Any Reviews on Bear Watch Systems?

Mr2143

FNG
I know there are lots of DIY threads out there as well as threads on UDAP and what is now Eagle Systems. Has anyone used Bear Watch Systems lightweight electric fence before?

Rokwiia

WKR
I've never used one but was looking around at different options. One of the more important aspects of a bear fence is the amount of joules it produces. The higher the number, the more intense the shock.

Here is a fairly comprehensive article by the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks. Note on page 4 (of the report or page 5 of the pdf) they address the issue of joules and discusss a minimum joule recommendation.

https://fwp.mt.gov/binaries/content...ts/bears/mfwp_electric-fencing-guide_v4.0.pdf

Bear Sentry Systems have a kit that has a 1.0 joule output that I was looking at.

https://www.bearsentry.com/products/backcountry-2-4-lbs

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Below is cut/paste of PDF page 5, from Montana FW link above. Cutting to the chase, MTFW recommends energizer with MINIMUM 0.5-0.7 Joules OUTPUT.

(Note: I've never used such a fence but have read up on them for some time. The only 1.0 Joules Output energizer I've seen is from Bear Sentry, who claims 1.8 Stored and 1.0 Output Joules. I guess you could buy the same energizer Bear Sentry uses, and make up your own kit if you wanted.)

(Here's the cut/paste)

1. Energizers Energizers are the power source for your electrified fence. Energizers come in a wide variety of makes and models, but all of them are designed to store energy and deliver it in short pulses through the connected wires.

To effectively deter bears, your energizer needs to pulse at a rate of 45-60 pulses per minute, which is approximately 1.0-1.5 pulses per second.

Energizer manufacturing companies rate their products with an energy measurement unit called a JOULE. A Joule is a measure of stored OR released energy.

The Joule rating of energizers typically have 1 of 2 classifications; Stored or Output. The Stored classification is the maximum number of Joules that the energizer can store when not delivering energy to a fence.

The Output classification is the maximum number of Joules that the energizer can deliver to a fence. The number of Joules Stored will always be higher than Output.

For example, an energizer listed as having 1.0 Stored Joules will be able to deliver approximately 0.7 Joules to the fence. The amount of Stored or Output Joules does not directly translate to the amount of voltage an energizer can deliver, nor to how powerful the electric shock will be.

The higher the Joule rating of an energizer means it has a higher amperage. It is amperage, not voltage, that determines how powerful a shock will feel.

For example, while both a 0.2 Joule and 1.0 Joule rated energizer can deliver a 7,000-volt shock, the 1.0 Joule energizer has higher amperage. Therefore, a 7,000-volt shock delivered by a 1.0 Joule energizer will feel more powerful than a 7,000-volt shock from a 0.2 Joule energizer. In plain terms, a 1.0 Joule energizer has a more painful shock value than a 0.2 Joule energizer.

Bears are more likely to pay attention to an electrified fence that delivers a painful shock.

Therefore, for deterring bears in developed areas, your energizer will require a minimum Joule rating of:

0.7-1.0 Stored Joules or 0.5-0.7 Output Joules.

Low cost, slow pulse rate, low Joule rated energizers are abundantly available and may be adequate for livestock or pet-yard applications. However, these energizers will not be effective at deterring bears.

Similarly, older energizers that were not designed with modern safety features may be unsafe to use. And high Joule rated energizers are too powerful for small applications; bigger is not necessarily better.

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
I enjoyed mine. Didn’t even get attacked by a bear.

My lovely wife can attest to it stinging pretty bad if you touch it. .5J or not ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1090.jpeg
    IMG_1090.jpeg
    560.1 KB · Views: 21

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Note the Speedrite AN20 energizer is 0.4 Joules Output. That's under the 0.5-0.7 Joules Output recommended by Montana FW. FWIW, at least.

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Tahoe;

Beautiful setting. Taut wiring! DIY fence or purchased complete? Which energizer used?

Thank you.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Tahoe;

Beautiful setting. Taut wiring! DIY fence or purchased complete? Which energizer used?

Thank you.
That’s the bear watch. Nothing additional outside the kit.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mr2143

FNG
Below is cut/paste of PDF page 5, from Montana FW link above. Cutting to the chase, MTFW recommends energizer with MINIMUM 0.5-0.7 Joules OUTPUT.

(Note: I've never used such a fence but have read up on them for some time. The only 1.0 Joules Output energizer I've seen is from Bear Sentry, who claims 1.8 Stored and 1.0 Output Joules. I guess you could buy the same energizer Bear Sentry uses, and make up your own kit if you wanted.)

(Here's the cut/paste)

1. Energizers Energizers are the power source for your electrified fence. Energizers come in a wide variety of makes and models, but all of them are designed to store energy and deliver it in short pulses through the connected wires.

To effectively deter bears, your energizer needs to pulse at a rate of 45-60 pulses per minute, which is approximately 1.0-1.5 pulses per second.

Energizer manufacturing companies rate their products with an energy measurement unit called a JOULE. A Joule is a measure of stored OR released energy.

The Joule rating of energizers typically have 1 of 2 classifications; Stored or Output. The Stored classification is the maximum number of Joules that the energizer can store when not delivering energy to a fence.

The Output classification is the maximum number of Joules that the energizer can deliver to a fence. The number of Joules Stored will always be higher than Output.

For example, an energizer listed as having 1.0 Stored Joules will be able to deliver approximately 0.7 Joules to the fence. The amount of Stored or Output Joules does not directly translate to the amount of voltage an energizer can deliver, nor to how powerful the electric shock will be.

The higher the Joule rating of an energizer means it has a higher amperage. It is amperage, not voltage, that determines how powerful a shock will feel.

For example, while both a 0.2 Joule and 1.0 Joule rated energizer can deliver a 7,000-volt shock, the 1.0 Joule energizer has higher amperage. Therefore, a 7,000-volt shock delivered by a 1.0 Joule energizer will feel more powerful than a 7,000-volt shock from a 0.2 Joule energizer. In plain terms, a 1.0 Joule energizer has a more painful shock value than a 0.2 Joule energizer.

Bears are more likely to pay attention to an electrified fence that delivers a painful shock.

Therefore, for deterring bears in developed areas, your energizer will require a minimum Joule rating of:

0.7-1.0 Stored Joules or 0.5-0.7 Output Joules.

Low cost, slow pulse rate, low Joule rated energizers are abundantly available and may be adequate for livestock or pet-yard applications. However, these energizers will not be effective at deterring bears.

Similarly, older energizers that were not designed with modern safety features may be unsafe to use. And high Joule rated energizers are too powerful for small applications; bigger is not necessarily better.
Thank you. I came across this when searching for a pre-made system and the Bear Watch merry the criteria. Here’s to hoping we don’t have to find out on its effectiveness on bears!

OP
M

Mr2143

FNG
I enjoyed mine. Didn’t even get attacked by a bear.

My lovely wife can attest to it stinging pretty bad if you touch it. .5J or not ;)
Wonderful picture! Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m sorry to hear she experienced that.

dtrkyman

WKR
Need to talk to a farmer where I hunted in the midwest, his cattle fence would drop you!

holder171

FNG
Need to talk to a farmer where I hunted in the midwest, his cattle fence would drop you!

Haha. Checking trail cameras one year here in Iowa; tried getting through one and that thing caught me somewhere cause it set me clean on my back! Made me double think ever crossing it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk