Anything good to do in Ames Iowa?

zacattack

WKR
Going to be in Ames Iowa all this week for work. Anything good to do? Taking my fly rod and going to try and make a trip to the northeast part of the state for some trout fishing.

oake

Lil-Rokslider
Go to the local bar and express your love for Kansas football!!

It should be good shortly after that!!

Never been couldn’t resist after the Cyclones lost yesterday.

I think you’re about an our from Brownells, if that’s of interest to you. If I make it to the area, I plan to check it out..

gabenzeke

WKR
I live just outside of Ames. Brownells is probably a bit more than an hour, but it's a cool place. There's a Scheels in west Des Moines, sportsman's warehouse in Ankeny. But not gonna lie, there's not a lot in terms of outdoor opportunities in that part of the state. You could try fly fishing the south skunk river for small mouth. But that river has gotten real low a few times over the last several years and I'm betting a lot of fish died. That said, a dad of one of my son's hockey teammates owns a restaurant called corn bred. You NEED to eat there. Go early. Place gets busy.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
I live just outside of Ames. Brownells is probably a bit more than an hour, but it's a cool place. There's a Scheels in west Des Moines, sportsman's warehouse in Ankeny. But not gonna lie, there's not a lot in terms of outdoor opportunities in that part of the state. You could try fly fishing the south skunk river for small mouth. But that river has gotten real low a few times over the last several years and I'm betting a lot of fish died. That said, a dad of one of my son's hockey teammates owns a restaurant called corn bred. You NEED to eat there. Go early. Place gets busy.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Thanks I’ll be sure and eat there.

Never been to a scheels so I’ll stop by there when I land.

Thanks for the info

HawkeyeHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely check out Scheel’s if you haven’t. Like your idea of fishing the trout streams in NE Iowa…used to do that with a buddy and was always fun. While up there, could check out Toppling Goliath Brewery in Decorah. If you don’t make it to that brewery there are several good ones in Des Moines. A short drive from Ames is Ledges State Park or the pedal train ride in Boone. I don’t care for Ames(Hawkeye alum/fan) so I try to avoid it at all cost but it is a nice campus. Full blown harvest season, at least up here in NW Iowa, so you could get out anywhere in the country and check that out. Enjoy your time in our state.