Apex Hoody

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any experience with the Apex hoody from Sitka? How does it compare as far as warmth with the Klamath or Kiln? This will mostly be used for spring turkey in PA with a merino base underneath. Pretty active run and gun. Would you ditch the Klamath and get the Apex or just keep the Klamath?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the Klamath and the Apex, and my gf has the kiln. Similar pieces, but different construction. I would say the warmth is similar between the two. The apex is made up of a mix merino in the torso and underarms, and nylon on the shoulders and outside of sleeves. My apex is a special piece and only really gets used during archery season. Where my Klamath gets used quite a bit more, but that’s a lot due to it being a solid. I know my Klamath dries quite a bit faster than my apex, but that’s also comparing grid fleece to merino. If you already have the Klamath I can’t say I could see justifying paying almost double for the apex, unless you have someone to hook you up, or you just really like sitka. All you’re really gaining is a facemask and subalpine.

I bought and sold an apex Hoody (and pants). It was a nice piece. Mid weight warmth. Quiet. i expect it would hav been very durable. I used a bino harness so the pocket didn’t thrill me. Elbow pads were cool but it think knee pads are far more useful. I just don’t do a ton of belly crawling. At the end of the day, I just could not find a lot of Goldilocks temps where it really worked in between my core lightweight and core heavyweight hoodies.

I still have and like the pants.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
That’s kind of where I’m at now. I mainly use my Klamath for early season deer stand sits in the east and I have a Helio hoody that I love for more active hunts out west. The Apex is heavier than the Klamath and I just feel like it’s be redundant. I really like the built in face mask and the pattern for turkey but it’s just too similar to other stuff I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the built in face mask on my Sitka gear but it’s honestly meh. A $15 neck gator gets you to the same place or better in terms of utility and the difference in weight is unnoticeable.

Apex hoody is a nice piece, but I do most of my hunting in the north east. Early bow can be hot. 70s or 80s but once the weather breaks it cools fast tp the 60s and below. I honestly don’t own a lot of midweight gear as a result.

Scorpion

WKR
The Apex hoody gets worn more than any other mid layer that I own, especially for archery and spring gobbler. It’s quiet and the perfect level of warmth. I dont have the Helio but do have FL Klamath, Kryptek Altitude Arma, Sitka Core Heavy, Core Mid, and Fanatic.

elliotsil

FNG
I took the elbow pads out of my apex hoody right away but it's great otherwise. Built in face mask is real convenient too. I use it as an outer layer early season and mid layer once it cools down

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy my Apex hoody also got it from Eurooptic for I think $94 ? About a month ago

Firehawk

WKR
Mine has become a very important piece of my kit. Outer layer early season archery and layered a little later in the season. Unless it is so warm I am only wearing a tshirt, the Apex is being worn. I wear it and my lightweight hoody more than anything else. Add a Mountain Vest and you get by even colder or with some wind.

Wapiti16

FNG
The Apex is my go-to for western hunting and early whitetail hunting. I LOVE the merino blend and the reinforced shoulders/arms. It's killer. I take the elbow pads out, don't need them. I wear it over my baselayer on every single western hunt. Add a jacket/vest over if you need warmth/protection.