Anybody chasing mulies in Colorado unit 20?

Neillamm

FNG
Anybody in unit 20 in Colorado this week? Or did anyone hunt 3rd season? I came out early with the wife to visit the in laws for thanksgiving. Slipping away for a few days to hunt mule deer in unit 20. Just curious if anyone else on here will be out there, or if anyone has been seeing any on public? I know I’m in for some checkerboard hunting, but I have the necessary resources to navigate well.

I hunted hard for 7 days during 2nd season and came out empty handed, shoot me a PM if you want to know more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwelshl7

FNG
I have a tag for 20 4th season, have been doing some e scouting. Wondering what you guys thought of 20 overall, I understand it has its flaws. Wondering if it has potential at all. Thanks

bwelshl7

FNG
Man these posts are hilarious. New members asking other new members for info over the internet on 2 year old threads.
fishslap, why is it funny? I am just trying to network with people that have experience in this unit. I am a new member on Rokslide but feel I have quality information about other units throughout the west and would share basic info if asked. Last time I looked the Rocky Mountains don't change much in 2 years. FORUM DEFINITION - a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

fishslap

WKR
fishslap, why is it funny? I am just trying to network with people that have experience in this unit. I am a new member on Rokslide but feel I have quality information about other units throughout the west and would share basic info if asked. Last time I looked the Rocky Mountains don't change much in 2 years. FORUM DEFINITION - a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
It’s just a repeated cycle this time of year. You have a person who created an account two years ago to get info on a unit then disappeared. He hasn’t been on here since. Then you do a search, find this thread and ask for info. Some guys don’t even start their own threads, they just jump in on others or resurrect an old one. The whole thing just seems kind of lazy and ineffective. If you want to know if it has potential, you can look at the cpw stats. The public land can also be viewed on the cpw atlas or onx. Good luck on your hunt. I live in the unit and don’t hunt it for deer. I do plan to grouse hunt a few spots and if I find anything useful in the way of deer, I’ll shoot you a PM.

bwelshl7

FNG
I’ve hunted 20 several times. Shoot me a PM if you like
It’s just a repeated cycle this time of year. You have a person who created an account two years ago to get info on a unit then disappeared. He hasn’t been on here since. Then you do a search, find this thread and ask for info. Some guys don’t even start their own threads, they just jump in on others or resurrect an old one. The whole thing just seems kind of lazy and ineffective. If you want to know if it has potential, you can look at the cpw stats. The public land can also be viewed on the cpw atlas or onx. Good luck on your hunt. I live in the unit and don’t hunt it for deer. I do plan to grouse hunt a few spots and if I find anything useful in the way of deer, I’ll shoot you a PM.

Fishslap I disagree, I feel any amount of quality information added to a topic is a plus for the forum. I have hunted great animals thanks to hunters that have helped with basic information. I then added to their information with my experience and gave it back to them, or have offered some sort of value in return.

I have been doing research on this unit much longer than just a week, rokslide is a great resource and you would be foolish not to check in with this group of hunters. I have had 3 people contribute to my post above and 1 (yourself) diss me and not add information. So I would call it a positive post and appreciate the good information. I have looked at the unit on maps, onx, google earth, gohunt maps. I have looked at the stats, obviously I applied for the tag. Sometimes interacting with guys who have had boots on the ground helps save a day or two of scouting once you arrive. (at least that is my experience.) Not everyone that asks for help is a bad guy - the hunt is in November, I still may stop in on and check it out while commuting from another hunt this fall., I live in the #1 county in Iowa for whitetails, and can relate to "out of staters" coming to hunt "your secret spot", however I still help a genuine hunter if they need a bit of guidance. Lazy and ineffective is a poor assumption.

bwelshl7

FNG
Was a lazy and ineffective season. Jumped online right before the hunt and some guys gave us their secret spots. Brother shot a 230 buck and we will likely do it again next year in a new unit we know nothing about.
😂 Actually turned my 20 tag back in, checked out the unit on the way back home from this hunt (deer in pic). A lot of closures throughout the unit in the 4th. Fish and game emailed and 20 was one of the main units for returns. May try for elk in the future and pick up a deer tag.
@bwelshl7 how’d your hunt go? The info I PM’d you wasn’t near the burn closure so I’m wondering if you checked it out.

Attachments

• EF9F56BF-D22C-495F-8405-C05A174712FD.jpeg
    EF9F56BF-D22C-495F-8405-C05A174712FD.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 53

chaza402

FNG
I have lived in the unit for 13 years. I have hunted for elk, deer, turkeys, and waterfowl. Its a tough hunt any way you skin it. I have taken two bucks and my dad shot a once in a life time bull last season. Everything I hunt is on private- I am lucky. Of course I live here and have made friends throughout the years. There are some awesome public lands but they are rough and deep.

And the animals are migratory- the bull my dad got I had on a game cam 16 miles away the month before. Deer tend to do the same. Most of the high country is in RMNP and a small chunk is in Indian Peaks-which is huntable but there are alot of hikers, bikers, runners, and climbers in that area too.

Not to mention the three different fires that burned parts of the unit this past season. The animals are still here but some of the forests will be extremely dangerous for years to come-tons of standing dead that has already started blowing over.

I love this unit and if you are in great mountain shape you can haul out some beautiful animals but it is one of the tougher units I have hunted.