Anyone compared Berger Hybrids or Accubonds out of Tikka 7mm?

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve been shooting factory ELDX 162s and had good results, both at the range and in the field. Unfortunately, that ammunition is like a unicorn and I can’t find any. I’m looking for a replacement and what I can find at a reasonable price is the Federal Premium Berger Hybrid 168 and the Accubond 160s and maybe Sierra Gamekings. I’ve never shot any of those out of the rifle and I’m hoping there is a consensus as to what is more accurate out of a Tikka 7mm so I can buy 200 rounds and be set for next year. I’m hoping for 1MOA and proper bullet function out to 700-800 yards. I was able to get that with the ELDX, consistently very accurate and killed multiple elk and deer with it this year from 70 yards out to 600. What’s the best option of those bullets?

There's been hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of Bergers and Accubonds fired from Tikka rifles. They work fine, pick the one you want and go for it.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
There's been hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of Bergers and Accubonds fired from Tikka rifles. They work fine, pick the one you want and go for it.
I’m looking for guys who have compared them and chosen one based on accuracy and consistency. Ammo is expensive and rare enough these days that I don’t want to drop a lot of coin on 200 rounds only to find out that perhaps Tikkas don’t like the Berger bullet, etc. I know the ELDX is a shooter out of Tikkas pretty much across the board. I’m hoping one of those bullets has a similar reputation.

I think you're over complicating the decision. Tikkas have a good barrel and will shoot well with any high quality bullet. You simply choose the bullet you want based on how you expect the bullet to perform on game.

Tikka, or any other rifle, doesn't magically shoot a certain bullet the best every time in every barrel. If you want more penetration use an Accubond. If pass through penetration isn't a priority and you want maximum tissue damage use a Berger.

tdhanses

WKR
Hard to say as we don’t have your rifle to test but I doubt you have an issue with either. Your only option is to buy both and test them of take a risk and stock up on one for fear of not being able to get it.

Both are known to be very good, I’m not an accubond fan so I’d get the Berger and roll with it.

I have shot eldx and ABLR out of my 7mm tikka. But I have an aftermarket barrel. Regardless, I don’t think one tikka will group identically to another. For what it’s worth, the AB was less accurate out of my gun.

In my experience, every gun will like one bullet more than another, as far as a 100yd group is concerned.

A bonded bullet will be less consistent than a cup and core like the eldx or Berger, as there are inherent inconsistencies with the bonding process. But, AB is still a good choice and we’re probably talking about one sub MOA group vs another. So, do you really care?

At the distances you want to shoot, consistent velocity is more important than chasing a 0.2moa difference at 100yds.

Unless you’re looking for the AB performance, I’d start with a Berger. That is a more similar bullet construction to the ELDX, which you have shot well.

Last edited:

Frost

FNG
I have shot both out of my tikka 7 mm, although the accubonds were factory loads and Bergers were handloads. As others have said, no guarantees as to which your rifle will like better. Most likely they will both shoot plenty well enough. FWIW, I shot the Nosler trophy grade 160 accubond loaded ammo. It shot fair, 0.75 moa in my gun. ES sucked though, about 50 fps. Also I would definitely not stretch that bullet to 700 yards. I shot a bull at 450 and decided that was about the effective limit of that bullet at that velocity. It was mushroomed partially but not great. If you want to shoot those ranges I would recommend the Bergers.

Berger doesn’t make a 168 hybrid. Since you’re talking factory ammo I assume you meant 168 VLD? I shot both the 168 vld and 180 hybrid. Had a .5 moa load with the 168, didn’t chase it any further. Switched to the 180 hybrid for the BC and weight, found a .2 moa load and haven’t looked back. I much prefer the terminal performance of the Bergers over the accubonds. Especially if you want a 7-800 yard bullet. Personally I would take the Bergers at 1 moa over the accubonds at .5 moa any day of the week.

Hope this helps.

Are you wanting to take game at 700-800 yards or kill paper at that distance? While Accubonds are great, they tend to run out of steam fairly quickly especially with commercial loads.

