Archery elk vs. Rifle elk

I have archery hunted for 23 years out west. But it's my first time ever rifle hunting elk. To the group. What do you find are the biggest differences between the two besides the weapon.

Do you change tactics or do you find success because elk hunting is elk hunting?

Are you aggressive with archery and laid back with rifle?

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
What time of year? Late season (November) the bulls will pull away from the herd and are either solo or bacholored back up which is nice (preferred). October post rut, the bulls will still be with the circus of the herd. Migration routes? Their feeding habits change, they will be in transition areas before migration depending on the time of year. Where you are (terrain/elevation) and the time of year during rifle are completely different than September.

Last edited:
OP
K
This isn't about elk. What changes with you?
Example - I can't get my dad to sit still rifle hunting deer. He wants to bust brush and push timber cuts like he's blacktail hunting and it's Oct 10th mule deer. No changing who he is.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I don't change as a hunter just because it's a different weapon season. If he likes to walk, let him, finding elk is the hardest part. It's what you value, if you guys just want to hunt and shoot anything then just go for a walk with your rifle. If you're serious about a quality animal then you need to take it as serious as archery.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This isn't about elk. What changes with you?
Archery - warm hunting, less clothes, less bulk, less weight, small pack, enjoyable, fun......did I mention warm?

Rifle - colder, snow, more clothes, more bulk, more weight, bigger pack, not much fun......and the cold sucks.

I still cover a lot of ground either way, but cover even more ground during rifle generally because I have to keep moving all day to stay warm. Success rates are similar, but I've shot a lot more big bulls during archery than rifle.

When a shot is fired with a rifle, elk blow out of the country. When you sling an arrow, that more often than not isn’t the case.

Overdrive

WKR
About the only thing that changes for me is the location I hunt Archery vs Rifle, Two completely different areas of the state.

I also spend a lot more time glassing during rifle season.

Spend more time doing call sets during archery season.

I enjoy both but anymore where I hunt it's less crowded during Rifle season so that's what I opt for, plus I can throw in a Deer tag and chase bigger bucks at the same time.

Rifle - Hunters road hunt more often. Stay away from roads.

I think you can be a bit more aggressive with Rifles as you can close to 300-400 yds pretty quickly compared to stalking within 40 -50 yds with a bow. When you have to get that close you need to be very stealth. Not so much at 300 - 400 yds.

All really depends on the time of year and the where you are hunting. Some units that have lots of pressure I’m more aggressive, if I get back far in I can take a more east approach. All of my bulls I killed were October post rut, on otc units. Bulls there live dark timber in daylight hours till nighttime.

Marble

WKR
Archery is more calling and getting in close with more aggression. Hitting water spots and looking for signs a bull is in the area.

Rifle, I spot a lot. And I mean a lot. If I'm not seeing the animals I want to see ill spot all day and locate a herd I can get on. When I do this my success is very high.

I also hit timber during rifle, seeking through and catching bulls in their bed. If you do this enough times, usually you'll see a lot of elk sign prior to finding one.

I will generally have a route with good vantage points of places I know elk hang out at and hung that until 9 or so, then I'll either sit or hit timber. Usually both with a nap thrown in since I'm normally up at 3am during rifle.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Traveler

WKR
Depends when the hunt is. If the same time frame I’d hunt the same areas in same ways. Typically rifle is later so the area will be different based on time of year and generally more glassing.

Definitely different. During archery I run and gun like turkey hunting. I’m way lighter because I’m not packing heavy clothes and not wearing as much. So it’s fun. You can lay down and take a cat nap anywhere. If it’s hot I’m in the shade. If it’s cool I’m in the sun. I love topping out over a ridge into a fresh hole and listening for awhile then starting to throw some calls there. That’s how I locate elk.

Gun season means wearing heavy clothes. Packing extra layers for sitting. One being a Sitka Incinerator parka which is also a but bulky. It also might mean a spotting scope. I’m a completely different hunter. My technique for locating elk is glassing from the very best vantage points in the area. I’m a spot and stalk hunter. Yes I kill elk when I’m on the move. Anything can happen. But my goal is to NOT SPOOK MY ELK! I was young too and covering ground was a blast. We were exploring. We also heard lots of hoofbeats from elk we never saw. Not good for several reasons.

I can hunt pressured elk. But nothing beats hunting elk that don’t even know it’s hunting season. I have a little saying I repeat to myself once in awhile. “The first sign that I am in this area will be when the cows hear thunder and see the bull fall over dead.” Until then I’m non existent. I’m not making any noise and I’m not putting scent all over the place. A sniper.

I’ve watched elk for 3 days at about 900-1500 yards before things were right for me to make a move. You have to remember that it has to be fun. I love sitting because I know that once I spot a shooter bull he has no clue I’m there. I have the upper hand. My chances of killing him are extremely high as long as I keep my wits and have a solid plan. My confidence helps me sit longer.

If your dad wants to walk you’ll probably have to let him. Forcing him to sit will be like hunting with a 12 year old. It’s boring. They’re thinking about other stuff. Wondering what’s over there and down there. It’s not fun and they aren’t confident. So the best thing is to still hunt properly. Done right it’s definitely a legit tactic. You better be dropping down in the holes where the elk are. Finding upper and mid slope benches where they travel and bed. No running the ridge tops enjoying the scenery. Once you’re down there (or up there) it’s time to slooooooowww down. One step at a time. Glassing ahead all the way. Move like the shadows. Sit a lot. When I come to a really elky spot I might sit for 30 minutes. Maybe an hour. Isn’t that what elk do? You have all day so no hurry. A great scenario is you are sitting there eating some elk jerky and you hear hoofbeats, or see movement down below and it’s on. You’ve actually let the elk come to you. Like deer hunting in a stand. If his idea of rifle hunting elk is the same as busting rabbits out of brush piles he’s doomed. But if he’s having fun don’t worry about it. Go your own way and do what makes you happy. That way nobody is ready to leave a day or two early. Screw that!

Depends on your tactics for archery. If you’re used to calling or having them called it will be different. If you typically spot and stalk with bow then it’s a lot alike, just take the shot from farther away.