Anyone hunting NE Oregon elk?

cmeier117

WKR
I am leaving in 5 days and will be gone 10 days on my elk hunt. Going in 4-5 miles. Anyone else hunt one of the NE Oregon units?

TJ

WKR
I am taking the last 9 days of season in that area. I went for a "quick" weekender on the opener. I couldn't get a rise out of anything.
I did find 3 bulls but could not close the distance, damn!!!

Are you hiking in or getting dropped?

lintond

WKR
I just got back from the imnaha with no luck. Had the wolf pack come into a pond I was watching to about 50 yds. Holy cow was that an experience. Once I stood up and showed them I was there the alpha male howled at me for 5+ minutes. He wasn't backing down. I decided I would end my trip a day Arley and bring a pistol next time.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Heading into the snake. Hope we can avoid the wolves. We are backpacking in 5 miles and will bivy out from there. Water is a bit scarce so camping next to water makes things easier. So our camping spots are a bit limited. Most guides I see packing guys in are bringing water in.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Any of you guys ever hunt Wallows this early in the year? I was looking over my notes from last year and remember there are 2 good wallows that are fed by springs. If I am not having luck glassing for elk I may spend a day or two at some of those wallows. Thoughts?

TJ

WKR
If water is scarce a good wallow or spring can work well if your patient and persistent. I have had good success in similar situations.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
That is the problem, I am not very patient. But I am trying to be more patient this year.

Headed up to Emily to trophy spike hunt in a few hours. Thinking more about a bear more than anything else. Should be a fun few days.

Which part of the Snake are you going in from? I have spent some time in there in the spring chasing bears.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Weather is looking at being 90 degrees on the first day I go over and then 80-85 or so the rest of the week. I am getting nervous about being able to pack out the meat in time before spoilage. Worst case scenario it could be 5 mile 4,000 foot gain pack out..... My legs are hurting already.

TJ

WKR
Have you talked to any outfitters about a meat haul if needed?

I know they're spendy but it would be worth it.

Jay03

WKR
spening 5 days in the southern border of the eagle cap wilderness in a few days, will go again at the end of the season for 4 days if the first trip doesnt produce anything. There is lots of water where I will be.. but also wonder about getting something out in time. I am planning on camping 4 miles in, the elevation difference is almost 3000 feet. Saw 2 herds of elk and a few very nice bucks on a scouting trip 2 weeks ago. I just got my Kifaru DT2 pack a few days ago... very excited to try it out.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Ya I did. $450 $300 if he's already in area. As long as I find the elk right away I should be fine. But I talked to two outfitters and they gave me some good info. They said the biggest thing is there are tons of black bears right now and they had two cases last year where bears come right up to them while they were breaking down animal. So getting all the meat out in one trip with 2 guys is kinda important.

If you guys haven't already, look up Barry Cox's outfit, Del Sol Wilderness Adventures...they do meat hauls if they're not packing clients in/out. I've hunted the Cap's in early archer and saw a PILE of bears, i wouldn't go in there early without a bear tag.....i've hunted it the last two weeks of archery and saw zero bears! Have fun, the Cap's and the Snake is BIG country!!!

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm headed over this weekend to Unit 57. We're packing in on mountain bikes. Kind of a scouting-hunt to prep for the 9 day mission when we go back 9/13-9/22. Never know though, we might tag one this weekend if they want to play... Saw a few nice bucks and bulls when I scouted earlier this month.

Bears, bucks and bulls beware...

OR Archer

WKR
Heading to the Caps next Friday for 8 days. Cant wait to get the heck out of town and get in there after the elk.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Never hunted the eagle caps but heard it is good elk hunting. Curious how crowded it will be this year?

Spent a couple days out man was it hot. Did see a couple big bulls, which was cool, but I had a spike tag. The main area I had scouted and had found a large herd in leading up to the season had sheep in it. The bulls were still by themselves, and not a lot of bugling.