Not taking into account environmentals (StrelokPro)
* 160 Gr Accubonds hits 1800 FPS between 625-650 yards
* 165 Gr GameKing hits 1800
* 168 Gr Berger hybrid hits 1800 FPS between 750-775 yards
* 168 Gr Berger VLD (HSM) hits 1800 FPSaround 975 yards

Here are a few additional data points:
1) Tikkas in 7 RM have a twist rate of 1:9.5. Check to see if your desired bullet(s) will stabilize.
2) Tikkas in general run slow. You may not get the desires velocities especially with commercial ammo. This in turn reduces your potential max distance. Need a chrinograph
3) Your desired commercial ammo may not even load in your specific rifle. I have a T3X in 6.5 that would not chamber commercial Berger and can’t recall the other commercial load it would not chamber. Others haven’t had any issues.

This is not a good time to be finding alternative ammo. You’re going to overpay for each individual box to find a load that will work. And when you do find a load, it’s going to be tough finding enough (ideally the same lot) to carry you through.

An alternative is to get a custom load developed. Assuming a competent loader, you’ll get the best match for your rifle based upon your requirements. It may cost more but it’ll be far less stressful.

I'm sorry I do not have the specific info you are asking for.
But Berger has a twist rate calculator on the website.
I've tried it on 2 or 3 rifles and once I input all my info and compared bullets. If you choose the one it calculates as the most stable has worked for me so far. Was a 1/2" group each time.

Not exactly what you are looking for but might help a little. My brother loaded up the 168 Berger's in my dads Tikka. They shot sub moa with hardly any workup. My brother in law bought one and tried the same load. It also shot sub moa with the 168's. Neither has tried anything else since the Berger's shoot fine.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I have shot both out of my tikka 7 mm, although the accubonds were factory loads and Bergers were handloads. As others have said, no guarantees as to which your rifle will like better. Most likely they will both shoot plenty well enough. FWIW, I shot the Nosler trophy grade 160 accubond loaded ammo. It shot fair, 0.75 moa in my gun. ES sucked though, about 50 fps. Also I would definitely not stretch that bullet to 700 yards. I shot a bull at 450 and decided that was about the effective limit of that bullet at that velocity. It was mushroomed partially but not great. If you want to shoot those ranges I would recommend the Bergers.

Berger doesn’t make a 168 hybrid. Since you’re talking factory ammo I assume you meant 168 VLD? I shot both the 168 vld and 180 hybrid. Had a .5 moa load with the 168, didn’t chase it any further. Switched to the 180 hybrid for the BC and weight, found a .2 moa load and haven’t looked back. I much prefer the terminal performance of the Bergers over the accubonds. Especially if you want a 7-800 yard bullet. Personally I would take the Bergers at 1 moa over the accubonds at .5 moa any day of the week.

Hope this helps.
It is what Federal Markets as the "hybrid hunter", which I am assuming is the VLD since Berger's website only lists a "Classic Hunter" and a VLD.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Are you wanting to take game at 700-800 yards or kill paper at that distance? While Accubonds are great, they tend to run out of steam fairly quickly especially with commercial loads.

Not taking into account environmentals (StrelokPro)
* 160 Gr Accubonds hits 1800 FPS between 625-650 yards
* 165 Gr GameKing hits 1800
* 168 Gr Berger hybrid hits 1800 FPS between 750-775 yards
* 168 Gr Berger VLD (HSM) hits 1800 FPSaround 975 yards

Here are a few additional data points:
1) Tikkas in 7 RM have a twist rate of 1:9.5. Check to see if your desired bullet(s) will stabilize.
2) Tikkas in general run slow. You may not get the desires velocities especially with commercial ammo. This in turn reduces your potential max distance. Need a chrinograph
3) Your desired commercial ammo may not even load in your specific rifle. I have a T3X in 6.5 that would not chamber commercial Berger and can’t recall the other commercial load it would not chamber. Others haven’t had any issues.

This is not a good time to be finding alternative ammo. You’re going to overpay for each individual box to find a load that will work. And when you do find a load, it’s going to be tough finding enough (ideally the same lot) to carry you through.

An alternative is to get a custom load developed. Assuming a competent loader, you’ll get the best match for your rifle based upon your requirements. It may cost more but it’ll be far less stressful.
I have heard that about AB, and I can't find the ABLR so those aren't a player. The 168s are stabilized with my twist rate as well. I have found that indeed, both my Tikkas fail to meet the numbers on the box; speeds are fairly consistent but usually 20fps slower than advertised, although I had always assumed this was manufacturer optimism and not a Tikka issue.

My 7mm tikka shot the 168 bergers, 162 amax and 160 gameking very well but for whatever reason didn't like the accubond nearly as well. Every gun is different tho. FWIW my 300 win mag tikka seemed to like the 180 accubonds better than any other bullet I tried.