< Anyone Running a Blast Forwarding Device?

I am Building a 300wsm 16-inch barrel on a black collar arms chassis. This will be an Ultralight hunting build for me, around 7-8lbs. Being that the barrel is shorter I think it's going to be loud AF. While I always plan to run ear pro, I imagine there will be times where there is no time to put my ear pro in. I do not live in a free state so the next best option looks to be a Blast forwarding device. Obviously its not a suppressor, but I hear it reduces the decibels to the ear by 30-40db. I think I am going to first try the Indian Creek BFD which is just the shroud and will work with my Titanium Brake. But Witt Machine makes a nice-looking unit as well. (The SME)
Just wondering if anyone else is running a Blast forwarding device and if it is worth it for the times shots are fired with no ear pro.

For anyone interested here are some videos on it.

smith406

FNG
It’s not a silencer and it takes away the brakes effectiveness. Seems like a lot of extra steps to achieve what is basically a bare muzzle.

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
It’s not a silencer and it takes away the brakes effectiveness. Seems like a lot of extra steps to achieve what is basically a bare muzzle.
So have you tried one? From my understanding it takes away some of the recoil reduction but still helps quite a bit

smith406

FNG
Neither of those two. I have used a bunch of linear style brakes, boosters, and brake shrouds.

The reduction they are claiming is between a bare brake vs a brake plus shroud. I’d be curious what a bare muzzle meters at vs shrouded brake.

The difference I can see between the Witt and say a sure fire warden is that the Witt fits tighter to the brake. If this creates an expansion chamber that suppresses the shot that by definition is a silencer. If it just doesn’t let the brake vent anywhere bet forward then why not run a bare muzzle?

Now if you run a brake as a blast baffle on a suppressed gun, that for any number of reasons, you can’t use suppressed than this isn’t a bad idea.

Vandy321

WKR
It's a linear compensator...they came from the AR/AK world...don't waste your money. It's a poor mans can and really only good for not going blind and deaf if you fire your rifle in the house, say at night, at an intruder. Although I'd still count on going blind and deaf if you fire your rifle in the house at night.

ElPollo

WKR
Buy some electronic in-the-ear plugs. Best money I ever spent. The thing is though, that little cannon will still destroy your hearing no matter what ear pro you use.

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
Why not just run a 22-24" barrel? Seems like a 16" 300WSM is going to be the world's loudest .308WIN.

The blast won't be as bad if you burn more of the powder in the barrel! LOL>
Weight and size specs I want to meet for this rifle. It will give me enough velocity to be effective out to 1000 yards. It will be balanced really well and very maneuverable.Only downside is the loudness.

ElPollo

WKR
Which ones are you running?
I've been using a pair of SoundGear Platinums for 3.5 years. Got them from an audiologists office for half the price on the SoundGear website. I use them for all my hunting, mostly upland and big game, and practice. I can hear scaled quail calling way further with them in and running. I wish I'd bought them 10-20 years earlier. Every shot without ear pro damages your hearing and it does not get better. It slowly degrades until the Mariachi band in your ear never goes away and you find yourself saying "What?" all the time.

ElPollo

WKR
Here is an article that talks about hearing loss from using breaked guns even when wearing ear pro.

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
Here is an article that talks about hearing loss from using breaked guns even when wearing ear pro.

I hear you there
(Pun intended)
I always shoot with hearing protection, but if there is a 6x6 standing in front of me and he is getting ready to dart. I’m pulling the trigger lol.