Any Western Mountaineering stomach sleeper users?

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
I am a stomach sleeper with a knee up and one arm over my head. I need a bag for Elk hunting that will get me down to 20 and be comfortable so it looks like a 25 degree bag with over-stuffing will be a perfect fit.? I am looking at the Sycamore, Alder, Ponderosa, and the Feathered Friends Puffin and Condor.

The have never used a mummy bag due to needing my knee up. I have always used a regular rectangular bag car camping and they seem to work great in mild temps. At deer camp I use a Wenzel Grande that is the size on a twin mattress with a wood stove so it weight and size is no issue.

Does anyone sleep on their stomach in a hooded bag with a arm up? Would I be better with a warmer non hooded bag and wear a thick shirt and a beanie with gloves? I have a Sea to Summit comfort plus insulated long/wide pad.

This is how I sleep
stomach-sleeping-position.jpg

Last edited:
OP
B

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
How does the Terralite do in a hunting enviroment vs the MF series? Will be for Sept-first rifle CO. This will be my first non treestand hunt and want to get it right the first time. I have a Nemo Dragonfly 2p tent and it will be kept in a dry bag.

Mosby

WKR
I toss and turn all night. For cold weather I bought a WM Badger. Big bag. For warmer weather I am going with a quilt or my hammock. There isn't a perfect solution for me. Some nights are great. Others aren't.

FatBuddah

WKR
I was in your situation early this year..... I’m a 360* sleeper tossing all night but the majority is like your photo.
I ended up talking with a couple different quilt outfits and finally landed on UGQ. Super accommodating as I called at least a half dozen times. They made me a XL long and wide 0 degree overstuffed which I used this last spring bear.
Love it so far. I feared the quilt was going to be too much but it regulates like a champ.
I’m excited for September!!
FYI I classify myself as a cold sleeper hence the 0 degree w/ overstuff

OP
B

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
I just don't know if I want to do a quilt without fully testing it before hand. I might purchase one in January and try a few nights in the backyard and see how I do.

Gumbo

WKR
I sleep exactly like that and loved my WM. My advice is to get longer than you need, I'm 5' 10" and got the 6' 6" bag so I could have the bag in the normal position and put my pillow in the hood. By doing this my forward arm was in the hood and stayed warm, and my head was underneath the bag as well just below the hood hole. FWIW I would NOT suggest a center zip bag to another belly sleeper.

Lawnboi

WKR
I roll around a lot and have no problem in a megalite and versalite. They are cut pretty roomy.

What I do is use a UL bivy to keep me on my pad during all the rolling, works pretty well.

jmez

WKR
You can just leave it unzipped and use it the same as a quilt with s footbox. I have the Alpinlite and use it this way. I toss and turn a lot and don't have trouble in mine when I actually zip it up.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
Megalite here.... I toss and turn, but less since getting this bag. Plenty of room to turn in the bag or just turn it with you, granted I'm not a monster of a guy either.

OP
B

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
Are they measuring the inside girth by opening the bag up and measuring the hip width from zipper to zipper? If so, I can try out a few friends bags and see if the sycamore will be wide enough or if I need the terralite.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Ok..I am a side sleeper, sprawler and the Terralite is absolutely perfect. Very wide where it matters. They have a very conservative temperature rating and 20F will be no problem as long as you have a good pad and some width to you. I have taken mine down to zero, comfortably wearing long underwear, a sweater and socks. If you are really skinny the bag is so wide that you will have empty space in it and might sleep a bit colder than this fat lad does. For me this is the best piece of gear I own.

The Terralite is a modified mummy..used to call them barrel bags, I think WM calls it a semi-rectangular. Very roomy through the hips and legs.

Roughout

FNG
Belly sleeper here. Made due w mummy bags for last 15 years, typically end up half unzipped quilt w/for box style. I recently picked up a SG 15* bag, slept in 22* and woke up on stomach 180* from where you’re suppose to be sleeping. Didn’t suffocate so was impressed.

Subscribed as I’m all ears on bags for this sleeping style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered the Nemo Disco 15 for @ $250. I will give this bag a try and hopefully I will be satisfied with it.
If I decide it doesnt work for me, I will get a western mountaineering.