Anyone try the new KUIU Boonie?

I have always been a big fan of boonie style hats as they protect your neck and ears unlike baseball hats. I am in the market for a new hot weather hat for this summer and maybe to use for Archery Elk. The new KUIU Gila Pro boonie looks interesting but I have not seen any reviews for it. Has anyone had any experience with this hat?

71013-KH_FrontMannequin_GilaProAirmeshBoonie_2023_100x.png

Venom One

WKR
I ordered one for all the reasons you mentioned and it went back immediately. I like a lot of Kuiu's stuff, but the hat was a big miss. I can't remember all the things I disliked, but after playing with it a few minutes it was obvious that it wasn't going to work for me. Bummed me out because it looked awesome in the picture. The fit wasn't comfortable and it had no structure as I recall. The brim was flopping and wanted to lay down which negates its sun protection, and the top collapsed onto my head. One of their biggest misses on product design IMO.

I have one new in the box, tried it on and it was comfy but haven't needed it yet. I'll go play with it and come up with some thoughts. I do remember it being somewhat flimsy, but that's not uncommon for similar fishing type hats I've got and it's nice to be able to stuff it in a duffel bag or backpack without worrying about a more firm hat getting crushed. IIRC it arrived folded in half in the packaging and maintained the crease where it folds.

I just looked them up this morning. I need to keep the sun damage off my face.

This post has me rethinking the Kuiu one. Hmmm

I’ve been wearing my issue military desert boonie but wanted an upgrade. Guess I might just be keeping my marpat boonie until something “tried and true” comes along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
I ordered one for all the reasons you mentioned and it went back immediately. I like a lot of Kuiu's stuff, but the hat was a big miss. I can't remember all the things I disliked, but after playing with it a few minutes it was obvious that it wasn't going to work for me. Bummed me out because it looked awesome in the picture. The fit wasn't comfortable and it had no structure as I recall. The brim was flopping and wanted to lay down which negates its sun protection, and the top collapsed onto my head. One of their biggest misses on product design IMO.
Thanks for the heads up on the hat and it makes sense. Sometimes KUIU takes a fabric they like and try to shoe it into to other items and it looks like it failed here.

Dennis

WKR
1681758756615.jpeg
Kuiu Boonie seems cool enough and light weight. Brim does seem a little too wide, but does add shade.

I have one new in the box, tried it on and it was comfy but haven't needed it yet. I'll go play with it and come up with some thoughts. I do remember it being somewhat flimsy, but that's not uncommon for similar fishing type hats I've got and it's nice to be able to stuff it in a duffel bag or backpack without worrying about a more firm hat getting crushed. IIRC it arrived folded in half in the packaging and maintained the crease where it folds.
I dug it out and I'm wearing it now. Super comfy, very light weight. I take back the part about the flimsiness, the brim isn't stiff but it's got enough stout to it to withstand some wind and not blow down in your face. The sides over my ears stick out quite nicely to the sides and will definitely block sun. There's a couple loops on the sides for a neck strap but I don't remember if it came with one. I want to say it did and I removed the strap because they drive me crazy so being removable with clips is a nice feature so I can add it back if big winds are in the forecast, if that's the case then I'll need to find the darn thing. I can't attest to the breathability of the material at this point though as I'm sitting inside in the a/c. Overall I like the hat and will definitely put it to use, however I'm also a huge hoodie wearer and in most situations will likely reach for the Gila hoody or Merino 145 hoody and wear that in conjunction with a ball cap which negates the need for the boonie hat.

I have been looking at this boonie with some interest.
My current Kuiu baseball-style came folded in an envelope and has a permanent lopsided crease from shipping. It always bugs me that the brim is lower on one side than the other.
What you pay for Kuiu, you'd think they would ship it to you in better condition.

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
My current Kuiu baseball-style came folded in an envelope and has a permanent lopsided crease from shipping. It always bugs me that the brim is lower on one side than the other.
What you pay for Kuiu, you'd think they would ship it to you in better condition.
Their shipping has always seemed to be questionable 🤨

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
Their shipping has always seemed to be questionable 🤨

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered one and it works for me. I wanted something for everyday chores and hunting to keep the sun in check on the neck and face.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 35
I ordered one and it works for me. I wanted something for everyday chores and hunting to keep the sun in check on the neck and face.
How is the brim if you wad it up and stuff it in a pack for a while?
I can't use a hat that the brim stays crumpled and folded, if you know what I mean.

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
How is the brim if you wad it up and stuff it in a pack for a while?
I can't use a hat that the brim stays crumpled and folded, if you know what I mean.
I can’t really say at this point. I did notice the crease in it due to how they packaged it, but that seems to have disappeared more or less. I have noticed when folding, it “pops” back into shape like it should(just don’t know how that would be for longer periods).

I can’t really say at this point. I did notice the crease in it due to how they packaged it, but that seems to have disappeared more or less. I have noticed when folding, it “pops” back into shape like it should(just don’t know how that would be for longer periods).
Really curious about that if you want to be the test subject.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Santa got bad intel, so I got one for xmas anyway...however I think there's now a newer version? Not sure what the difference is.
Anyway, I like the light weight and the fabric, and eventually got the creases (in the brim, from shipping) to ease up a bit. But it was ridiculously tall...maybe not a top hat, but something like a fedora.
Although I mod a lot of my gear with my sewing machine, I took this one to a seamstress/tailor as I did not feel confident in doing the fine/finicky work. Lowered the top about 3/4" and now I feel it fits like a boonie should.
Just wish I did not have to mod it in the first place. Still, it will be afield with me this season.

Santa got bad intel, so I got one for xmas anyway...however I think there's now a newer version? Not sure what the difference is.
Anyway, I like the light weight and the fabric, and eventually got the creases (in the brim, from shipping) to ease up a bit. But it was ridiculously tall...maybe not a top hat, but something like a fedora.
Although I mod a lot of my gear with my sewing machine, I took this one to a seamstress/tailor as I did not feel confident in doing the fine/finicky work. Lowered the top about 3/4" and now I feel it fits like a boonie should.
Just wish I did not have to mod it in the first place. Still, it will be afield with me this season.
Do remember that when the top fabric is too close to the top of your head, the top of your head gets hot when out in the sun. Having a bit of a buffer is nice to have.

c75d42acaef1f1e9ef33708d90f8ab65.jpg

Just got mine after some reluctance. I’ve worn boonies for years in the military that are stiff/rigid and don’t breathe. This Kuiu boonie pleasantly surprised me. Slightly bigger brim than mil boonie (good), super soft, and highly breathable.

Will see how she does on the trail this wknd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do remember that when the top fabric is too close to the top of your head, the top of your head gets hot when out in the sun. Having a bit of a buffer is nice to have.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Air space above your scalp is what keeps you cool and lets sweat evaporate.
I don't want a hat against my scalp in heat.

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
Even with my big noggin, there is air space above. I have noticed this breathes very well and let’s air through to keep you cool.