April 8th Eclipse

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Do you plan to travel to see the eclipse? I live in Arkansas and news is reporting in excess of 1,000,000 will travel to view it in Arkansas. Local government is telling the public to treat it like a severe winter weather storm. Stock up and stay home. I just have my doubts that many will come to view a less than 5 min event. So how many here plan to drive and what distance and location to view?

CorbLand

WKR
Have family that lived right in the middle of the one that happened over Idaho a few years back. People traveled from all over to be there for it. Some rented out space on a couple acres they owned and it took a couple days to be booked up.

I would make sure that you have stuff on hand. Not because the world is going to end or anything but I wouldn’t want to deal with going to the stores for a couple days before or after.

I’ll add that I’ve already picked out a couple back up spots along the way in case we run into traffic.

Also, I lived right in the smack of the path of totality for the last one and was in an area that is already very crowded during the day (big university and hospital campus), and I really didn’t have any travel issues. I just wouldn’t plan on eating at any restaurants.

All that said, the total eclipse is one of the coolest experiences of my life. You just have to see one to appreciate it. Partial eclipses are neat, but staring at the stun through those glasses pales in comparison to when it goes totally black. It’s just so surreal.

rayporter

WKR
we made plans to be up around Clinton ar for the week end. just go in early and stay late.
rain and clouds predicted to throw a wrench in lots of plans.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
We were also directly in the path of the last one (SE Nebraska). Campground reservations were gone well in advance, and some people rented space at their farm/pasture for people to camp at, but only had limited success. We had a party at home and didn't travel, but I don't think is was awful. Interstate was backed up the morning of, but empty by the time the eclipse came. Grocery stores had plenty of food.

Rich M

WKR
When it was over Yellowstone/Jax Hole, some guys I know flew out, rented a car and went to see it, then slept in car on way back to airport the next day. They had fun on their adventure.

I've seen a handful of eclipses and don't feel it is worth the effort.

LuvDog

FNG
I'm in the Northeast, and a while ago, I was planning to book a place a few hours north and be smack in the middle of the path of totality.

But the probability of clear skies is like 20%. I figured it wasn't worth it. If the forecast for Monday is good, then I'll just step outside and see a near total eclipse instead.

OP
Y

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Well looking around on You Tube. I noticed several warnings of the end of the world. I find these types funny. They all want to be famous don't they understand if they are right there will be no one left to pat them on their back.

TxLite

WKR
Was planning to go but looks like it’s going to be rainy. Probably going to skip

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
had friends get married in the mountains for the last one. 98% totality. they should have splurged on the extra 2%. it was pretty cool, but not 100% cool.

that said, i'm too lazy to travel for this one. i did grab some glasses so i can walk outside and see the whopping 20% we're allowed up here in montana. maybe i'll get off my ass the next time it rolls around in 2044, i better be retired by then, or dead.

if your city/town collapses because of some damn tourists, well, i ain't got nothin' nice to say on that and mom's telling me to shut up.

MattB

WKR
It is funny to think the impact of travel to see the eclipse will have a tangibly more direct impact than the eclipse itself.

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
Expect the crowds! The last one in 2017 we were in the path of totality in Oregon. Hotels and any other rentals were totally booked. The roads were shut down due to the number of vehicles parked. Farmers were renting space in their fields for camping and viewing. It was nuts!

I was in eastern Oregon hunting for an annular eclipse in fall '23 and it was crowded in Paisley, Oregon! Population 250 but for that weekend there were 4x the amount of people!

Byrdman

FNG
I am not traveling to see it but my wife is. Would rather save my vacation for my elk hunt

I travelled to NE Kansas in 2017. I used the eclipse as an excuse to work on our Kansas deer camp. Totally worth the drive. Super cool experience. We set in a corn field shooting our bows until totality. We then set in bumper to bumper traffic for four hours in the middle of nowhere.

I get 3 minutes of totality at my house this year. Good enough for me. I'll be staying home and hanging out with my kids. I imagine some of the major roads in Texas are going to be a complete mess on Monday.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the path of totality for this one and just happen to be flying out in the morning, so I’m going to miss it. Will be around 330 in the afternoon here. But schools are already closed, most public offices are not going to open that day, no garbage pick up. Preparing like it will be one of the last blizzards we got. They’ve closed a lot of local parks already so people aren’t pulling in and locking things up with RVs. Hope it’s fun for the people that get to see it.