AR vs Bolt

Every once in a while I get the bug to do more stuff with ARs. Doesn't take long to remember why I like bolt guns. The recoil impulse, the noise (especially with a can), the way they trash brass, gas in the face, and general handling characteristics while hunting with an AR not attractive.
That sounds like a poorly tuned (specifically, over-gassed) gun. This is more common then not as manufacturers often use excessively large gas ports to make up for crappy ammo with low or inconsistent pressure. However, ARs should never have harder recoil impulses then guns of like caliber and non reciprocating actions; physics just doesn't allow for it.

The first time I shot a well-tuned JP rifle, it was eye opening how different it was than the rack grade Colt I'd used prior. When you get that rifle dialed in with the right combination of buffer weight, spring, gas block, and gas port, to say nothing of a good muzzle device, it's almost surreal how gentle the recoil is.

That sounds like a poorly tuned (specifically, over-gassed) gun. This is more common then not as manufacturers often use excessively large gas ports to make up for crappy ammo with low or inconsistent pressure. However, ARs should never have harder recoil impulses then guns of like caliber and non reciprocating actions; physics just doesn't allow for it.

The first time I shot a well-tuned JP rifle, it was eye opening how different it was than the rack grade Colt I'd used prior. When you get that rifle dialed in with the right combination of buffer weight, spring, gas block, and gas port, to say nothing of a good muzzle device, it's almost surreal how gentle the recoil is.

You're correct in regards to it being over gassed. So I would add the lack of any consideration for "tuning" the gas on a bolt rifle as another win.

By recoil impulse i wasn't talking about how hard a rifle recoils just the feeling of a bunch of shit going on with the action working, spring boinging, etc vs the singular recoil of a bolt gun. Maybe some of the experience i'm thinking about is more auditory than feel as well. I'd bet this has something to do with tune as well though. I always preferred the recoil impulse of my gas winchester 12 ga over the inertia of benellis where you could feel the action working vs just a pop with the gasser. So if they can do it with gas 12 ga, its probably that way on a nicely tuned gas rifle. I just haven't dicked with it.

Thank you for explaining, I get what you mean now.

If we're fair in assessing "tuning", the very fact that gas guns are tunable also creates opportunities for some of the softest, comfiest shooting available (reference that JP rifle I mentioned previously). Oftentimes people don't want to mess around with guns but I think it's reasonable to say unwillingness to do so is willfully leaving measurable improvements on the table. Unlike with many guns, AR's are extremely easy to tune to work well.

For clarity, I'm not firmly in a camp of an AR > bolt gun, but I do think that objectively an AR provides an astounding amount of flexibility for the majority of shooters and hunters alike. Even bottom of the barrel AR's these days are reasonably if not impressively accurate, reasonably if not impressively reliable (sometimes more reliable than bolt guns if we compare mean rounds between failures, whether shooter induced / mag related / etc), and reasonably if not impressively durable, and I would argue an AR is easier to tinker around with, improve, or fix than a bolt gun. If you've got room in the safe for exactly 1 long gun, it would be extraordinarily hard to beat a well made AR15, even for hunting.

No, I just have her as a grizzly alert and if necessary, distraction system. She will also locate downed animals. On the trail and while calling she stays at my side. This past weekend we had wolves on three sides all howling at less than 50yds and she just sat quietly waiting for me to shoot.

UGHHH... no thanks! lol that sounds like im being hunted and not being at the top of the food chain bothers me.

Back