April 8th Eclipse

Not saying you naysayers are, but a lot of folks around here are confused about "just another eclipse" versus the first total solar eclipse in Texas since 1878. They think they have seen one before because of certain dimming events like last October's annular or other partial eclipse's.

I get not being excited because it only last 3-4 minutes. And the fact you need to be in totality with clear skies to truly appreciate it. But the experience is awesome and worth seeing if possible. The rapidness the moon takes us to pitch black is dramatic.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
No I get that it could be very cool. I asked my uncle Bob if he was traveling to go see it and he said he'll just close his eyes for 4 minutes and say he did.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
I live in the center of both the solar eclipses of 2023/2024. People are going nuts around here.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Seems like we just had one of these like last year. Of course the way time is flying, it might have been just before last year. I find them to be one of those whipty doo moments in time. Travel for one? Not a chance. Go outside when it happens, maybe. Already outside doing something when it unknowingly happens......most likely.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I’m just north of San Antonio and I guess I’ll stick my head outside to watch. The schools are closed for the day, “Eclipse Viewing Area” signs popping up everywhere. I’m also shocked by the number of people expected to come to the Texas Hill Country to see the eclipse, something like 1 million people coming to the Kerrville/Comfort/Fredericksburg area, supposedly.

Yoder

WKR
I'm about 4 hrs away. It sounds cool, but I can't see driving 8 hrs. I would rather go fishing.

Dos XX

WKR
We had an eclipse when I was in grade school. We made a viewer out of a box. We looked at the eclipse and said, "huh", and went back to throwing dirt clods at each other on the playground like normal. Kind of how I feel about this one. I need to get a good pile of dirt clods stacked up.

Last edited:

mjh

FNG
I saw a total eclipse as a kid. The nun's marched us all out on the the playing field, admonished us not to look at the sun, marched us all back in when it was over---I remember it being a cool event. But I'm not much excited about the April 8 eclipse. My spouse, son, and mother in law went to the one in 2017. I chose to stay home. We are going to stay at a cousins house in the path. Lucky for them hit with two eclipses in 7 years. I don't relish the idea of driving around to find clear sky's. I'm going to have to be on my best pleasant behavior. I don't like large crowds of people acting like sheep. I'll roll with it and try to have some fun. I'll be keeping my eye out for cicada's and the spring bird migration--if I had the time I'd work in some turkey hunting--but not this time. Sounds like a lot of people will be off that day---in more's way than one....If your in the path have a little fun.

Last edited:

TXCO

WKR
We used it as an excuse to see Nashville for the first time in 2017. It seemed like a normal busy city. It was August and the temp dropped like 15 degrees and all the cicadas and bugs and birds came out. It was a neat experience.

This year totality is over my parents cabin and were taking the kids for a weekend to visit the grandparents. I think itll be busy but not crazy. At least were not coming from a direction with any airports or people so traffic shouldnt be bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Not saying you naysayers are, but a lot of folks around here are confused about "just another eclipse" versus the first total solar eclipse in Texas since 1878. They think they have seen one before because of certain dimming events like last October's annular or other partial eclipse's.

I get not being excited because it only last 3-4 minutes. And the fact you need to be in totality with clear skies to truly appreciate it. But the experience is awesome and worth seeing if possible. The rapidness the moon takes us to pitch black is dramatic.
Stop it. You sound like my wife. 😀

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
the last eclipse in Idaho was a zoo. Don't laugh because it's going to happen. Maybe not that many people but there will be enough for you to pull your hair out.
We were on high alert with all the people and where they drove and parked hot exhausted cars. We got lucky and didn't get any wildfires that day.
When it was over there was hours of backed up vehicles trying to get back to Boise to go back to work.

Firth

FNG
The last total eclipse in the USA was in 2017 and the next one will be in 2044. For the one in 2017, my house was in the path of totality, and it was one of the coolest things I've witnessed in my life. We're planning to drive to Texas, if it looks like the weather will be decent. The difference between a 99% and 100% totality for an eclipse is day and night. If you needed a welding helmet or special glasses to see the eclipses you've viewed in the past, they were not total eclipses.