anyone here use duracoat?

Sled

WKR
i'm thinking of paining a blued tikka barrel and possibly action. the duracoat kit seems like an easy way to accomplish this but how does it hold up in a hunting environment? i don't want to strip it off after a couple sesons because it's flaking off or all scratched up. if that's the case i can use krylon.

any tips for painting with duracoat?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's better than spray paint for sure. You'll need to prep it really good it and let it fully cure. It sticks to stainless better than blueing I've heard. Definitely focus on the degrease properly stage. Here's mine I did a couple years ago. Been holding up pretty well but does have some scratches. It's easy to touch up but I haven't worried about it. Only ones I see are either real shit jobs or done meticulous. This rifle is getting a new barrel and I've thought about a different coating just to avoid the cure time of three coats
58a89b79289ef9fd59af6daf939327cd.jpg
8fd9bbd8bed06e11a4c3b33782a78e12.jpg
bed837ee1182edce36f2b019e8e0d2dd.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Oldffemt

WKR
I used it on a couple of 80% ARlowers that I did a few years ago. It’s held up fairly well considering the abuse they take. I have worn through the finish around the mag well and where the dust cover flips down and makes contact. Like any paint, it’s all about the prep work. I bead blasted the bare aluminum and then dunked them in acetone before painting. Finish has definitely lasted better than krylon.

Ctpa61

FNG
I have done a few firearms with it. Like the others said prep work is key. Also after time and use you will see some wear spots.

Scrappy

WKR
I better find my glasses, I kept reading your thread tittle over a d over. I kept seeing Anyone here a dumocrat?

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
still need to pick a color and decide to paint the barrel and action or just the barrel. if i do the action as well, i'll likely keep it out of the inside to preserve the smooth bolt.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I better find my glasses, I kept reading your thread tittle over a d over. I kept seeing Anyone here a dumocrat?
and with this covid stuff you might see a lot of democrats here trying to figure out how to use the firearm they just bought. might also see some good deals on some never fired guns.

I did an AR handgaurd, looks like crap because trying to get it in all angles on a Picatinny quad rail I had runs.
I think its held up ok. Other then when I tightened the nut with a punch lol.
Guess I should see how its holding up, as I don't really pay attention to the ARs

manitou1

WKR
I have used it on a couple of stocks and it has held up well. I think I would go the cerakote route on metal. The cure time for Duracoat is a bi_ ch for impatient folks like me.

Kerbs

FNG
I have done a couple of rifles with it and overall have been happy. Prep is key as everyone says on here. Dry time is long but it has held up well. I prefer cerakote but send stuff off for that work. I have had good luck with Brownells Gunkote as well if you have access to an oven that will fit. (I've done two tikka's in the house oven.) Not cerakote quality but can be done in a day vs duracoat dry time.

MeatBuck

WKR
We'll see how mine holds up this season.
Duracoat on stainless and on blued.

I hate blued finishes, just asking for rust imo.

If you choose to go with spray paint, watch how thick you lay it on. I've done it and "bedded" the bbl to the stock because it came out so thick.

I used duracote to paint a stock that I made for my tikka build. Did the multicam kit and I’m real happy with it.
The metal is Cerakote though

Attachments

• D909FCE3-B3FD-4CD8-A45A-3084BA4FE334.jpeg
    D909FCE3-B3FD-4CD8-A45A-3084BA4FE334.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 45
  • EE3F2836-B6CE-4F0A-BA92-C2212EFA9D59.jpeg
    EE3F2836-B6CE-4F0A-BA92-C2212EFA9D59.jpeg
    678.1 KB · Views: 44

manitou1

WKR
We'll see how mine holds up this season.
Duracoat on stainless and on blued.

I hate blued finishes, just asking for rust imo.

If you choose to go with spray paint, watch how thick you lay it on. I've done it and "bedded" the bbl to the stock because it came out so thick.
Try Froglube on your rifles. I have been hunting for half a century, and hunt hard... in rain ,snow, ice. The only gun I ever had rust on me was as a kid. I had put a wet rifle in a gun case and neglected to get it out ASAP when getting home. All my guns (other than muzzleloaders and handguns) have been blued. I do give my guns a wipe down after a day of hunting wet conditions. Now... if I hunted coastal Alaska as a norm, I would definitely be toting silver or coated guns.

MeatBuck

WKR
Try Froglube on your rifles. I have been hunting for half a century, and hunt hard... in rain ,snow, ice. The only gun I ever had rust on me was as a kid. I had put a wet rifle in a gun case and neglected to get it out ASAP when getting home. All my guns (other than muzzleloaders and handguns) have been blued. I do give my guns a wipe down after a day of hunting wet conditions. Now... if I hunted coastal Alaska as a norm, I would definitely be toting silver or coated guns.
I agree that keeping a gun oiled helps keep rust down but unless you are unscrewing your sling studs and treating the threads each time you wipe down, rust will still sneak into those hard to reach places. My hand sweat causes most of it as we don't get much rain during deer season here in the California summer.
A weekend hunt in moist weather and no gun oil at camp will do it too.
Often times like you say, when I get home from a hunt I'm ready to get meat in icebox and hit a shower and a meal, not lube my rifles finish.

FrogStuff sounds like it'd be good for a duck/goose gun.

MeatBuck

WKR
Meant to add underside of bbl and action rust too. I don't know any guys who tear the stock off, oil, and resight in their gun between wet hunt days.