaris razor 800s last year. It had less than 500 miles on it, and was owned by a little old couple that used to go on joy rides in the mountains. They retired and moved to Florida and sold it with everything else they owned. It has not had any of its Schedule maintenance done because it didn’t have 500 miles on it when I purchased it.

I decided to go through it and change all the oils this year so I could start a schedule. The transmission fluid, rear differential and engine oil looked brand new. Air filter looked great, and there was no dust in the intake. The transfer case oil was another story. It was gray. Doing some digging online the general consensus is water contamination through the vents.

Can anybody confirm this theory or have seen something similar? The plan is to run it on the next trip with the new oil, then change the oil again to get any contaminated oil that didn’t come out with the first oil change. I’m just hoping that gray is truly from water and not metal.

Machine has NEVER been abused, submerged, run hot, or anything else. I used it hunting last year and I don’t think it went over 20mph. I’m pretty sure the retired couple treated it the same way, everything the guy owned looked brand new when I went to his house to pick it up.

Here’s one of the posts I found…

IMG_8209.jpeg

Haven't had a Polaris in a bit, but is the transfercase chain drive I assume?

I'd do what you are doing, drain fluid again without much time on it, see what it looks like.

You might just be seeing the results of chain break in. I'd guess it might was supposed to be changed around 25 hours.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Haven't had a Polaris in a bit, but is the transfercase chain drive I assume?

I'd do what you are doing, drain fluid again without much time on it, see what it looks like.

You might just be seeing the results of chain break in. I'd guess it might was supposed to be changed around 25 hours.
I hope you’re right. It’s a simple oil change so the plan is to stay on top of it.

No clue about the chain????

Ya, thats a little water, not a big deal, it is a little more than normal but if you are changing fluids, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just did mine today and it had a little in it also.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Ya, thats a little water, not a big deal, it is a little more than normal but if you are changing fluids, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just did mine today and it had a little in it also.
Thank you. Makes me feel better. Probably good enough to give you a kiss if you’re right. Thanks for the positive news.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned atvs for a while and soaked a few. Also did mechanic work for a while. We have 8 of them and a pile of snogos. My take on things. Yes on the water. If it was a seal you would see oil on it. I'd look at the vent outlet. If it's a tube so axle breathe vent can stay high n dry it may have a crack or slipped off. If it's a steel vent and at axle hight who knows if it has crossed a creek or 2. Mud holes. Water.
Also looks pretty dirty. Kinda gritty on your thumb. Pass a magnet around in the oil if you still have it and see if it picks up any internal wear issue with bearings. Kinda looking a bit shiny like a nice metal flake paint job.
Pretty easy testing to help give you a better base. Probably wouldn't hurt to do a compression test. Usually auto parts stores will borrow you a test guage for free if you don't have one.
If you can put a long screw driver somewhere near the engine block if will act like a stethoscope and you can usually hear internal issues like valve adjustments.
Sounds like you have a whole lot of fun sitting there, good on ya man have at it. Hopefully this makes sense and helps someone

cnelk

WKR
Gian
I have the Polaris wheel bearing grease tools for front and back axles.
Easy peasy. It greases the bearings without having to remove them. Also pushes out any moisture.
Pretty slick

If you’re up this way, you can borrow them

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Gian
I have the Polaris wheel bearing grease tools for front and back axles.
Easy peasy. It greases the bearings without having to remove them. Also pushes out any moisture.
Pretty slick

If you’re up this way, you can borrow them
Thanks everyone.

Never thought about greasing the bears and I’m not sure why. This is the kind of stuff that makes this place invaluable sometimes.

Last edited: