Anyone haul a trailer? Having a logistics conundrum…

Trailer?

• Plan A- Rent a 4x8 enclosed U-haul

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Plan B- Take the open trailer

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Plan C- Pair down gear

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
We take an open trailer every year with two ATVs, coolers and other things. I drive a Tahoe so valuable things go inside and everything else on the trailer. Never had an issue.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
I think enclosed is much more secure than an open trailer, not from a strict sense in that with the right tools, anyone can get into an encolsed trailer, but just not being able to see inside and the extra minimal steps, will really reduce the potential. Sort of like closed windows and blinds on a home reduce the odds of burglary. All burglars have the technology and skills to break a window.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I bought a Tundra in May (6.5' bed Dbl cab), my wife asked "so which truck are you getting rid of".......('89 Toyota or F-350 cc lb)? I told her "neither........the Tundra can't do what those two do". There's no way I could make a short bed crew cab Tundra work even for just myself with the wall tent and all of base camp. I couldn't even make all that work in the 6.5' bed with the size of cooler I have.

Of your options, I'd choose the open trailer option.......but I'd seriously be looking for a longer term closed trailer option.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a vote for an enclosed trailer. Different scenario but we rented a uhaul to bring some furniture back from vacation in Florida. The next year we bought a 6x10 enclosed for our twice a year trips down and back. The enclosed allows us to take whatever we want and don’t have to worry about it getting damaged by the weather and it’s secure the entire trip. The trailer we bought has saved us compared to the rental costs if we had rented a trailer each time we went. It’s also nice to have access to an enclosed trailer around home when the need arises.

Jethro

WKR
I’ve done PA to KS with a little uhaul trailer, no issues.

3 trips with open trailer fully loaded gear and atvs, no issues. For gas stops we do take turns running into bathroom so someone is always with trailer. 1 thing with open trailer on FS roads is you’ll learn the true definition of dusty if it’s dry.

A bunch of trips renting an enclosed from a trailer shop, not uhaul. 12 or 16 foot depending on our needs. Nice to have the enclosed at camp. We throw tarp over it so can go tent to trailer and have plenty of covered storage.

You’ll be fine which ever trailer you choose. The cons you listed are not very significant. We drive straight through, so no motel security concerns for us.

Also, the only difference between stealing from an open utility trailer and an enclosed trailer is that the thief will need a bolt cutters.
I doubt bolt cutters will get you into my enclosed trailer. By lock design there is nothing that can be cut. Maybe rip the door hinges apart. Drill out latch bolts?? But your not cutting anything open with bolt cutters. JMO

ahenry82

FNG
Bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer for hunting trips comes in handy in the off season for other trips

Fatcamp

WKR
I see those Uhaul trailers on the Interstate constantly from all over the country. Never see them broke down.

Seems like an easy button.

Of course your buddies open trailer is a cheaper option.

mkbubolz

FNG
Had 3 in the truck (short bed crew max tundra) last year for the trip to Wyoming. Even with just one elk tag, it was tight, and it really got cramped once the meat had to go in the coolers. ETA that was with a bed extender and standard truck cap btw.

We’ve got 3 this year again, also with one tag. I also bought one of those Ozark trail wall tents for near the truck. It’s not a bad glamping set up for the price, but it does take up a significant amount of room. If I haul it, it’s gonna make a trailer a must.

We are headed to a known trailhead. It’s our 3rd hunt to this location so we know the roads and what the general hunt plan is. The roads are relatively maintained and the trailhead is looped with ample room.

Suffice it to say, we have 3 options.

Plan A) Rent a small enclosed U-haul.

Pros
- Plenty of room for everyone’s gear, wall tent, coolers, etc.
- Relatively secure.
- It’s not mine, if it gets messed up, breaks, etc. I can probably swap it at a u-haul dealer along the way.

Cons
-Unkown maintenance status, some concern of hauling a rental trailer across county and on forest service roads.
-Difficulty with parking, turning around, higher chance of getting stuck, etc.
-cost (~$180)

Plan B - Take my hunting parters open utility trailer

Pros
- Free
- Known maintenance status
- Plenty of room

Cons
-Serious security concerns with any stops along the way. I’d probably cover everything with a tarp, park near our door if we stop at a motel, and keep the less valuable things on it, but it’s a major concern of mine.

Plan C - Ditch the trailer and pair down gear.

Pros
- No trailer to worry about

Cons
- Catching serious inclement weather (we have a habit of catching early winter storms) and be stuck in lightweight backpack tents and/or waste time/money at hotels.
- Ditch “what ifs” like recovery gear, nice to haves like cots, extra gear, and pair it down to coolers and backpacks.

