KUIU Boonie hat

Where is the Kuiu Boonie hat? I need a new one, been writing them and get all different stories. Its a great hat light and packs great for hot weather.

Rodéo

WKR
They're getting exceedingly rare and demanding a premium from what I've seen. Pretty sure Kuiu stopped making them. Heard some rumors a while ago they were going to bring them back but that was a year ago and I haven't heard anything since.

Royal7

FNG
Wanted to bring this back up with the new gila boonie now out. Any reviews floating around? It seems to be considerably different than the original and didn’t know if anyone had some opinions of it
Richard

Wanted to bring this back up with the new gila boonie now out. Any reviews floating around? It seems to be considerably different than the original and didn’t know if anyone had some opinions of it
Richard

Love mine. It’s a smaller fit but with good stretch in it. It’s made with the same material as the Gila line but has mesh in the bucket part. Kept me cool all this past weekend in the Colorado heat. Wicks sweat really well too.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Richard

This is based upon my personal experience in the Phoenix area during our summer and I do not give two turds about the aesthetics of the hat nor myself while hunting. I only care if it helps deal with the sun and heat. The mix of use has been pool, yard work, scouting, and hunting for bear. The scouting and hunting did include glassing from an exposed position.

Unlike the original boogie (and current Icon material), this hat stays cool and does not transfer heat to your head. The brim is wider than the original (that I can recall) which helps out in the sun. I am a fan of the Air Mesh; I need to buy the ball cap equivalent as it works that well. While the original and current Icon cap will "sweat out", and subsequently transfer heat to your head, this does a pretty damn good job at staying dry and "cool".

I have zero plans to have this be my sole hat while hunting; however, it will get put into use when it is time to glass during the heat of the day.

I wound up buying a second one in the event that the first one gets lost/stolen/dies and Kuiu decides to not produce them anymore. Lesson learned from the first boogie (which I still miss after a fashion).

I ordered one this weekend in Valo color. I was hoping they were on sale for Labor Day but they weren't, but I need it for the hunt in Lanai coming up. Not related but also ordered a couple pairs of their new merino boxer briefs that just came out last week, figured I'd try those against the Smartwool ones which are $10-15 more expensive anyway.

I also have one of their new boonie hats. I’ve used it for golfing and yard work and it has performed great. I’m taking it next week to Montana for my archery elk hunt and expect it to perform well. Keeps the sun off and my head cool (relatively) and that is all you can ask for in a warm weather hat.

Royal7

FNG
Thanks for the input. Gonna grab one and give it a go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put mine through an extreme first use study yesterday hunting in the mountains of Oahu, it’s worth it’s weight in gold. I wish the brim was even bigger though for more sun coverage, but it breathes extremely well. I think anyone with a hat size of 7 1/2 or larger is gonna find the L/XL too small though, it fit me but I wear 7 1/4.