Ar-15 load for wolves?

MHWASH

WKR
In the spring and summer my AR-15 in .223 rides in my SxS most of the time when I'm in the mountains. What would be a good bullet to load? I know there's fans of the 77 TMK, but I'm assuming this bullet may take up too much case capacity to get very high velocity loaded to AR-15 magazine limits.

cod0396

FNG
In the spring and summer my AR-15 in .223 rides in my SxS most of the time when I'm in the mountains. What would be a good bullet to load? I know there's fans of the 77 TMK, but I'm assuming this bullet may take up too much case capacity to get very high velocity loaded to AR-15 magazine limits.
77gr TMKs can be loaded just as hot as any other mag length 77gr bullet out there. Velocity won't be an issue.

VernAK

WKR
62 gr TTSX or 60 gr NP

A large male exceeds 100 pounds and all shots are not broadside lung shots. Chances of a running away shot are high and a bit of penetration may be a deciding factor.

cod0396

FNG
I'm getting 2650 with the 77tmks out of my 16" AR
I'm getting 2700fps out of my 16" and 2780fps average out of my 18" AR. That's the black hills 5.56 load though, so I'm not sure how hand loading compares

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
62 gr TTSX or 60 gr NP

A large male exceeds 100 pounds and all shots are not broadside lung shots. Chances of a running away shot are high and a bit of penetration may be a deciding factor.
This is a great point Vern, one I hadn't given much thought to.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the 62 grain ttsx. I only have a handful of yotes for a sample size but it's a much more fur-friendly bullet than the tmk.

BLJ

WKR
@id_jon Thanks. I was hoping you would say Varget. I don’t think I can get 2650 with it, though.

Lawnboi

WKR
@Lawnboi is it you that's using varget? I'm only switching to tac because it's what I've been able to find a lot of
AR mag length and Varget may not get much. I’m at 24.2 of Varget getting a 77tmk going 2750 out of 20”. That’s at 2.4” length and a good crunch on the powder.

Xbr would be my first choice if I had to load short. I have no idea what you will get out of Varget at a short coal, but I do know, Atleast in my rifle, I couldn’t fit enough Varget in it to cause any serious pressure.

id_jon

WKR
AR mag length and Varget may not get much. I’m at 24.2 of Varget getting a 77tmk going 2750 out of 20”. That’s at 2.4” length and a good crunch on the powder.

Xbr would be my first choice if I had to load short. I have no idea what you will get out of Varget at a short coal, but I do know, Atleast in my rifle, I couldn’t fit enough Varget in it to cause any serious pressure.
Right, I forgot you were loading long for your tikka. 👍

DRNalaska

FNG
62 gr TTSX or 60 gr NP

What powder are you using for the 62gr TTSX?

BLJ

WKR
I’m loading to AR mag length and Varget is what I got. A couple different manuals have 23.7-23.9 as compressed. If I can eek out 2600ish I’ll be happy. I’ve gotta feeling it’s gonna be pretty crunchy.

VernAK

WKR
What powder are you using for the 62gr TTSX?
Varget......about 33grs for 3375 fps........I shoot TTSXs in several calibers and rifles and I've quit experimenting with seating depth. All of my cartridges group well when TTSX is seated to top groove....usually a long jump. On heavier calibers I slightly crimp with a Lee Collet Crimping Die

DRNalaska

FNG
Varget......about 33grs for 3375 fps........I shoot TTSXs in several calibers and rifles and I've quit experimenting with seating depth. All of my cartridges group well when TTSX is seated to top groove....usually a long jump. On heavier calibers I slightly crimp with a Lee Collet Crimping Die
Perfect, I’ve got some car get laying around. Thanks for the info!

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
You might want to look at the 50gr ttsx. It opens quicker but will penetrate pretty well. I'm at work so can't look, but I think I used H335 and at the top end.

I wouldn't loose any sleep with just about any choice for wolves. Even fmj would be fine. Just poke a hole.