Of all the options, plan A seems like the best. Having done this a few times, we’ve decided a plush “truck” camp to come back to after a few days backpack hunting is a must. That or hunker down when the weather turns. It’s cheaper than hotels and saves significant time over driving into town for the night.

That said hauling a rental trailer that far makes me a little nervous. Anyone rent a small trailer for their hunts?

Unfortunately buying an enclosed trailer is out of the budget. I looked, and quickly realized it wasn’t happening. 😂
I like they haul idea

elkguide

WKR
Having travelled cross country to hunt for the last 30 years, my first recommendation is a full-sized, crew cab truck with a cap. Second would be the enclosed trailer.

BadDogPSD

WKR
Hauling a trailer is going to reduce your fuel economy quite a bit. Is taking a second vehicle an option?

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with plan B. A flatbed trailer makes everything so easy. Depending on the type of ice chests you use, you can fill them with gear and lock them down on the way there. I'd also consider shrink wrapping a tarp over everything like a shipping pallett, then ratchet strapping in excess. 3 guys can watch that load, no problem. Parking by my room has never been that difficult during hunting season. Added pros of the flatbed are load, unload, all around accessibility and extra working space in camp. Everything is right there.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Also, the only difference between stealing from an open utility trailer and an enclosed trailer is that the thief will need a bolt cutters.
Also, stealing from an enclosed trailer can be done in and around the privacy of an enclosed trailer. Stealing from a flatbed with a tightly secured load is a lot of work for a tweaker out in the open. If you tarp a flatbed load, then shrink wrap it really well, then ratchet strap it all with good straps, a thief would either have to undo loud straps or cut straps under tension. Then cut shrink wrap and fight a tarp to get all the stuff. All out in the wide open. that would be a much more daring theft than popping a lock and tossing all your shit out of an enclosed uhaul. Especially if you use a brand new tarp. Extra starchy.

CJohnson

WKR
I would reduce your gear or take a different vehicle. Time is always my biggest concern and the biggest threat to losing time on a hunt is breaking down on the way out or while you're out there. Adding a trailer is adding more moving parts that don't have to be there. And, based on what you've explained so far, your crew would probably fill up a trailer pretty fast too and then you'd need a bigger one a couple of years from now, lol.

Keep your emergency stuff and ditch anything that hasn't been used in the previous three years when you've gone out there.

This is an aside, but it's about as easy to break into an enclosed trailer as it would be to cut tarps off an open utility trailer. The crackheads around here use a gas station bowie knife and just cut a hole in the sheet metal to get in. The big advantage to an enclosed trailer would be not having to shake dust out of all your gear once you get to the trail head.

OP
B
Why are you only taking one vehicle?
It’s an option.

Lots of cons though… It’s a 3800 mile round trip. That’s roughly $800 in gas. Not to mention the added risk of someone driving solo, nodding off, etc. Another vehicle that could break down as well.

Life is better when there are 3 guys to split driving duties. With a trailer, I probably wouldn’t need to put any gear in the rear seat and whoever is back there could go horizontal and get some shut eye. We might even be able to safely drive though the night that way.

If we had four, a second truck would probably be the way to go, but 3 is that awkward middle ground. Not entirely opposed to the idea, I’ve made the drive solo before, and in a weird way enjoy it.

Wrench

WKR
I have a cb in every one of my trucks. When we take the travel trailer and boat, my wife and I can stay in communication 100% of the time.

Jethro

WKR
It’s an option.

Lots of cons though… It’s a 3800 mile round trip. That’s roughly $800 in gas. Not to mention the added risk of someone driving solo, nodding off, etc. Another vehicle that could break down as well.

Life is better when there are 3 guys to split driving duties. With a trailer, I probably wouldn’t need to put any gear in the rear seat and whoever is back there could go horizontal and get some shut eye. We might even be able to safely drive though the night that way.

If we had four, a second truck would probably be the way to go, but 3 is that awkward middle ground. Not entirely opposed to the idea, I’ve made the drive solo before, and in a weird way enjoy it.
You are absolutely correct. 3 is the best number. Somebody is always laying down and sleeping in the back seat. Its better than 4 guys, where have to try sleep sitting up. Or with your head on your buddies lap :oops:.

Take your buds open trailer. Seal gear to handle weather. Drive straight through with 3 guys and have a great trip.

You are absolutely correct. 3 is the best number. Somebody is always laying down and sleeping in the back seat. Its better than 4 guys, where have to try sleep sitting up. Or with your head on your buddies lap :oops:.

Take your buds open trailer. Seal gear to handle weather. Drive straight through with 3 guys and have a great trip.

I can't sleep when someone else is driving, don't trust them :ROFLMAO: