Anyone tried peanut oil in your chainsaw?

Rich M

WKR
I just use a chan saw to cut thru cow bones when processing. Dont use bar oil often, usually run em dry.

Pnut oil sounds good tho.

I just use a chan saw to cut thru cow bones when processing. Dont use bar oil often, usually run em dry.

Pnut oil sounds good tho.
you could probably just cut them at the joint and not worry about the oil getting all over your meat? 🤯🤔

I do use a hand saw if I'm cross cutting the shanks though

Rich M

WKR
you could probably just cut them at the joint and not worry about the oil getting all over your meat? 🤯🤔

I do use a hand saw if I'm cross cutting the shanks though
You missed the not using chain oil part. I don't get oil on the meat. But i don't cut the meat with the saw either, just the bone.

Never butchered an elk but deer come apart easy - don't need a saw for those.

Attachments

• Cow 2.jpg
    Cow 2.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 34

gbflyer

WKR
I’ve run veg oil in a 462 Stihl with a 36” bar cutting 28” HDPE pipe. It’ll work fine for your butchering task.

Why not just mineral oil? We use it on cutting boards. Olive, Avacado, Peanut oil can and will go bad. Especially if it gets hot. A buddy of mine is a chef and scolded me for keeping my olive oil both next to the stove, and in an open container - needs to be in a sealed container/bottle and stored in cabinet.

Bc7mm

FNG
I’ve used a chainsaw a few times. i cut with the top of the bar so it sends all the mess the opposite direction. I make sure my bar oil is flushed out well and don’t bother to put veggie oil in it. It’s there for lubricant for the bar and chain. I figure there’s Lots of fluids present to do that from the animal. I now use a saws all much prefer it to a chainsaw.

badger109

FNG
I used cheap vegetable oil and it left a sticky residue on the bar/chain when it dried. Not damaged, rusty, or siezed but worth noting

NRA4LIFE

WKR
If I'm not backpacking, the cordless sawzall goes with me. A gamechanger when I killed a moose a few years back. (Thanks John for the tip).

OP
Dos Perros
Fellas, I was thinking about this thread a few weeks ago. I saw some folks riiiiiiiiip through some buffalo with sawzalls. I bought one before I ever put peanut oil in my chainsaw.

Warmsy

WKR
Peanut oil is pretty thin. I wouldn't use it for more than a few minutes at a time. Or not heavy use.

Used to use vegetable oil in saws for a while when I was doing lots of chainsaw work. It turns into like old grease, hard and difficult to remove. Should work fine for your purpose. I imagine those electric saw run at slower speeds, so you might not have those problems.

I would treat a battery saw much crappier than I would a $1200 Husqvarna.

LostArra

WKR
sawzall is for amateur's. hackzall is what the cool kids use....if I hurt any feelings go to a safe place.

I need to spend more time in the tool aisle. I had to Google hackzall. It does look cool. Thanks for the tip.

Wrench

WKR
I have a battery chainsaw that I use exclusively for elk and other bones. I have run mine dry for about 5 years now and its cut off plenty of stuff. I will dip into a bowl of lard for a quick lube every year....but otherwise this $10 chain should last a zillion elk. If i was insisting on oil, I'd go food grade mineral....but lard will do fine and dry won't hurt a thing. I usually pressure wash it off after season and run the chain through the lard after it dries.....I keep a tub of lard in my shop for odd use in the machine shop anyway.