Any way to make this nicer?

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
So I got this custom pack for a Kifaru frame from Jimmy tarps. It's about 11 ounces which is great, and it has the features I want. However, there are these cuts which I think the frame goes through. They aren't finished nicely at all. I worry they might allow the pack to easily tear at that spot and leave me with a problem. Is there a way that I can make this nicer? Either by having a tailor fix it up or by doing it myself? I don't have a sewing machine, but maybe I could get one.

IMG_2084.jpg

LBFowler

WKR
if I'm interpreting the design correctly, those don't take any weight and shouldn't have any stress applied to them to speak of? I'd vote light touch with a match or lighter and call it good. keep an eye on them but I wouldn't lose any sleep. Tenacious tape reinforcement is easy peace of mind though.

I have one of these packs as well and I know exactly what your talking about. There is very little stress on them so they "shouldn't" be an issue. However, I used a lighter and burnt to prevent fraying, then put tenacious tape over that with some electrical tape over that. Covered the edges with super glue. Probably a bit excessive. I just wanted to be sure it'll take a beating.

WoodBow

WKR
Is there hypalon under that? If so it will be fine. If you have a soldering gun, it works very well to dress edges so they wont fray.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
The proper way to finish any long, straight cut like that is to make a "button hole". Most newer computerized machines will have a button hole stitch system built in. It is a customizable process. Very easy for a seamstress to address for very cheap. It puts a dense row of stitches on either side and anchors across the top and bottom of the slit.

DaveC

WKR
Good grief. If those are the load lifter slots I'm sure they'll be fine for a good while, but work that shoddy should not be sold retail. I'd have serious reservations about the quality of other, less visible and more structurally important bits.

If the rest of the pack is fine careful edge melting and reinforcement with tenacious tape on the inside would be the minimum. Sewing a buttonhole with a thicker piece of reinforcing fabric inside would be a better option. Best would be laminating a reinforcing layer of fabric with seam grip.