anyone have field experience with the Spartan Davros pro head for glassing and shooting?

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I just wanted to check in to see how everyone is still liking their Spartan setup. I'm currently looking to purchase my first tripod and head for glassing and shooting since I've always borrowed a friends in the past and I'm leaning heavily towards the Davros Pro for ease of switching back and forth between glass and rifle. I don't like the idea of drilling and screwing an arca plate to my rifle and like how I could play around with using a sling stud attachment with Spartan. Then if I like the setup, can install the gunsmith adapter which seems less obstructive on my main rifle and just use the sling stud adapters on other rifles.

My buddies just use a rifle saddle on an arca to not drill into their stocks, but the Spartan setup seems easier to me. Anyone with experience of using a saddle vs a davros head, how does the stability in shooting compare long range? I currently don't have anything from Spartan, but if I go this route, would likely also get their bipod to complete the setup.

So I use the spartan setup. For glassing it is easy and straightforward. Same for bipod use.

For shooting it’s a little more complicated. The tripod and ball head won’t hold the rifle with the spartan attachment all the way forward. You have to hold the rear end of the rifle. So if always taking quick shots it’s fine. If you want to leave the rifle on the tripod for extended periods, you need to mount a spartan adapter (gunsmith or other) closer to the center point of the rifle. Or use a rifle clamp. But there isn’t a great clamp set up to work on the spartan system. I tried rigging a heavy/professional optics adapter on the bottom of a saddle. It worked fine, but definitely not a rock solid setup.

What I have found is for my dedicated tripod hunting like I do for coyotes, I use an arca clamp and leveling base. For stalk hunting and quick shots (pretty much all my deer hunting or when I go to Africa) I use the spartan system. I will say I went ahead and added a gunsmith adapter to all my rifles as well as the forward bipod mount. It’s just and easier shooting solution with the rifle mounted more centrally.
Here is an AR I have on Davros pro head.

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I use the spartan setup. For glassing it is easy and straightforward. Same for bipod use.

For shooting it’s a little more complicated. The tripod and ball head won’t hold the rifle with the spartan attachment all the way forward. You have to hold the rear end of the rifle. So if always taking quick shots it’s fine. If you want to leave the rifle on the tripod for extended periods, you need to mount a spartan adapter (gunsmith or other) closer to the center point of the rifle.

Agreed. It will almost hold mine (6# rifle) without anymore support on the front bipod spot on the tripod, but not quite. I'm getting Spartan gunsmith adapters for both my Kimber and am 99.9% sure it will hold when the rifle is more centered.

Agreed. It will almost hold mine (6# rifle) without anymore support on the front bipod spot on the tripod, but not quite. I'm getting Spartan gunsmith adapters for both my Kimber and am 99.9% sure it will hold when the rifle is more centered.
The Davros pro head is a fine head. When centered it will hold it no problem, even with heavy thermals.

I just wanted to check in to see how everyone is still liking their Spartan setup. I'm currently looking to purchase my first tripod and head for glassing and shooting since I've always borrowed a friends in the past and I'm leaning heavily towards the Davros Pro for ease of switching back and forth between glass and rifle. I don't like the idea of drilling and screwing an arca plate to my rifle and like how I could play around with using a sling stud attachment with Spartan. Then if I like the setup, can install the gunsmith adapter which seems less obstructive on my main rifle and just use the sling stud adapters on other rifles.

My buddies just use a rifle saddle on an arca to not drill into their stocks, but the Spartan setup seems easier to me. Anyone with experience of using a saddle vs a davros head, how does the stability in shooting compare long range? I currently don't have anything from Spartan, but if I go this route, would likely also get their bipod to complete the setup.

I think @omicron1792 really nailed it. If I were to describe the differences between the Spartan system and other things like Arca, I'd describe Spartan as optimized for spot-and-stalk hunting. They're lighter, quicker, and more ergonomic, with excellent stability, and when you look at it as a system to include ease of glassing, you just have less bulk and weight. But I wouldn't say they're optimized for something like PRS, or pushing out past ethical hunting distances. For what I do, I absolutely love it - especially as a system.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I think @omicron1792 really nailed it. If I were to describe the differences between the Spartan system and other things like Arca, I'd describe Spartan as optimized for spot-and-stalk hunting. They're lighter, quicker, and more ergonomic, with excellent stability, and when you look at it as a system to include ease of glassing, you just have less bulk and weight. But I wouldn't say they're optimized for something like PRS, or pushing out past ethical hunting distances. For what I do, I absolutely love it - especially as a system.
This is exactly how I'd use it. I just want something that's easy to set up that I don't have to think about it under pressure. Right now I generally just shoot off my pack or use my trekking poles as shooting sticks, so I'm assuming this will be very stable out to 400 yard shots. It'll be an investment, but great to know it all works together in a somewhat lightweight package.

This is exactly how I'd use it. I just want something that's easy to set up that I don't have to think about it under pressure. Right now I generally just shoot off my pack or use my trekking poles as shooting sticks, so I'm assuming this will be very stable out to 400 yard shots. It'll be an investment, but great to know it all works together in a somewhat lightweight package.
You will be very happy with it used like this.

Here is a Blaser r8 with a front mounted bipod spartan mount and a more centered gunsmith mount. You can see it it holding fine. This is as far posterior as an adapter can be put on the Blaser.

IMG_4010.jpeg

JFK

WKR
I’ve been using this setup for a few months now. Have not hunted with it extensively. Just off season pig hunting. I have shot off of it at the range.

Glassing is decent. I’ve only run a set of 10x binos on mine so far with the Spartan bino adapter. Shooting has been good as well. There are better solutions for glassing, and there are better solutions for shooting, but I think the Spartan system has the most overlap, while keeping things simple, light and fast.

The gunsmith adapter in front of the mag well is basically a requirement. I wouldn’t buy the Davros with the intent to shoot off it without also putting the gunsmith adapter in.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Turn the sprocket down in the slot, mount the spotter on the side works great. Two 90 degree axis, most people use it on the top with the ball head and won't work as well. Never going to be like some expensive heavy bulky pan head. But a pig pan head is not light, quick, used for quick exchange to shooting, etc.

Turn the sprocket down in the slot, mount the spotter on the side works great. Two 90 degree axis, most people use it on the top with the ball head and won't work as well. Never going to be like some expensive heavy bulky pan head. But a pig pan head is not light, quick, used for quick exchange to shooting, etc.
Show me a pic of this setup please If you can. A little hard to picture it