AR hunters

Boltgun

FNG
And I find an AR to be easier to carry than a Boltgun when carried at the low ready with a two point sling. It’s certainly much faster than a slung boltgun for jump shooting, and doesn’t snag on overhead vines or branches.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I love hunting with AR’s. I’ve hunted Iowa, MN, and Wyoming with 6.5 Grendel and 350 Legend. I’ve taken 2 white tails and a pronghorn. Theyre ultra convenient to walk around with and perfect for hunting. I think they’re only going to keep becoming more popular as Fudd mentality dies out after people realize all of the benefits for hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_2002.jpeg
    IMG_2002.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 49
  • RenderedImage.jpeg
    RenderedImage.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 47
Could be the primers are just a bit on the hard side, or seated just a touch off, etc to where the lessened hammer force of that trigger was enough to cause issues.
Possibly. I’ve only shot the gun 330 times with zero issues. So, not sure what caused this. I’ve used 30 of this Buffalo bore ammo and the other 300 rounds have been a mixture of underwood and reloads.

The trigger was my first idea of the problem, and it won’t be eliminated.

It’s all good. Still filled the freezer. Thankful for back up rifles (though hunting in a boat helps with that weight distribution).

I hunt with a couple ARs in 22 and 6mm cal. I would say it’s a trade off between platforms (bolt vs AR) for me on feel.

However, I hunt out east which feels like the minority here. It seems like a lot of the guys talking about liking bolt guns so much better are also hiking a lot, I.e. a big portion of their hunt is walking. Here, where we walk to a blind/stand/spot walking is the minority of the hunt and weight/carry ability is not a huge concern.

AR’s have definitely taken up the majority of my hunts lately because of their ability for follow-up or multiple shot scenarios

Last edited:
I wanted a 6mm ARC and had a Bushmaster XM15 sitting the safe so bought a Grendel Hunter upper and so far my one trip to the range was good. I will probably load at truck and walk in with safety on like others had mentioned. I like the ergos of the AR except the freezing cold hand guard but I will probably concoct something to counter that.

80f2dd579efe293d79b17185d3f7ca1b.jpg

DB-15 with a larue stealth upper
Timney Gold
Harvester Evo
Razor 2-10x42 lh
77 TMK

This gun shots them at 1.2 moa for 30 rounds. Does the trick for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice buck for sure.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have an AR in 308 I built up. Killed a number of pigs with it. And my buddies kid used it for his first elk. It’s a little on the heavy side for packing around on an elk hunt all day, but the minimal recoil was ideal for the kids first big game hunt.

For you dudes that carry an AR in the cold, go to a sporting goods store and snatch a pair of them longer wrist sweat guards and slide them over your hand rail. Works pretty good. I’ve been doing this for about a decade now.

Sounds good. I’ll definitely give that a go.

I used an AR-15 in 5.56 for whitetail hunting for the first time last year to try out the 77 gr TMK that is talked about so much on here. It is a 16” pencil barrel. I used a 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff I had sitting in the safe. I’m looking to upgrade optics before next season.

I used an AR-15 in 5.56 for whitetail hunting for the first time last year to try out the 77 gr TMK that is talked about so much on here. It is a 16” pencil barrel. I used a 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff I had sitting in the safe. I’m looking to upgrade optics before next season.

Overall did you like it in the field?

RedGreen

FNG
I don't own one but most likely will. Most of my hunting is out east so prefer to have that second shot ready immediately for the pigs I have been hunting. I don't personally buy the reliability argument over a bolt gun. Design wise, yes absolutely fair point. Practically speaking? They have been proven in military service for decades,, so they are good enough for me. Its getting an AR10 to be relatively light that's the rub, compared to a bolt gun.

Last edited:
The only reason I use my AR pistol is for the MN shotgun zone. 11.5" barrel chamber in 5.56 shooting the 77gr TMK ammo and with an Aimpoint T-2. Not sure on weight.

Weldor

WKR
Hunted Bison and whitetail and turkey (Texas) . Bison in New Mexico 1 Shot 165 GMX 200 yds. Texas whitetails 150 noslers same for the Turkey. Roam 308 5.9 lbs. Suppressed and scoped 8.4 lbs. I changed out the optic for a lighter one. Maven 2x12.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 22

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
Deer wtih an AR-15 450 bushmaster, 3-9x40 scope. simple and effective
Coyote/varmint with an AR-10 22 Creedmoor, AGM rattler thermal/4-12x40 on QR bases for day time.

Overall did you like it in the field?
I did. I have had it for nearly 10 years and was very comfortable with it before using it for hunting. It was also my first year hunting with a suppressor so that contributed to me liking it. It was nice not having to worry about hearing protection or my ears ringing after a shot. The AR-15 with a suppressor was shorter than the bolt action I primarily used in the past.