Anybody using american made Danners ?

Shrek

WKR
I'm looking to buy some new hunting backpack boots. Looking at some american made danners and need some experienced advice. Everybody talks about kennetek , lowa , hanwag , ect. I try to buy american if I can and looking at the danners. In particular the hood winter light 200gr insulated. I hope to use them in southern Co. in mid Oct. hunting elk at 7000' to 10000'. Any views on suitable boots made in USA. I may end up with european boots but I wanted to look for american made first.

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
I have been wearing Danner Acadia's for years and there is not a boot I love more. Disclaimer: The are my uniform/duty boots at work for 2 years, then they become hunting boots for whitetail/upland bird hunting and hiking in the midwest, I have never wore them hunting in the mountains (because I have never hunted in the mountains) I will be wearing them this year. I still have the original pair I bought 10 years ago, still going strong. They can be re-soled (my local bootmaker charges me $30) or sent to Danner factory for a complete rebuild. Excellent customer service. Super happy with my USA Danners!

Also, check out White's boots. They are USA made, I have a pair of the Smokejumpers for wildland fire. Awesome custom made boots, and I belive they have other lighter hiking type boots, but not sure. Another great USA boot maker!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I use Danner Canadians in the late season. They are well made, quality boots.

They take some breaking in, but seem to accomodate a wide variety of feet.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have some discontinued Foothills, essentially a brown Acadia. They are great for the Midwest, but I'm thinking about trying a mountain boot like the Crispi. I've not had any major problems, but the support seems just a little soft the 2 times I've had them out west.
The insole is only a heel cup and can leave my arch hurting at really long distances. I've thought about a different insole but am pretty sure the toe box would be too tight with a full insole. Something to think about when trying them on. If you use after market insoles definitely take them with you for sizing.

millsms

FNG
I like Danner boots but make sure they have the Made is USA flag! The ones from CHina are CRAP and lining rip and leak! Somebody help me but didn't Lacrosse which i thought was part of Danner just get bought by a Japanese company?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used to love my Danner Pronghorns, with the American made tags. They aren't even in the same league as my Meindl Perfekts. I am just breaking in my Sasslongs from Asolo for backpacking/early season and the Pronhorns don't compare there either. The price difference is well worth it, as much as I completely understand the American made philosophy.

hodgeman

WKR
I wear US made Danners every day. Great boots except when I'm hunting the steep stuff above tree line. Hunting lower country I wear them frequently.

I've never found American boots to have the torsional rigidity of European mountaineering type boots, not a knock on Danners by any stretch but they just flex too much, particularly if I have a heavy load.

bbrown

WKR
I have the Danner Elk Hunters from Cabelas that have treated me well for the past couple years. I went downt The Pronghorn road and the first pair was great - the next 2 were not. My only complaints are they are a bit heavy, a bit warm for early season (I got the insulated so I expected that) and the lug sole tends to collect mud/snow which only adds to the weight. Other than that, they are comfy and hold up very well - when I am guiding in october and november these are the boots I will wear. On the other hand, I picked up a pair of Asolo Sassalongs for the early season that I am liking alot so far.

I have been wearing Danner Acadia's for years and there is not a boot I love more. Disclaimer: The are my uniform/duty boots at work for 2 years, then they become hunting boots for whitetail/upland bird hunting and hiking in the midwest, I have never wore them hunting in the mountains (because I have never hunted in the mountains) I will be wearing them this year. I still have the original pair I bought 10 years ago, still going strong. They can be re-soled (my local bootmaker charges me $30) or sent to Danner factory for a complete rebuild. Excellent customer service. Super happy with my USA Danners!

Also, check out White's boots. They are USA made, I have a pair of the Smokejumpers for wildland fire. Awesome custom made boots, and I belive they have other lighter hiking type boots, but not sure. Another great USA boot maker!
i wear whites for work, i have worn danners but i think the whites are far superior as they are a custom hand made boot.
all that aside, youll never see me elk or mule deer hunting in them. too heavy, stiff, and all around not suited to hunting

KMT

WKR
I have purchased only one pair of Danner boots but have owned three pairs. I bought a set of pronghorns that dissolved half way through the hunting season. Danner replaced them for free with another pair of pronghorns. That set dissolved too. Danner was great and replaced the second pair with the elk hunters. I offered to pay more for the elk hunters because they were supposed to be a better boot and American made. Those boots made it almost one season before they were junk. Danner customer service is exceptional, but their boots were not. I didn't even bother sending the elk hunters back and will never buy another pair of their boots.

For comparative purposes, I bought a pair of Asolo 520 GTX boots twelve years ago and wear them 90% of the time that I hunt or hike. They are still going strong. If I buy another boot, it will be the same model.

hunting1

WKR
I have 3-years now on my Combat Hikers and they are waterproof and comftorble. They fit totally different than the China garbage. I too wore the military line when I was in. They have some new models as well and one that looks like the Pronghorn or the boot I want to love.

MAC2

FNG
Have had 2 pair danner pronghorn seems after 1 year they leak boots dont wearout but are worthless for hunting wet feet aint good .

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425