Archery Mule Deer SD

Ggarrett

FNG
Hoping to draw a non-res archery mule deer tag in SD for this coming fall. I am more drawn to the badlands area just because it is country I have yet to see. Can I expect to find decent herd numbers? I assume there aren't as many in the badlands as the NW corner based on harvest data, or is that more likely due to hunters favoring that corner over the badlands? When looking for deer is there certain vegetation they will favor or do they just graze? I understand the national park can not be hunted but is the Badlands wilderness area legal to hunt ( I intend to talk to game and fish regardless)? After looking through numerous threads I understand being mobile and not attached to any specific spot is the name of the game, with that said how long do y'all usually give an area before y'all move on and when y'all do move how far is it y'all go?

I understand there are no definite answers to most of these questions as they can vary year to year but I appreciate any help given.

KurtR

WKR
Im am usually an optimist but our deer numbers have went in the toilet. As for moving if i dont see anything in the morning or evening im on to the next area. If your expectations are a 130-140 mulie it can be done but the 180's around every corner days have come on gone.

OP
G

Ggarrett

FNG
Im am usually an optimist but our deer numbers have went in the toilet. As for moving if i dont see anything in the morning or evening im on to the next area. If your expectations are a 130-140 mulie it can be done but the 180's around every corner days have come on gone.
I would love to kill a 180” deer just as much as the next guy but my expectations are not nearly that high. I’m just trying to get my feet wet with the hopes of tipping something over mature, any deer will suffice for me.

Beagle001

FNG
“with that said how long do y'all usually give an area before y'all move on and when y'all do move how far is it y'all go?”

If you are truck camping and have all your gear and the ability to be super mobile, make sure you get one morning in a spot but then move on if things are dead. If it looks promising, give it two mornings.

Hoping to draw, myself. Don’t set any crazy expectations, hunt with an open mind and enjoy hunting a beautiful state. I’ve ate my tag there… many times.

SDSmacker

FNG
Hoping to draw a non-res archery mule deer tag in SD for this coming fall. I am more drawn to the badlands area just because it is country I have yet to see. Can I expect to find decent herd numbers? I assume there aren't as many in the badlands as the NW corner based on harvest data, or is that more likely due to hunters favoring that corner over the badlands? When looking for deer is there certain vegetation they will favor or do they just graze? I understand the national park can not be hunted but is the Badlands wilderness area legal to hunt ( I intend to talk to game and fish regardless)? After looking through numerous threads I understand being mobile and not attached to any specific spot is the name of the game, with that said how long do y'all usually give an area before y'all move on and when y'all do move how far is it y'all go?

I understand there are no definite answers to most of these questions as they can vary year to year but I appreciate any help given.
The badlands wilderness area is part of the national park so you can't hunt there. The SD GFP public hunting atlas found on their website is a good map of where you can hunt along with any access trails.

Bergy-Bowsmith

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted various areas of SD the last few years with a bow , all on public land. From october-late November 10 days at a time, filled my tag on a 150 or better all but one year , and the one year I shot under a 150 it was my first year out there and took the opportunities I was given.

The deer heard across the state is healthier then people give it credit . There are alot of deer to be had and alot of deer to pick through. I've personally never hunted the badlands. But hear good stuff about it, I have just learned and hones in on my two other areas I tend to go to when I have the tag. I'm still debating to put in this year or not as my wife wants to go 2025, and I'm not sure if I'll draw if I draw again this year. I have about 24 hours to make that decision though.

If you get the tag good luck ! You'll have a blast no doubt !

KurtR

WKR
I've hunted various areas of SD the last few years with a bow , all on public land. From october-late November 10 days at a time, filled my tag on a 150 or better all but one year , and the one year I shot under a 150 it was my first year out there and took the opportunities I was given.

The deer heard across the state is healthier then people give it credit . There are alot of deer to be had and alot of deer to pick through. I've personally never hunted the badlands. But hear good stuff about it, I have just learned and hones in on my two other areas I tend to go to when I have the tag. I'm still debating to put in this year or not as my wife wants to go 2025, and I'm not sure if I'll draw if I draw again this year. I have about 24 hours to make that decision though.

If you get the tag good luck ! You'll have a blast no doubt !
It’s not though. You have nothing to compare it to if you have only been here the last few years. Compared to five years ago it s down substantially compared to 10 years ago it’s down immensely. 10 years ago license were double they were handing out triple rifle any deer deer tags like candy as herds of 100 plus mules were common from east of the river to out west. If your averaging a 150 and coming to hunt archery for a week you are a way better hunter than 99% of the people.

Bergy-Bowsmith

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not though. You have nothing to compare it to if you have only been here the last few years. Compared to five years ago it s down substantially compared to 10 years ago it’s down immensely. 10 years ago license were double they were handing out triple rifle any deer deer tags like candy as herds of 100 plus mules were common from east of the river to out west. If your averaging a 150 and coming to hunt archery for a week you are a way better hunter than 99% of the people.
I'm just saying in my experience in SD it's not uncommon for me to pick through bucks on the trips I've taken. And like I mentioned I'm inly hunting public and I can count on 1 hand how many people I've ran into. I think alot of people blow stuff out of the water with exaggeration.

Good luck this year.

KurtR

WKR
I'm just saying in my experience in SD it's not uncommon for me to pick through bucks on the trips I've taken. And like I mentioned I'm inly hunting public and I can count on 1 hand how many people I've ran into. I think alot of people blow stuff out of the water with exaggeration.

Good luck this year.
Whats being exaggerated? Facts are deer numbers are way down. How many years have you been coming here to know what a healthy deer heard looks like.

Bergy-Bowsmith

Lil-Rokslider
Whats being exaggerated? Facts are deer numbers are way down. How many years have you been coming here to know what a healthy deer heard looks like.
Relax my friend I'm just stating my opinion , I'm entitled to that. I've been going to SD every year for the past 6 years. Great success , smallest buck was 124" ( 1st year) , biggest buck I've shot there was 181", with my average landing between 150"-160" , all on public with a bow , the deer are there and I find a good number not sure what to tell you .

mdp22

FNG
I hunt private west river and the rancher told me a couple days ago that the herd around there was down but it usually bounces back. East river where I hunt seems to be down this year, South Dakota is crazy in the ups and downs especially with EHD. Some counties have enough deer to cause nuisances one year and the next year you don't see a thing.

Bergy-Bowsmith

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt private west river and the rancher told me a couple days ago that the herd around there was down but it usually bounces back. East river where I hunt seems to be down this year, South Dakota is crazy in the ups and downs especially with EHD. Some counties have enough deer to cause nuisances one year and the next year you don't see a thing.
Definatly agree it can fluctuate some years are more difficult then others , but if you put the work in, hike a bit, and glass alot I'd be hard pressed to not find a decent buck.

However my consideration of a decent buck varies depending on the state I'm in, if I'm in Colorado on a 1-2 point unit, I'm probably passing 140-160" bucks looking for a 170+.

If I'm in Nebraska , I'm probably looking for a 130"-145" buck.

If I'm on a 100% draw odds/ otc tag in CO, MT,ND,UT,ID, I'm probably looking for a 150-160" if not a little better if I can find one.

I play every situation based on what I'm seeing in the area and try to target that upper caliber of deer based on what I'm seeing in the unit or area.